MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  11:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I am in need! I have been trying to make laundry soap from a post I found on the forum but I cannot find Washing Soda anywhere! I am a "city" dweller and it seems that laundry soap making is a "country" thing! I've found the borax and the baking soda, but no washing soda! Not at Walmart, not at Vons/Safeway, Albertsons, Stater Bros., Target, Big Lots...where else can I check? I also searched on-line, but the price of shipping a 4lb box is crazy! I'm also having a hard time finding the Fels-Naptha soap - will Zote work? I found that at Walmart...any ideas would be welcome!!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  11:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Zote is wonderful. Fels-Naptha is not a really safe choice. Zote seems to keep clothes whiter. It has a nice lemon smell too.

You have to go to a hardware store to find washing soda. Call ahead of time to see if they have it. Try Ace or such. Lowe's or Home Depot don't carry it.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  11:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Look in the Pool Products section for PH Inceaser (soda ash) That is the same thing. Sodium carbonate.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile
You should be able to go to this link and enter "fabric care" under brand and then choose super washing soda at the bottom under "choose product". For whatever reason, it's not working at the moment because I put in my zip code and it didn't work and it has in the past and I know I can get it at several stores locally. Maybe it will work for you though.

http://www.armandhammer.com/Products/WhereToBuy.aspx

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! I'll google an Ace Hardware...the only places I know of around here are Lowes and Home Depot, but I will also check into the pool care section...sodium carbonate...I'll check it out. I tell you what, when I do find it I'm buyin' me a truck load!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  2:31:17 PM  Show Profile
MrsRooster - Amy, you are my savior!!!! I checked Ace on-line and they do say they carry it in their stores! And I even found an Ace store about 15 mins from my house! How about that? So after my hubby goes to work (he works graves so he leaves here around 4pm) I'm headed to Ace to see if I can find my washing soda! Yipee! And I also saw that other post about the Fels-Naptha soap - good thing I could only find the Zote in the store!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  6:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Kroger carries Arm and Hammer washing soda.

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I wish we had a Kroger around here! We are really kind of close to LA and it seems that not a lot of people here like to do much in the way of "make their own" anything! Ugh! But tomorrow I'm going to Ace!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Finally found washing soda at Winco last week. Bought fels... will need to go back and exchange for the Zote.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Went to Ace this afternoon and NO LUCK! The guy said they don't carry it because there is no demand for it! Said that they don't carry it on line either! But I think there's a WINCO nearby, I'll have to check there. Thanks for the tip Angie. I really don't want to have to order it on-line, but it looks like I might have to! Ugh!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Just found the closest Winco - 45 min drive and thought I'd call before I drove out there...NO washing Soda!!!! What is the deal? Just one more reason I need to move out to the COUNTRY! Finding it hard to live the "country life" this close to LA! Nobody carries the supplies I need! Ugh! Looks like I'm going to have to order it on-line! So frustrating...although I suppose I could order from Lehmans and add on and item or two that I've been eyeing... :-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  9:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Weird - I am in a suburb of Chicago and washing soda is in all the grocery stores! Wish you were closer so I could get some to you :(

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  9:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just buy the soda ash from a pool supply store. No need to pay shipping then :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  10:30:02 PM  Show Profile
And that will work the same? They don't put anything strange in it that will turn my clothes purple or something? I don't mean to doubt you Alee, I know you're a true blue and all, but that makes me a little nervous. But if you say it will work, I'll give it a try! Although that will mean no glass washboard from Lehmans....been pinning for one of those. ;-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  05:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just read the ingredients before you buy. You will want to look for one that is 100% soda ash (sodium carbonate). :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Washing Soda is usually at the WalMart in the washing soap or the cleaning section. It's in a paper box [Arm & Hammer]. Your basic grocery should have it in the same isles.
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Carla - I've been to all the grocers around here, all the hardware stores, all the bulk stores, and Walmart is where I got all the other supplies I needed (the Zote, Baking Soda and Borax none of which they carry at any of our grocers here). I just can't get the washing soda anywhere. I've even asked if they could order a case for me and all places have said no. The problem is "there is no demand for it" and the stores don't want to cater to just one person. That is something that I have found quite annoying down here in southern California. It is a big change going from small town California to southern California...people are SO unfriendly and they don't carry half of the stuff in the stores here that I'm used to buying...but they do have a lot of convenience items! And both my neighbors have gardeners! They think I'm nuts for gardening our little 60' x 10' front yard alone...but I think they're crazy for paying someone to do it! And I'm the only house without the big lawn! The first thing I did was rip it out and plant lavender and rosemary and juniper. Anyway, I've gotten off track...it's just annoying that I can't find most of these things in just an average store. Oh! Only one of the four craft/fabric stores carries embroidery floss! Okay, I'm really done now. I'm gonna go try to find the soda ash in the pool store like Alee suggested...there are LOTS of pools around here!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  6:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't even bother with the washing soda. I mix one part borax to two parts baking soda. This works out to be a 4lb box of borax and a 12 lb bag of baking soda. Mix it all up in a bucket and use it just like I would any powdered stuff. It gets my clothes clean and they smell wonderfully fresh too! This way I am not wasting money on the other stuff just to get bubbles.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a liitle bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise, maybe I'll try that in the mean time. If I don't need it for the soap to work, then I won't have to do the huge search for the washing soda to begin with! Now this may sound like a silly thing to say, but my husband is stinky! Will this homemade detergent really get all the stink out of these clothes? Do I need to add anything or use a larger amount than just the 2 T for really stinky clothes?

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Actually the washing soda changes to PH of the water, it doesn't add suds or anything and aids the soap in working better. It also is a degreaser and helps the soap not leave a residue. My washing machine is lucky if I see 3 bubbles.

I find it important as my husband is a guy that puts off odor and lots of body oil. I have tried it without the washing soda because even here in rural Montana the Washing Soda is hard to find, and I find it does not clean as well for our household. Of course the hardness of your water, the quality of your machines and how dirty your clothes are all go into whether or not the Washing Soda is needed.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on May 16 2010 12:35:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I found this store in Riverside, and here is their price on 'soda ash' which is 100% sodium carbonate: http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Adjusters/Soda-Ash-50-lbs/D/30100/P/1:100:1000:100030/I/14738

It is about 4 times the price of Arm & Hammer washing soda, but there's you a solution! :0)

Also, Zote has its own website, which I find to be very interesting! I am using this very same recipe you are using. Zote is actually scented with citronella. Now, I do not care much for citronella, but I can promise you that that scent does not remain in the clothes! I do hang mine on a laundry line, too. My husband does hydraulic/heavy equipment repair, and this stuff WORKS. I did add some lavender oil to it, but the citronella sucked it up I guess, lol.

Oh, and I am still experimenting...right now I only use about 1/4 cup per load! I do have a front loading washer, though, so I'd assume if you have a top loader, you may have to use more as there is so much more water.

:0D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Edited by - msdoolittle on May 16 2010 08:47:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile
http://local.yahoo.com/results;_ylt=AiMIMOEUcXEovKAT8yfKQnuHNcIF;_ylv=3?p=pool+supplies&csz=corona%2C+CA+92505

Pool stores in Riverside

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee for the info about why the washing soda is needed! With my stinky man, I will need this detergent to really work if DH is going to let me keep doing my "strange experiments" on him. :-)

And WOW Amanda! Thanks so much for the info on Riverside! I had to look to see where you were from because I thought I'd found another farmgirl in my county! You sure went above and beyond to help me out...thank you SO much! Big ol' farmgirl hugs for you!!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  12:26:57 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,
I know what you are saying about odor but because of the baking soda which neutralizes odor it is not a problem and my husband's work clothes come out smelling great. He is in the installations business so is outside in the grime and dust a lot. I do not find it necessary to spend the extra money on the washing soda. Also I do use about 1/4 cup per load. It lasts me a long time this way but I only have 3 people I am washing for plus towels and linens. It taxes the septic system a lot less too without the suds.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  12:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think just like with anything, you could ask 5 differnt people and get 5 different opinions. I am so glad your recipe works so well for you Denise. I know in our area with our water without the Washing Soda it doesn't get the job done. However I find it interesting that with your water the Washing Soda causes suds? In my area the washing soda doesn't cause suds and it didn't cause suds when I lived in Moscow Idaho either. Do you have hard or soft water?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  06:20:45 AM  Show Profile
We have a water conditioner on our whole house system that was installed before we purchased so that it would pass inspection.
I had talked to the septic guys about the stuff I use and he told me how the borax will help break down any greases in the septic. Also, my husband is a chemist and so he explains to me how all the ph and alkaline stuff works together and what will do the job for us in our area. I am always interested to find what works for others.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Washing soda!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page