Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Diabetes and psyche Next Topic  

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you had experience or thoughts on diabetes 'changing someone's personality'?

I want to say that since dh has had diabetes he fights anger (no patience is probably a better description) a lot more than I remember pre-diabetes. I've associated the two and don't know if that's fair. Have you seen the same thing and have thoughts on whether it's the disease or side effects of meds or ???

(He is continually asked about depression in the doctor's office as that must be more prevalent with diabetes, but I don't think that's what I'm seeing.)

Thanks.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  11:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Depression is very common due to the restrictiveness in the disease. I had alot of anger and depression during the first year after I was diagnosed. It makes life so hard. Then I decided to research and see if there was anything I could do about it. I found several programs that advocate diet and excersize to get off the meds. I worked very hard, lost a lot of weight, ate healthier than I ever have and researched every day on food and the human body. I learned a lot that I didn't know about vitamins, minerals, and food content. There are ways to help and even stabalize diabetes if a person is properly motivated and willing enough. I have been off all meds for almost 4 years now and I feel so much better for it. I am still a little pudgy, but the weight loss is still continuing. I still have to check my bloodsugar daily, but only once a day now, or if I feel weird or ill. I fought with major roller coaster numbers while I was pregnant, but he wouldn't have to worry about that. ;) LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  09:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My hubby wasn't "himself" until he got his sugar in better control. Very short fuse and yes angry. It will pass. Make sure that he is doing what he should. But be prepared for sharpness.

He called it "being fuzzy".

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  2:38:34 PM  Show Profile
I had an uncle who almost killed his son before he was diagnosed with diabetes. I am diabetic and I have trouble with anxiety for which I am taking medicine. Blood sugars can definitely effect your moods and many other body systems. I only take metaformin for diabetes. I try to exercise and eat right but it is not always easy. I wish you well. My motivation is too stay off dialysis or loose any limbs.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile
i would have to say yes.. yes to katherines opinion. kisten my grand daughter is type 1 diabetic. luckily she was diagnosed and it saved her life. she has a smart strong mom. er said it was flu 2 times 2 days apart. 3d day mom saw when she drank juice it ran out of her. took her to pediatric clinic. diagnosed in 5 minutes. put in hospital. we were taught that she would have mood swings. she is tiny and a big job keeping her balanced. we are to all watch for anger tension fatigue funny eye unbalanced gate sleepiness. she can get very angry at her brother. they are best friends and brother sister. but she has her moments. i love her dearly. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:46:07 AM  Show Profile
There's alot of fear, anxiety, guilt, deprivation, and just plain anger attached to the diagnosis. I became fearful of food, thought of it as the enemy. The first year after diagnosis I was constantly hungry, and thus felt deprived. People (usually the skinny ones) look at you and just shake their heads, as if you are nothing but an over-indulgent pig. Some people become your personal blood sugar Nazi, raising an eyebrow at every mouthful. It can be a real emotional roller-coaster. And yes, depression is also part of the picture. When my doc put me on anti-depressives I finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.
Your hubby feels out of control. I hope he gets past it and finds that life can continue and be good after the diagnosis

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  08:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of your replies. Hopefully it will open my eyes and my arms a little more often.
I didn't say it previously but this is not a recent diagnosis - 7 yrs ago so there may be some penned up frustration with situation. I don't know how well he'll take a suggestion to talk about this w doc as we are the idiots ;) he's forced to live with. But your experiences have helped me understand enough to offer the support and understnding better than I have lately. Hope too. That's a gift! thx.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  08:48:48 AM  Show Profile
Definately!

Low blood sugar can wreak havoc in more ways then one.

My daughter although not diabetic----we have gestational diabetes and adult onset diabetes in BOTH sides of the family---
I know for a fact... when DD has not eaten during the day---Depression, Tears, Lethargy, Angst, anger and so very CRABBY!! I tell her to eat some fruit or drink some OJ double quick and it works every single time.

The trick is to maintain your blood sugar level and don't let it get out of hand.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
http://farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/

Edited by - melody on May 11 2010 08:50:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Diabetes and psyche Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: