prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  6:28:31 PM  Show Profile
I know you guys are not dr.'s. but I am fed up to my eyeballs with my migraines, stealing weeks from every month. I am on my 6th day of this last one. I take relpax.
Is there an herb I could take everyday to prevent them? If so how much do you take?
are you allowed to tell me these things? I mean I know this is just advice.
I am ever so frustrated!

Prudence
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Heres some info that might help you Prudence.

Some other herbs which are claimed to be of help for migraine headaches include: ordinary black or green tea; peppermint, valerian, vervain, lime blossom, coriander seed, wood betony. All taken as a tea.
If heat is helpful in reducing headache pain, feverfew might help. But if cold is helpful, then feverfew probably will not help. But you could try taking it regularly as a preventative.

Eating 10-12 almonds is the equivalent of 2 aspirin tblets and will reduce pain withou t upsetting the stomach.

Take a small glass of cucumber juice daily. This is especially helpful if the migraines are part of menopausal symptoms.

Place some freshly peeled Lemon rind onto a handkerchief. Place the handkerchief, with the yellow side of the peel against the skin. Remove when a burning sensation begins, by which time the headache should have gone. Particularly good for migraine headaches.

Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh and here is a great website for you.
http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/migraine/mig_herbal.htm

I will be praying that your headaches will go away. Much love to you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Gosh that's a hard one. I suffered from migraines until I had a hysterectomy-never had one after that. If it is menstrual related there has to be some kind of herb that would relate to estrogen levels.

I am sorry you are suffering-I have been there and done that girlfriend!

The only thing that would help me was Imitrex or a good old shot of Demerol---

My DH knew the minute my "headache" would begin. He'd tuck me in bed, pull the drapes, get me a huge icepack and something to throw up in. Three days later I would be up and around...this would happen every single month.

I do believe that if you are properly HYDRATED that it would make a big difference in the severity of the migraine; for me it was. If anything Prudy drink lots of water every day!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  04:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Prudence,
I too suffer from long migraines, wishing they would just disappear for us! Here is what I have that works as long as I am consistant. ( remember I am not a doctor. . . so be sure you check with yours before trying something different. . . don't want any other health issues to surface) First thing, my basic migraines are brought on by one of two things. . . stress or the Sulfate found in onions, the skin of a grape,(wine will give you a migraine in this case), garlic and raisins.

I take Valerian daily to help with the stress level( if I don't I will end up with a migraine for sure), I have a pain tea which I need to start using at the very first sign of a migraine coming on. . you know, those little things that "swim across your eyes" like a little black dot, the tea is mixed up by a certified herbalist. It has several different herbs based on your headache type and needs to be worked at to get the formula just right for you. . . so my formula would not be the same as yours.

As with any medicine you take, herbs need to be taken carefully as well. You can take to much of an herb and end up with health problems from it. So, my absolute best advice is to find an herbalist that lives near you or find one online that you can call for a consultation. Well worth your time!!! They are simply amazing folks!

Hope your feeling better soon, and please let me know how you make out.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns

Edited by - JojoNH on May 13 2010 04:17:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  06:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Prudence, I am also a Migraine sufferer but have never gotten prescription meds. When I feel a headache coming on I immediately drink ALOT of water. Like Melody said Hydration is so important (in anyone but I think especially to those of us prone to headaches)
Joanna's reply made me think about keeping a journal of what I ate, etc. before the Migraine started, to see if I am actually ingesting something triggering it.

I take a bath (just using epsom salts - most scents are a no no for me with a migraine), by unscented candlelight because the lights are too bright and place a wet washcloth on my head. I then have a cup of tea usually a relaxation tea like Nighty Night by Traditional Medicinals. It helps to relax me.

Connie (Nature Maiden) makes herbal inhalers. She has one for headache relief. I have tried it, it is Lavender/Peppermint scented. It does help to relax a little and the scent actually is pleasing even with a headache.

When all else fails it's Excedrin and cold Pepsi for me.

I wish I were more of a help to you, I can so relate to your pain and discomfort. I am praying for you and the other ladies for healing and comfort.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 13 2010 06:21:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  12:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies. I printed out all the replies and will give each one a try.

Prudence
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  5:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I use several things. There's a good herbal rub called "Secret's of Eden" Migraine Relief rub. White willow bark and feverfew (I need to strain my tincture on that one). Extra water!!

I have been drinking water with ginger root, ccumbers, mint and lemon this week and haven't had to take any of my prescription meds in three days, so that's been nice.

Relaxing tea. Peppermint. Catnip. Chamomile, etc.

SOmtimes its a food that sets them off. For me it's a multitude of things. Bright sunlight (bummer), temperature changes, stress and working on the computer all have their days of pushing the button.

I am still working diligently to figure out my own headaches, but love hearing ideas from others on what works. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  05:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Also stay away from aged cheeses (that's a tough one here) and all those processed meats that have the sulfites and sulfates and of course MSG that is found in everything! Even chicken soup has it !

Best of luck to you I know it's miserable
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for migraines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page