Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2004 :  12:36:33 PM  Show Profile
My goal today is to get two of my 4 sheep sheared. I am thinking of selling two of them before winter, and better get those two sheared first. I know it will be so hard to not stop and spend the next few days working with the wool, but so much needs to be done around here..including finishing canning all that salsa I made this morning..but first the sheep. Anyone else shearing right now? I will be shearing my little jet black ewe lamb Trixie..first fleece..I can hardly wait! and My 3 year old ewe Gladys (1/2 Icelandic 1/2 merino..wonderful fleece) her wool is a pretty silvered grey color and very soft. It is a pretty sunny day about 78 degrees..perfect shearing weather!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  2:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, do you shear them yourself, or have someone else do it? How did you learn to do it? I love sheep, would love to have some one of these days...

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  10:27:33 PM  Show Profile
I shear them myself with hand shears (not electric) I taught myself, since I didn't have anyone around to teach me. I learn most stuff the hard way..haha.
I did get two of the sheep done yesterday..but one of the ones I planned to shear didn't want to get caught so I did her daughter instead. Either way...two down, two to go. Sheep are fun to have. They are "easier" than goats in some ways but I love having both. And I love having the two new fleeces to work with now. One is black and one is mostly white with some black patches...nice and soft.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  10:55:48 PM  Show Profile
here is a link to pictures..including one of me shearing "Tawanda".
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mantijenny/album?.tok=phqzkVBBAyiO41Bu&.dir=/3bc4&.src=ph

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Jenny your yahoo link doesn't want to cooperate today. Can you double check it please? (I've had to update all of mine lately too... go figure) Can't wait to see Tawanda.. love her name!
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Dang...I just checked it and it worked for me. I wonder if it works now? You gals let me know. I am so bad at this!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, did you do the whole email yourself an invite at a diff email address routine?... this address looks like when you access it as yourself signed into yahoo....
There's always the Yahoo tutortial in the tech section you can look at!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile
okay....I will look at that..I did do it as myself signed into Yahoo..duh!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mantijenny/album?.dir=/3bc4&.src=ph&.tok=phQhuzBBtrdjXVTd boy that one is longer..I hope it works. Notice it always takes me a hundred tries to do anything technical. I guess I should stick to what I am best at..and computer stuff isn't it. Let me know if this worked!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  10:21:05 AM  Show Profile
It Worked! Goodness, Jenny, that looks like a labor intensive job of hand shearing! Thanks for sharing your pics! Looks like you'll have lots of wool to work with now!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile
my oldest son built me the little cute barn in the picture this past spring and I am so proud of it. I milk inside it and store all the feed and stuff. The old barn behind me in the picture of me shearing(actually we call it the grainery) is where I store my hay and stuff. It is really really old and ricketly..but I love it too. Tawanda had a big fleece for her size! I can hardly wait to get to spinning it!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile
This is woonderful. I loved the album too! So my question, how do you post an album on this site for people on the forum to see. I do not have a yahoo account but I do have an HP album account and share my digitals with family and friends. To send to friends I click on Share with family and friends then enter their e-mail addresses but wonder how to send something here. What address do I use?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, You basically have to send yourself an email invite to some address other than your registered hp address. When this is received you should have a link to click on that "invites" you to look. It's the address line that this accesses that needs to be copied and pasted into your message here. (Because you are then there as a visitor, which would be as we would be.) Good Luck!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny I love the pictures! Your sheep and other critters are beautiful! The little barn is so neat! Do you use the wool for spinning?

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  2:52:00 PM  Show Profile
yes I do use it for spinning. It is really fun to have my own fiber source!!
Clare..I am so glad that YOU explained how to post the album thing..I obviously just stumble around until I accidentally get it right. It would be fun to see pictures from you too if you can work it out Eileen. I think I sent the email to share it to myself and then cut and pasted the address from the bottom of that. I am SURE there is an easier way..but that is my life..

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  5:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Jenny,
Loved the pictures. What a beautiful area! How great that you have your own source for fiber. I bought a box of yarns at a yard sale that had some homespun wool in it. There was only enough to knit a cap for my husband, but that was ok since I'm just a begining knitter. I was amazed at how great my hands felt while working with that yarn! Thanks for sharing with all of us:)
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2004 :  6:00:14 PM  Show Profile
What great pictures Jenny! I love being able to see everyone and what all they do etc!!!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2004 :  6:52:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm not into all the technical stuff (yet!), but the photos are great! Just a wonderful life, I think.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2004 :  09:39:39 AM  Show Profile
My husband bought me a spinning wheel about 8 years ago for christmas and I took one class. We then packed everything up and moved it to South Dakota where we were planning to open a bed and breakfast. Due to circumstances beyond our controll Our move never happened and our stuff stayed in SD for 3 years until we could go back for it. I now have my spinning wheel and the original little bit of wool that I spun on that first day still on the spindle. Last week I found a lovely 24inch loom for sale at a garage sale for $25 and brought it home because my husband said he had learned to weave on a loom exactly like it that his grandma had when he was a boy. So now I am all excited about starting from scratch to spin and weave. Just met some wonderful ladies at our fair this past week who are in the local spinning group and unbelievably they all include their husbands in the evening meetings as many of the men spin and weave as well. Can you believe that? Lots of sheep farmers here and I also knoe at least 2 who raise goats. Can't wait to get started.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  01:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny...my husband and I were just asking each other a few days ago, How many times a year do
you shear sheep???? Neither one of us really knew but I guessed twice a year. Was I close?

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  5:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Jenny - I love shearing my own animals and there is nothing like using their fiber that you have taken a year to grow. Thanks for sharing you pictures and I loved the explaination too - I was unable to do it for my own pictures so I will re read the instructions and give it a whorl....

Now go have a cup of something good and get busy on the wheel - show and share the finished item when you can.

From one shearer to another - Way To Go!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic shearing sheep today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page