Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 I'm thinkin' Christmas already.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic I'm thinkin' Christmas already..... Next Topic  

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  8:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Last year I bought all of our gifts and never did get into the holiday spirit. So, this year I'm starting early making things and I'm starting with my husband's family. I'm planning on making "gift baskets" and could really use some good old farmgirl input!!

Here's the plan...they will be farmgirl kitchen in theme.

1. Embroidered dishtowel
2. Knit disclothes
3. Quilted potholders
4. some type of "jar" food...like a casserole in a jar, bread in a jar, cake in a jar, dip mix, etc.

I really need some ideas for inexpensive containers that I could use instead of baskets and also for some little things I could buy to tuck in to make is more special. If anyone has any ideas I would really love to hear them!!
Thanks, Debbie

Count your blessings!

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  8:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Debbie maybe make some gift bags with fabric and tie with a ribbon!???? And how about some receipe cards pen, magnets, bag clips, coasters(knit or crochet) napkins and holders. Just a few! hope that helps some.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:19:31 PM  Show Profile
My thrift store sales baskets for pennys. And a case of quart jars is only 10.00 with lids. and dollar stores have plastic containers for wait for it a dollar. Great idea I am starting mine too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  04:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas! I like them all especially the recipe card idea...I have a great rubber stamp for making my own cards! Also, I never thought of the dollar store for jars...will have to check it out because they are a lot more at the farm store which is where I usually get them! Thanks alot!!

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am starting my Christmas too. Most of mine will be shipped to Ohio. I set aside a big plastic bin to put stuff in. I am going to make scarves, ornies and who knows what else.

I think the basket idea is a good one for the sister in law I live with.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Amy - what are ornies?

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on what are ornies? My mind isn't even coming up with a guess.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile
ornies=ornaments

I do gift baskets every year for my grown kids and their families. Last Christmas they were food themed--salsa, rubs for barbecue, aprons, potholders. One year it was a family fun night theme with games, a movie, popcorn, carmel and peanut butter popcorn, wine for the adults. My mom always does them big bags of mixes--soup mix, cocoa mix, shake and bake mix. It's fun and a good thing to start early.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Aprons!!!! Perfect for a farmgirl basket.

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  11:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the clarification on "ornies", it was perfectly obvious once explained. LOL

Farmgirl Sister #506
hiddentreasures-bluff.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  2:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Yes, ornies is ornaments. Sorry, I have been a stitcher for years.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  06:16:14 AM  Show Profile
hankies,chapstick,soap handmade or homemade of course. I love gift baskets they are so fun because you can stick a multitude of goodies in it. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  03:42:35 AM  Show Profile
I've started my Christmas already also. I'm making the pocket pillow ( a pillow with a large pocket on the front to store remotes, magazines, pens, ets,)(we had a swap for it just recently and they came out really cute) for some of the men folk in my family and every year i give a basket of ornaments to my children, usually one hallmark ornament and then others from thrift stores and such, but this year, I've decided instead of that, I'm making all of the ornaments. I have already started. I love Christmas!!!! I have 3 grown sons, 1 grown daughter, and 2 daughters by marriage. Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  04:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Beth - how big is the pillow and the pocket - would/could you post a picture. Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks - Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
hiddentreasures-bluff.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:03:58 AM  Show Profile
There is already a photo on the Farmgirl Swap forum page. Look for the thread, Pocket Pillow Swap, and you will see a photo there. Hope this helps, Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  2:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Marcia "Celticheart" If you would like to adopt me and send me one of those delightfull sounding christmas baskets I am sure my mom woundnt mind. LOL

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  8:28:55 PM  Show Profile
OK Robin. I have four kids. What's one more?

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:11:56 AM  Show Profile
Ha, you ladies are already ahead of me!!! I am pregnant and due in the beginning of October, so I just realized that if I'm going to do a homemade Christmas this year, I'd better get on it! This year I'm going to try my hand at soap making! So I'm knitting up a munch of washcloths to go with those. I'm also going to use some of the projects that have been featured in the MJF magazines! Teacup birdfeeders, the sweatershall, the fly fishing jewelry and perhaps the knit slippers. Last year I made homemade doggie treats for all my family/friends with dogs and they were a big hit, so I may make those again. It was like baking a batch of cookies and over cooking them, strange, but the doggies seemed to love them! I'm also going to make 2 stepping stones for Grampy - one for each of his grandkids (my soon to be two children) with their names and handprints. I read somewhere about this grandfather who made stones like that and then everytime his grandkids came over for a visit, he would hide their stones in the garden and the kids had to go find their own stone. When they did, they got a special treat. I thought that would be a really fun gift for him, as it would be something special he could do with the kids each time they visit. Also going to be making ornaments...oh and am putting together a gift basket for Grammy about vegetable gardening - some name stakes, a waterproof pen, the Sunset book of Vegetable Gardening and maybe a nice pair of gloves or some heirloom seed packets. She grows her own tomatoes but has been talking about expanding the garden a bit - she just doesn't know what to plant. So that's all I've come up with so far! Good luck ladies and Merry (early) Christmas!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Bath salts are also something that can be inexpensive and fun. Just combine Epsom Salts, seasalt and essential oils that you/or they may like. I love them. Add to any gift basket or make them in mason jars as a gift by themselves. Lavender and orange are always good or a Winter Blend is always good. For me suggestions e-mail me..

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic I'm thinkin' Christmas already..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page