Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunatly our water is extremely hard and a water softener is to far out of our budget :( I would love to have a water softener! My grandmother's water is soft and I love the way my skin feels when I stay over at her house. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:23:17 AM  Show Profile
oh we would never have gotten one if it hadn't already been in the house. They had to put it in for the inspection so that worked out well for us. It got rid of the iron and that was what was keeping it from passing. It's well water so I really didn't see the big deal but that is the township we live in.
It probably has a lot to do with the suds too.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a liitle bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, I finally found it! I found two boxes of washing soda in a tiny little store the next county over and don't you know I bought the only two boxes they had! So today I'm grating Zote and making my very first batch of detergent! Yipee! I've never been so excited to do laundry! Hope this feeling lasts! :-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  12:18:29 PM  Show Profile
And those two boxes will last you a LONG time! Yay! So glad you found some, Melissa!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile
You can get soda ash from dye suppliers - Dharma trading sells it on line.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  07:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all -
I just found this forum. Could someone give me the original recipe for the soap? I've looked back a ways but didn't find it.

Thanks!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile
This is the one I use.
Powder Laundry Soap

1 bar (4-6 oz) Castile soap, grated
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
1 cup Baking Soda
Essential oil (optional)

Combine all ingredients. Add several drops of essential oils. I like to use Teatree oil as it has fungal/anti-bacterial properties.

Place is covered jar. To use: 1/4 - 1/2 cup per load, depending on type of water and type of washer. This is a low suddsing detergent.

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carla!

I'm really new at this - so, is castile soap the same as the Zote they were talking about in this thread?

Thanks again!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  11:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Luanne. The recipe I'm using is larger than the one Carla uses. It is as follows...
1 4lb box Borax
1 4lb box baking soda
1 4lb box washing soda
1 bar Zote soap (grated really fine by hand or in an old food processor)

Mix all ingredients together and there you have it. You only need 2-3 Tablespoons per load. But remember to use cold water in the wash because the borax go through a chemical reaction when heated and can bleach colors. At least that's what MaryJane says...I haven't tried it myself! And to answer your other question, some ladies us Zote, some use Fels-Naptha and some use Castille soaps. For this recipe, you need either 1 15 oz bar or enough bars of whichever soap you are using to equal about 15 oz. That's 3 bars of Fels-naptha or 1 bar of Zote.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile
You don't even need to use Castille soap....I have seen folk use vegetable oil based soaps, and even animal oil based as well. My laundry soap is 100% lard and works great. you're just adding some sort of cleaner in there for the really tough stains.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  12:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
If you have a 99cent store, they have bar laundry soap that is veggie based.

Zote has a lemony smell from citronella. It is good for washing the floor to clean up oily food spills too.

You can find Castile at Cracker Barrel.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Finally made my laundry soap today and it smells wonderful! And looks pretty too, since I used Zote there are tiny little pink flecks in all that lovely white powder. I purchased an old colander at the thrift store and poured a little bit of each ingredient into it and kind of sifted them all together that way. It worked out great, everything was very evenly distributed and when I'm not using it to sift, I put all my clothespins into the grannyware colander! Now I just can't wait to try out the soap for the first time!!!! Yipee!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  05:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Melissa,

When you need more washing soda, you can order it at acehardware.com and choose the ship to store option to save the shipping costs. That is what I do. It is in the cleaning/laundry section on the website. If you search for Arm & Hammer it will come up. I actually live in a pretty rural area and no-one carries it. Glad your soap turned out! Let us know how you like it!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  06:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Hooray for you.

That is a great idea to use site to store. Wonderful advise!!

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that Candy! I didn't know I could do that at Ace! I'm off to do a load right now to try out my new soap...I've been trying to wait until I run out of my grocery store brand, but I just can't! I'm going to do just one load of the new homemade soap, then one load of the old soap and see if I can tell the difference! Won't that be a fun little experiment? Okay, maybe not fun to your average person, but I'm excited about it!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  12:09:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a hard time finding it also. The only places I can find it at so far is Kroger, and Food Lion
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  07:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am concerned about Borax. It is toxic.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  10:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy- While I agree that Borax can be toxic, everything I read is that for humans it has to be quite a large amount before you have to worry about it. It is also extremely bad tasting which discourages ingestion. Most articles state that a newborn would have to swallow a teaspoon of pure borax for it to be toxic. I think like everything- in large quantities it starts doing bad stuff but the microscopic amounts that *might* be left in the clothes when used as a detergent shouldn't be harmful.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I agree - I think regular store detergents are much more harmful to humans than borax. There are cosmetic formulations that use borax for on the skin application, which I do not recommend because it can be sensitizing and an irritant, but it is a far better choice than what most folk are using daily. SLS is MUCH worse and is in almost everything these days!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Thweattheart
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Julie
New York NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile
I use Borax in my white wash to whiten since I refuse to use bleach which is a class 8 corrosive and has been outlawed in other countries and has been linked to breast cancer and other diseases. I found this info on Borax to be very interesting http://www.greenfootsteps.com/borax-information.html. I hope that helps some ... I wish I had the time to make my own laundry soaps but I do use a non toxic laundry soap that is tree tea oil based and works wonderfully...

Julie~
If not me...then who?
If not now...then when?

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Thank you. I am so much more aware of what I am using now.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Heather Nicole
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Heather Nicole
Bolivar Missouri
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  12:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Alright ladies I am not a chemistry chick and I have no idea if this is true or not, but I found it interesting.....
http://www.ehow.com/how_5598724_make-washing-soda-baking-soda.html
Sorry I have no idea how to list a link yet, so just cut and paste into your browser :)

I am new at this stuff as well, as I am just preparing to make my first bit of homemade detergent, but I am super picky about fading colors! Does borax fade colors? I have seen conflicting remarks all over the internet! Thanks girls! Hugs!

I know full well that joy is in the small things....Farmgirl #1473
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you found it. I was going to say, it's the weirdest thing but, I usually find it in the mom and pop stores. The tiny ones! lol I live in NYC so I have the exact same problem you have. No one cares what one person wants, and aren't about to cater to me! My dad lives in a small town in Kansas, he goes to a privately owned IGA type grocery store, he pays a little more (very little) and lives only 15 minutes from the big city, but really likes that Fred the grocer owner will order him anything he wants! My dad likes a certain type of taco shell, and certain type of taco seasoning (I'm mexican) and Fred doesn't mind a bit to order it special for dad, among other things. Dad said this is a lot of stuff that the big city "Krogers" (in Kansas it's called Dillon's) used to carry, but now doesn't because 15 million people don't buy it only maybe a few hundred, so no longer stock it! UHG. Seems every thing is only catered to for the masses not the few any more. So dad gladly pays fred a few more cents, gets great customer service and what ever items he wants! We'll be moving in a basement apartment my dad is making for us to live in till we save up money for a home of our own (impossible in NYC to save money!) and I'll be shopping at Fred's grocery store too!

BTW, Krogers in LA is called Ralph's don't know if they will have it or not, but since some said that Krogers sells it, it's worth a shot!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  12:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know how the handmade soap affects septic systems?
We have a new one installed, and I'm trying to be so careful!
I would think that the homemade soap would be MUCH better for
the bacteria than store-bought...any thoughts?

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  11:18:40 AM  Show Profile
I use arm&hammer washing soda, they sell it everywhere here...even walmart! Big blue box. It's really cheap too...about 3 bucks.

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Washing soda!!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page