heathert
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heather
Royston GA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  2:46:29 PM  Show Profile
I started back working in November and had to put my son into daycare.
My husband didn't like the original facility we had him in so we switched him to one that we thought would be wonderful, we were wrong. We are now in the process of legal matters with this daycare concerning "cruelty to a child." I have left my job determined to raise my child at a safe environment at home. I want a way to incorporate our surroundings into a learning experience for my son. He's only two(and 1/2!)but so eagered to learn new things~any suggestions or ideas? I worked with children in a classroom environment before but we only had access to supplies indoors-not out, help!
**We are in the process of transforming some of the property for goats and a possible chicken coop**

The Rustic Star Farm

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile
we have never had the traditional swing-set with slide for our yard, I've always wanted my children to make their own entertainment. The swing-set can be at the grandparents house, but not for our home.

here's a list of some of the things we provide for our crew as to use outside:

special kid-sized shovels, garden hoes, rake, bucket, wheel barrow, gloves, watering cans
dress-up clothes for lots and lots of pretend play--gardening outfits, cowboy outfits, knight outfits, old shirts for "working" in, aprons, belts, boots
plastic see-through jars, baggies, shoe boxes for collecting bugs, magnifying glass
toys that can come outside and even be left in the rain or get wet with dew--old bears, dolls, garage sale toys, drive-through kids' meal toys, cars
a dump truck that is of manageable size for your child to use in the dirt
a good selection of balls to kick around
blankets and towels that can be used for imaginary play outside and you don't mind getting used outside
sunglasses
a house like stucture for him to play house or jail or castle with, like a big plastic barbie type house or something along those lines--check garage sales or ask people
paint brushes and buckets for "painting"--tinted water on a wooden fence or building
sandbox
bikes & trikes
wagon
pretend tools until he is old enough for some of the real ones
a little pool
little table and chairs
broom, squirt bottle
old dishes, old utensils, old pots & pans
craft items to make pirates maps, binoculars
they love tents and "furniture" for outside

Your child will do what he is interested in, you can provide him with some options--not too many at once of course.

Our first child wasn't interested in playing outside by himself, he always wanted someone to talk to, then when his sister came they played pretend stuff all the time. Our third child likes to round up the animals outside and hold court. Children are all just very different. You never know what will interest them. Our daughters will ignore their dolls, but they will make a blanket or a pillow into a pretend baby and play with that. I don't understand it, but that's okay.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  4:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I taught preschool for many years. I have a suggestion as far as what to do daily. I like to set a program and then work withtin it. So here is what I would do. First set up a schedule. Mondays are for painting for art, music for group time and sand toys for large muscle outside. Then set a schedule for tuesday etc. I woulod do a coloring day, food day, scrap art day, also I would do science/music/etc every other day then for outside we'd have a water day, sand day, hiking day, garden day. ok so then i would do a weekly theme and use that along with my schedule to plan specific activities. I found it easy to plan if I already had an idea of how the day would go. If today is monday and the theme is creepy crawly, then I would sponge paint ants, sing itsy bitsy spider and the ants go marching, build an ant house outside and for snack make ants on a log. Hope this helps!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  6:38:37 PM  Show Profile
If you are wanting a preschool curriculum... I used www.handsonhomeschooling.com and we loved it. It gave my boys a really ood basis for the A Beka work they are doing now.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Curriculum Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page