sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile
What or how can you brake a rooster attacking you when you go into hen house collect eggs/or clean? Never done this before, just started doing this , this year.
Need help!
farmgirl sister Debra

Kind HEARTS are the gardens.
Kind THOUGHTS are the roots.
Kind words are flowers.
Kind DEEDS are the fruits.

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile
It can nearly be impossible to break. I have been lucky to not have too much trouble with my roosters. The ones that were aggressive, we ate. There are some great roosters out there, no need to put up with aggressive ones!
You can try a stick, or a spray bottle. But I would try fried chicken!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  7:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Angie, Thanks this is the first time ever having a rooster. Well I would tell "BIG RED" thats what I call my rooster. You keep it up we will have you for supper! He is such a handsome one too. Boy I never had a rooster attack me until this one did one day, when I was cleaning out hen boxes. He came right be hind me and I didn't know what hit me.. Thank goodness I had my jeans on. Even then he left a black and blue mark on me. I just don't what my grandboys get hurt. He attack one of my grandboys, didn't know about it till letter. Thankfully he didn't get hurt or bursed like his nanna. So when I go in had broom, but that didn't bother him at all, still tried comeing at me. But he doesn't do that to my husband. Why is that?
Have a good night.
farmgirl sister Debra

Kind words are the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  8:45:37 PM  Show Profile
You will think its mean, but we had one ornery booger of a rooster that would attack. It goes so my little brother would bop him on the head with a 2X4 whenever he had to go collect eggs and that stinker would chase him down. The sad cruddy part is that it DIDNT EVEN PHASE THE ROOSTER!!!
It really only bought my brother a minute or two extra.
He never did learn to be nice.
hugs
Jessie

On a side note, that rooster tasted terrible when we ate him. He was seriously tough bird! lol

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  11:14:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who clocked his rooster with a baseball bat hard enough to knock him down and stun him for about 10 mins! It changed the roosters mind about bein aggressive. Most people just fry them up, it's easier and a sure fire way to stop them. He probably doesn't go after your husband because he can tell he won't win. Most animals won't challenge something they aren't sure they can beat. He made you jump and holler the first time he challenged you when you weren't lookin. That's all it takes, a sign of weakness. Your grandchildren probably flinch at the chickens, that's another sign of weakness. I'd get rid of him and find another rooster as a chick and hand raise it. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. My aunt went through 3 roosters before she found her 'Gentle John". You'll find him with time.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  03:43:17 AM  Show Profile
For all the abuse, short of a few cases who were able to turn their roosters, it's better to just dispatch them. If it makes you feel better, fry him up, or just leave him fior the foxes. Roosters defend their hens and it's not worth the daily battles with us especially where young kids are involved.

I have my own stories about 1 in particular who caused a neighbor to carry a stick whenever she went jogging. She kept it in stratigic locations. And my own steel toed boots never phased him either. I left him out one night for the foxes and that was it. He was a beautiful black Australorp that I though was supposed to be a docile breed!!

The 2 roosters we have now stay away for whatever reasons.

There's a young one up and coming from this year's hatch that is slightly aggressive. SO I'll be watcing him closely.

And the banty roosters know that as soon as they start to threaten and run toward me, I just scoop them up and hold them there and talk baby talk. It's so demoralizing I';m sure. But whose gonna be afraid of a silkie and a mini cochin that are both just all fluff anway??
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
When I lived on the farm I used a spray bottle of cold water. When the rooster started coming near me I would spray him. It worked for me.... Good Luck!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to mention that I would always hiss like a cat too right before I would spray him.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  07:12:32 AM  Show Profile
well hes doing his job. if he is being mean to you its him protecting the girls. i have one where i work. he has attacked me and papa. the thing is roosters jump up. they use their wings to get higher up to get ya. kids are at risk of having their face injured. i have roosters. they are not roaming around. few roosters stay nice all the time. they see their job and get to it. protecting his girls. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  07:32:55 AM  Show Profile
My friend had a rooster that would attack. . .she devised a cute little devise that protected her and allowed the rooster to continue to protect his flock.

She took a leaf rake, you know the bamboo kind that fan out, then attached a trash can lid just above the rake part on the handle. When ever she headed into the coop she kept this "contraption" between her and the rooster. . . he never bothered her as long as she had it.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you farmgirls..I will try about anything at this point.I will try spray bottle, make a sheld..try to keep him..he is such a handsome rooster..but his attitude needs to go..When they attack
IT HURTS!
farmgirl sister Debra

Kind words are the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  03:49:16 AM  Show Profile
I do have to say though. While housing an aggresive rooster, it sure did break my dog from harassing and chasing that's for sure!

It's all fun and games 'till the thing you chase turns and surprises the poop out of whatevr is chasing it!

These days I just don't agree with beating and kicking something that is doing its job. And true, I'm just as guilty for launching that aggressive rooster across the yard while I was wearing steel toed boots. Amazing how they are unpahsed by it all

And I don't know if it's temperament or hand raising vs non or what!
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  03:47:37 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if it is hand raising? I really have no problem roosters. I had a few, they were not hand raised and they showed agresion, we had too many rooster too, so we ate them. But all my handraised ones are great! They never go after us. I have 6! Two in pens with two different flocks they care for. And the other four are free rangers! They are all beautiful.
I heard a spray bottle is the best weapon, not mean to them and it works!
Good luck and let us know how he does.
I do agree he only goes after you because of the responce he got! Your husband probably scares him!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Rooster attack HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page