Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Another sign of age - BOY WAS I WRONG
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Another sign of age - BOY WAS I WRONG Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok, about a month ago my monthly went wacky. I've been in perimenopause for a while, but this time my skin decided to rebel. It feels like every ounce of moisture in my body has vanished. Do you know how you feel after a sunburn, that when you move your skin is crinkly and tight. Yup. that's me and nothing is alleviating it. I've been taking an Primrose oil blend for a few weeks now. Trying a variety of moisturizers and lotions, some home made, some not. So is this another sign of menopause? I think I developed an allergy to soy so have stopped that and now I don't have the rash breakouts, just very, very dry skin. **sigh**

Best Growing

Edited by - Montrose Girl on May 25 2010 06:33:17 AM

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Laurie I found the best thing is not to bath everyday. I like to have baths because I get sick of smelling like dairy cattle all the time, but allowing my skin to natural oil seems to help me.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  04:01:06 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, are you sure it's just dry skin?
I just went through this with my hands....actually my hands have been getting increasingly worse over the winter despite switching totally to natural soaps I make my self, and organic lotions. The rest of my body has been better, but not great.
Well my mom and dad have been here for the past 10 days, and my dad(retired physician) took one look at my sunburned looking hands, and made me throw out all the rubber gloves in my house. He says it is a latex allergy. As soon as I stopped using them, in about a week my skin cleared up. The other day I washed dishes with what I though were latex free gloves, and broke out all over again.
Do you wear rubber gloves at all? Even the disposable ones will do it.
And- try some natural home made soap too on your skin, that works wonders! I make sure too that my lotions don't have lauryl or laureth sulfates in them.
And, Marilyn is definitely right too, our skin dries out as we age.
Let us know how you're doing!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Since that post I went to a nutritionist. I have an appointment tomorrow for blood work and testing food sensitivities. He thinks that is my trouble. Since I met him last week for an initial consult I cut out soy and gluten, as best I could. Though I am still a bit dry, I do live in the high desert, the worst of it seems to be passing. Right now it is very windy and dusty so if I am outside long, I'll dry out, but my face has seen some improvement. I'll know more next week when the results come back, but feel I am on the right track. I've done the homemade soap and shower not so regularly, but none of that worked. Guess I know why. Thanks

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just got the results back from my food sensitivity test. Let's just say I was a bit teary in the Nutritionists office. Think he was worried, but dang. It was overwhelming. I had in my head three things, gluten, dairy and soy. Luckily I was wrong on one account, the soy, but have mild reactions to the others. Mild, no biggy right? Wrong. It seems all the milds have added up to cause my serious breakouts so I have this really long list of things I am supposed to work on getting out of my diet, all dairy, chicken, eggs, pear, corn, garlic, etc (50+ items). Only a few moderate to severe intolerants - oregano, lamb (of which we just bought a whole one last fall), hazelnut and honeydew so that is not as bad.

So now that the initial shock is subsiding I'm trying to look at the what I can eat. Apples, peaches plums all good since the boyfriend has an orchard. :) Goat's milk, lots of veggies, rice, millet, buckwheat, most nuts and tea! whew. Since I don't drink coffee that was not a big deal. Better yet, cocoa was on the safe list. Wohoo!! hot chocolate with soy milk is workable.

So for those of you with eczema you might consider talking to a dermatologist or nutritionist. We are hoping that after some time off the intolerant ones with a few supplements my body will adjust and skin clear up and we can start adding some of them back. Fingers crossed.

I will definitely being making menus know. I'm glad it is summer so I can do lots of salads.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  08:57:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you found out what was wrong Laurie. When I look at your list of dont's I have to say that I was discouraged for you UNTIL I looked at foods allowed. Wow! Some great things you can have and that is awesome that your boyfriend has an orchard :) Perfect! And cocoa? WooHoo!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 25 2010 09:02:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  11:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon. I need that encouragement right now. I figured of the what I can eat and that includes what I will eat (I'm not into much seafood) I have about 1/3 of the 200 food list left. Bought almonds today and more strawberries. Organic ones on sale right now! Still working on cutting out the shouldn't have's, but also cleaning up leftovers so not rid of everything quite yet, hopefully by this weekend.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  2:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laurie- I sympathize. I grew up allergic to over 30 food catagories including all dairy, wheat, barly, preservatives, all melons, all berries, all citrus. It can be hard but you would be amazed what is out there! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  11:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, Can you have coconut? If so, I would suggest either making coconut kefir, coconut kefir water or just drinking and eating raw coconut. Use coconut oil for cooking, on toast,on your body, anywhere you would use an oil. I has some really bad itching going on all over my body and went to a couple of different doctors and such with no help and lots of $$$$. Went to a fermentation class and started using coconut and WHAM!!! After about 3 days I was itch free. I also have found the drink Kombucha has helped with my dry skin issues too. I smell like the tropics but that is way better then itching. Research coconut. I had no idea of how good it can before a person.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  06:24:35 AM  Show Profile
I can but mom is deathly allergic so I try to keep it out of the house, not that I like the taste of it anyways. We walk by someone with it their perfume and she starts to swell. thanks for the idea though.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Another sign of age - BOY WAS I WRONG Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page