tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:10:41 PM  Show Profile
I wish you ladies were closer! I found a mulberry tree - FULL of fruit. Well, it was before the kids and I got to it!

I can't wait to go back and get more!
Any good farmgirl recipes?

Thanks bunches. I'll be thinking of you while I'm enjoying the "fruits" of my labor . . .

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile
yum, purple or white?

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh man....I've got one in my back yard. It's not even budded yet, but I'm not really looking forward to it. It's probably a good 40-50 ft tall and last year it rained millions of mulberries all over the back portion of our yard and the boys would go out there and come in with black feet and faces and hands LOL! What a mess they are! And they're not easy to pick and use because the stems don't come loose from the berry.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't think I have ever eatten Mulberry. What does it taste like?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  7:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Tiff- Tiff,
Email me next time! I LOVE mulberries!
~ MAry LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  7:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Teresa-
They are the purple variety. Maybe the Texas version. I can't tell the difference when I'm stuffing my face~ hehehe
I had a mulberry bush when I lived in Colorado, but it's nothing like this! I'd say the tree is over 50ft tall. It hangs over the lake so it's pretty tricky to get to the branches, but I'm not complaining!
I remember picking wild blackberries as a kid. My brother and I were stained from head to toe and covered in stickers! It was so much fun "forgetting" to bring some back to our mom. . .

Alee, I'd say mulberries are a little sweeter than blackberries and the seeds are softer, so you aren't picking seeds out of your teeth all day. Give me a sec, I'll go try some more. (need to be accurate) *giggle*

Mary - I'm going to go out again on Friday morning. You are welcome anytime. It looks like they may be ripening (?) for another week or more.

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:32:57 PM  Show Profile
in my old rodale garden book. he teaches they are excellent livestock feed also. i wish i was there. i bet it makes good jelly. i am in and put like that when the boysenberries ripen yum sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  06:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Alee...Mulberries taste like pure sugar. I don't think it has a berry taste hardly at all. I did make a crumble with it last year and when lemon is added and it's baked a little more flavor comes out.

I wonder if chickens would like them? I've been wondering where I'd put a chicken coop in my yard. Maybe I could just put one right under the mulberry tree and they can eat them as they fall on the ground LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  07:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Mt DD lived in an apt. complex and her apt. was right under a huge mulberry tree. She had to park under it. Her car would be purple and birds would poop purple all over it too. It was a mess. But I always wanted to make jelly.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  07:46:11 AM  Show Profile
My MIL made jelly from our mulberries and the boys really liked it. And oh yeah, Kris, we get the purple bird poo all over the place too when the mulberries are out! Ick!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Guess what I found? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page