Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Making sausage from ground meat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making sausage from ground meat Next Topic  

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  09:58:33 AM  Show Profile
One of the BakeOvers in the Farm issue has potatoes and elk sausage. I have quite a bit of ground elk and deer. How do you make sausage? Is it just the spices that you add or is there other stuff? I'd like to use up the meat and hamburger dishes get really boring.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile
you will need to add pork fat, cause elk meat is too dry otherwise, then just add your sausage spices, its really yummy.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  5:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Around here, to make deer sausage people add ground hog meat/fat to it. Elk and deer are very lean meats so to make a good sausage, either link or patty, you'll have to add some kind of fat to it. I make turkey breakfast sausage patties, and what i did was use pre-made pork sausage (only because the store was out of straight pork fat trimmings) and it turned out great. In my mind, I just thought about how store bought sausage's consistency is and it's pretty fatty! This gave me an idea of how I wanted my end product to be. If you will go to my blog, my last post was on making the sausage.

I am not sure exactly how to proceed in your case, but if you own a meat grinder, I'd thaw out your ground meat, season to taste, mix in some pork fat/sausage, and grind it with a fine grind plate. If you want patties, just form them, put waxed paper in between the stacks, and put it all in a freezer bag/paper. I don't know if that's the best protocol, but that way it would get all nice and mixed up really well.

:0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Thats waht I did and it was great.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  10:21:33 PM  Show Profile
We add beef suet to our ground meats. You have to freeze it and grind it pretty fine first though. My DH forgot to add the suet last time, so we basically deep fried it in oil. That works pretty good as well. We even made little sausage meatballs and dropped them in the deep fryer then topped them with spaghetti sauce. YUMMY!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your replies. It sounds like I could get already ground pork fat if I ask for it? And then just add it to my own meat, I guess. What spices do you add? I remember my mom making sausage years ago from ground moose and she added a lot of sage.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making sausage from ground meat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page