lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone here have children, young or adult that suffer from bi-polar disorder?

I have a daughter now 23 years old, whom because of this disorder has made some terrible mistakes in her life. At times I see her getting on track but then weeks go by when I really dislike having conversations with her.

It is a terrible ache in the heart.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Living with bi-polar is very difficult and an up and down proposition. My partner of nearly 21 years has it and he struggles with it all the time. His grandson, now 13 has it as does one of his daughters. Is she on medication to help?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  07:33:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this Marlyn. My mother has a lot of mental problems and it has been very difficult for me to watch and put up with. You are both in my prayers.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  8:29:11 PM  Show Profile
My older sister is bi-polar. I have tried to be supportive but it is difficult sometimes. Some of our family have not been so as much. I, also, have a daughter that I think may be. She has had counseling off and on but was never diagnosed. We were going to have her tested but the insurance wouldn't pay for it. We were willing to pay out of pocket but couldn't get them do it. She is better but still has trouble dealing with stress sometimes. She has decided to talk to our doctor again. My sister told me once it may take trying several doctors and counselor to find a program that works. The bi-polar person has to realize they need help.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  6:02:43 PM  Show Profile
my mom is bi-polar- it is a very hard thing to deal with both for the family and for the person that has it. i can't even imagine watching one of my children deal with this-hope you can get some help

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  2:16:36 PM  Show Profile
My daughter saw our doctor yesterday. I like the way the doctor seemed to handle it. He is doing some lab work to make sure she isn't diabetic. He told her she might be depressed. He told her to try to eat better especially not so much junk and sweets. She is supposed to drink more water He told her to get some exercise and try to find an exercise partner or a group. He wants her to socialize more. She is supposed to go back in a month. I am glad he did not rush into anti-depression medicines.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:38:03 PM  Show Profile
My 22 year old son is bi-polar. We have been going through some really rough things with him in the last several months. He has made some really bad choices and was trying to self medicate with drugs and alchol. Thankfully he has since went to detox,gotten the meds he needed and now goes to AA and NA meeting. I still have to give him only the meds he needs and have to be careful of what is in the house. He was drinking extract,mouthwash, whatever had alchol in it. All you can do is be supportive but not condone the behavior. He didn't turn things around until his dad used tough love and threw him out of the house. It wasn't but a couple days and he asked to go to rehab.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile
My daughter has been into the drug seen in the past as well. She now is a single mom of two children which I have to say is smartening her up but just the same there are days when she takes all her anger out on me. No matter how many times I help her out, bail her out, give her what is needed to get by, I am always the bad one. WE just went through a week of her not talking to me. Because she didn't get her way. She thinks she is hurting me, but I am finding the silence golden. I knwo where she is if I need to see her.

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:17:53 AM  Show Profile
You are a very good person and loving mother. Some day your daughter will realize that and how lucky she is to have you as her mom.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Bi-polar Child Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page