Page: of 3

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  1:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
You farmgirls have all been planting like crazy. Just like me, I am sure. So I was wondering where everyone is in their work. Are all your veggies in? Anything up and going, besides your starts. Anyone harvesting anything yet? Who is trying something new?

In the flowerbeds...In increased my daylilies, and purple coneflowers. Directly sowed many annuals like cosmos, zinnia, morning glories, and that one, for the life of me I can't remember the name of (LOL, it will come to me latter). I planted putunias (sp?) in the window boxes, and planted a flat of misc. annuals.

In the veggie garden.....I have got in the lettuce, salad onions, radishes, beans, sunflowers, dill, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, brocoli, green & red peppers, jalepanos, red & white potatoes, and red & white onions. My beets will be next, and then all my vining plants will come after that. We also got in our sweet corn, altogether about 1/4 of corn. I expect it will be another week before I will have most of everything else in. Except repeat sowings, and pumpkins.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you are way ahead of me. I planted some Dahlias, and Canna Lillies last night. Still have to put in my tomatoes, and I want to do Cucumbers. I'm planting only Roma tomatoes, due to lack of space, and they make good tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and salsa. I made both for the first time last year, and now I'm hooked. Also planting Bell and Jalapeno Peppers, Cilantro, and leaf Lettuce in containers. Too many rabbits like the lettuce if I plant it in the ground, and I never get any. The rabbits also like baby tomato plants, but I fashioned some screen guards to go in side the tomato cages until the plants get bigger. They worked great last year. Didn't lose any plants to rabbits. Planted marigolds and petunias in containers two days ago. I also planted impatiens in a strawberry jar. Well, looks like I've got more to do, so better get at it.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
We haven't put anything in the garden yet. We had a frost two days ago so I was really glad that we hadn't planted yet. We'll be putting things in next week -- bush beans, pole beans, cucumbers, green onions, walla walla onions, green peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, pumpkins, hubbard squash (seeds from Aunt Jenny, and lots of herbs and flowers.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  6:15:39 PM  Show Profile
I planted my Dragon carrots, a row of Irish Kale, a row of variety of leaf lettuce, a row of parsley, a row of arugula. Haven't done the beans yet. Tomorrow I will plant my sweet peas, Hope it is not to late. They like it cool when they germinate.I planted a couple of last years jerusalem artichokes along the fence line and will mound them as they grow to get more this year. And I am trying a tater tower. I had one of those black compost bins that I never use cause I like my pallet ones better so I am trying the suggestion someone made on another thread.Hope it works, The tatoes are growing and I have added more clippings twice so far. All my bushes and flowering plants are ready to explode with flowers. My cherries are blooming as are my pears and apples. Nothing on my apricots yet. The chickens are moulting so only laying every other day now but at least they are taking turns so I have a few every day. I can't believe how fast the grass is growing and the bumper crop of dandelions this year, not jus prolific but HUGE! Think I will harvest the greens to eat. I don't use any poisons here so they are fine to eat they just are amazing in their size. Must be the chicken droppings from last fall making them grow so big.

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

10 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile
I get so impatient this time of year! Our last frost date is May 16, so I've got all my "babies" downstairs under the grow lights. I grow mostly heirloom veges, herbs, and flowers. I'm envisioning a huge pumpkin patch this year. I got some new varieties of squash this year like Queensland Blue, Long Island Cheese and Cornfield pumpkin.I also grow many varieties of tomatoes, beans, beets, zucchini, and all the basic annual herbs.

I just moved (ha - college students from church moved) all my herbs and roses to my front garden, and put new topsoil in all the vege beds and front garden. I'm going to redo my herb garden which is right out my back door. I want some little brick paths and I want to put a little sign that says "Apothecary and Kitchen garden" ha. I always have big dreams in the spring. :)

I was able to sprout lupines, delphiniums, purple coneflower, and many other perennials this year. I hope they make it. I find it easy to grow veges from seed to transplants, but perennials are tricky - they grow so slowly, and it has to be the right temp, etc.

I don't see my peas or lettuce coming up yet outside. It just started to rain and get really cold again yesterday.

Happy gardening!

"...Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  8:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Our garden is going crazy! The organic amendments are really working and I side dressed with composted chicken manure, rock phosourous, cotton seed meal, a litte dry molassess and then foliar sprayed with bioform last weekend. I am alternating foliar feed and organic pest preventative spray (orange, nutmeg oil, etc.) ever other week and then side dressing with my amendments once a month. Corn, beans, canteloupe, watermelon, carrots, radishes, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkin, 4 varieties of squash - all are doing great and we have been blessed with quite a bit of rain which is rare for us. It is so beautiful - I love to just spend time there. The first planting of radishes are ready to be harvested this weekend as well as some mixed lettuces (probably the last of the lettuce for us until fall-its simply too hot here.)

Wishing you all bounties of veggies!
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  04:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Eileen, I too have a bumber crop of dandelions. And just yesterday, was thinking of harvesting some greens.

Joanne, I am famous for big spring dreams myself. They always end up bitting me in the behind well into July.

And Dawnn, I just knew someone out there was getting ready to harvest. My radishes will be ready by the first of June. I can't wait.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  05:35:23 AM  Show Profile
I have to wait until we finish painting the outside of the house before I can plant. That may sound strange but last year I totally cleared out all the flower beds around the house. I didn't like anything that was growing in them and I knew we would be painting the eaves on the house plus I need to pressure clean the brick to remove old ivy residue. But two weeks ago I went to a native plant sale and got some plants, Butterfly weed, Rosemary and some sages. I was also given some tomato plants by a co-worker and I'm afraid everything is going to die before I can get them planted. Hopefully, we can finish up the house on Saturday and I'll be able to plant on Sunday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  07:05:32 AM  Show Profile
I have all of my tomatoes in, onions, garlic and potatos are starting to sprout. Lettuce is in. Rhurbarb is going crazy, just about ready to pull some stocks. Strawberries and blueberries are blooming and starting to form berries. Raspberries & Marions are pruned trained and are just about ready to bloom. Finally sugar snap pole peas are coming up, still waiting to see if pole beans and carrot will sprout.

Planted impatients, sweet potato vine, geraniums and other annuals in hanging pots, and various containers on my porch.

My purple clematis is blooming and soon the deep red and double white will bloom.

Along with all plants coming up so are the WEEDS!!! So weeding will commence over the next several weeks.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  10:05:25 AM  Show Profile
We can't plant til after Mother's Day usually. I learned that the hard way my first year here. All my tulips and daffodials are finally up, but someone (kids) keeps breaking my tulips and leaves them laying on the ground! It really upsets me. We're really nice to all the kids in our neighborhood. I don't understand why someone keeps doing this. They destroyed about 12 on Sunday and this morning when I got back from the gym, there were more destroyed. Aaaargh!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm having to lay off too much gardening this season (pregnant, having done bedrest in the past), but I am slowly getting some gardening done. I have two rows of bush beans coming up currently, four tomato plants in/four more to put in, some arugula that's actually coming up, some beets, carrots that aren't doing a thing (was testing old seeds), and I still want to put in some hills of yellow squash and zucchini. In my herb garden, I've done nothing really. All the perennials seem to be thriving currently. And I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for my hollyhocks to flower this year! I did put some zinnia seeds in an empty spot in my herb garden.

Out front, in my little shade garden, the foxgloves are about to burst open, and I've already gotten to enjoy some dainties like white bleeding heart. My snowball bush blooms have already come and is on its way out. I need to finish getting some edging in around my front beds.

Ohhh, I miss being able to spend so much time getting my hands dirty.

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
With working full-time and having no garden already here, I've not done a thing until today... (except mowing and other yardwork like that)

I bought 2 tomato plants ("sweet 100's" and "homestead") and a bell pepper plant. I will plant them tomorrow in large pots. I got some dirt for some metal rectangular planters, and I'm going to plant some herbs in them all and have them sitting around my patio for easy access to the kitchen and grill. I'm not sure what else I might plant, I decided to start low maintenance and "easy" this year. (I feel like I'm wimping out, but I'm beat by the time I get home from work, so it's a start at least.) Eventually I'd like to have more, but it's a new habit to get into...

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Edited by - sonflowergurl on May 06 2006 6:29:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  7:13:48 PM  Show Profile
I have tons of starts under lights in the basement but no planting yet.I have to wait until the end of May or we might lose to frost.But the aspargus we put in last year is coming up and the strawberry patch is coming up nicely.The perrenials are starting to grow so it will be soon.I am expanding the garden this year so we have to order more loam.Our soil here is so rocky it is better to put in raised beds.I can't wait gardening is so relaxing to me.Plus I long for home grown tomatoes.They are so much better than store bought.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  11:15:23 AM  Show Profile
Ours is looking the best it has in years! We had a gentle rain all day yesterday....just what the garden needs!

Onions are big enough to eat, we finished planting 39 tomatos...some will be yellow, some the pretty purple, and my favorites, pink girls!

Potatoes look fine, corn is up maybe 3 feet. We'll try a red sweet variety too.

Father-in-law dropped off a rather large envelope of okra seeds. He wants a lot. Suits me fine as long as he comes by and picks it every other day!

We'll also have grapes for the first time. Should be good if the birds don't get to 'em first!

Still waiting for the ground to warm for pepper seedlings.

Zucchini shot up 3 weeks ago when we had a terrific warm spell

And of course, we'll devote an entire field to watermelon!!

Hubby wanted to try beets for the first time. I may attempt to pickle a few, although last year I tried them grilled....not too bad really!

Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I haven't had a chance to get in and finish my planting, luckily there is still lots of time. However, I am excited to say that my lettuce, radishes, and sweet corn are all up. We do need some rain soon, maybe today (crossing fingers). Watering most of the sweet corn is impossible and just plain difficult for the rest of the garden. I have to stretch three house out to reach the garden, then once watering is done they have to be rolled and stored. Not only do they run across the drive but also the dog just loves to chew.

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm not really able to put any bedding plants out til May Long Weekend (the week before Memorial Day) but I planted onions the other day and I'll be ready to cut back some rhubarb soon. My tomato starts (the ones that didn't die) or about 2 inches high and have started their 3rd set of leaves.
My oriental lilies are all about 5 inches tall, and lilacs will start flowering in the next week or two. Some wildflower seed I planted last year is really starting to take off and my Siberian Irises are about 8 inches tall, but won't flower until at least next month. Oooh, and my hostas are poking thru too!
One month from now, everything will start to look nice. I envy all you girls south of the 49th, you're so much further ahead of me!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  7:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Ive got a little over half of my garden in. There are three kinds of onions, radishes, carrots, spinach, head lettuce, spaghetti squash, potatoes and strawberries. Next up will be tomatoes, peppers, some more squash, maybe cucumber. Im just goning to go into the greenhouse and go crazy! Id like to try new things. As for flowers, the lilac bushes here are just beautiful! I really love when they have good years. The lily of the valley are just starting to bloom (theyre my FAV!) The rose bushes have small buds on them, they are usually out by memorial day. The Iris will also be out then, and maybe some tiger lilys. I love spring!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile
I finally just got my garden in. I am so excited. Here most people start in March in their greenhouse and May outside. Well I am running late because I just got my greenhouse planted, but oh how good it feels. I planted 6 tomatoes, (I will be planting 2 more today), 2 bell peppers, 2 eggplant, 5 basil. I plant on planting lots more basil in the greenhouse with a few other herbs. I also like planting my lettuce in 20 gal containers in the greenhouse, it’s easier on my back.

Outside the greenhouse I plan on planting my carrots (hopefully today). I plant them in half barrels and place fencing around them to keep the critters out.

Next I am going to experiment with planting melons, squash & cucumbers in my orchard in 15-20 gal buckets. I am hoping it works, because I can't fit them in the greenhouse and the orchard is the only area fenced in from the deer and chickens.

Oh how I love planting time, the earth smells and feels so good. I can't wait to watch everything grow and how I love the smell of the tomato plants.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  11:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Well all this gardening talk got me a little plant crazy. Not good considering I own a nursery. I have done so well up until now, when the nursery is busy I want to plant at home but just don't have the time. Well I made time and ran home to plant 2 more tomatoes and some basil. I also laid out a few marigold, heliotrope and stock. I will either plant them tonight or in the morning before I leave for work. Oh how I love planting time!

Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Newbie Georgette here. I am at work all day, so my new first mate has tilled up our garden and together we have planted seeds of tomatoes, beets, sugar snap peas, carrots, hmmm, lets see, I've forgoten what else. We have a bed of 50 strawberry plants. A bed of about 50 garlic that are coming right along........and many, many, many flowers. My favorite thing. Can anyone here give me any information on an herb called Stevia? I just bought a plant and the leaves are so sweet!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Stevia is great. What questions do you have? I remember seeing a post on stevia not to long ago, you can try doing a search for the topic.

I love using the crushed leaves in tea. I also just like picking them and chewing on them. So wonderfully sweet.

Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Garden-artist! So you've used it before? I have about 30 books on herbs, have really been into the herbal/natural healing thing for about 10 years and I've never heard of stevia. I did google it and found out alot about it, but wanted a real person to give me any first hand knowledge about it.

I know what you mean about planting or going crazy........so I'm going crazy sitting in an office all day long. My dream is to be able to get a part time job and spend the rest of my day with my new partner digging in the garden.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  5:37:59 PM  Show Profile
weedy .. weedy ... weedy ... right now! honey hunk is going to 'till' for me tomorrow (too rainy today) .. so i can plant my 'maters, squash and zucchinni' .. so far .. those are the only veggies i plan to plant (great farmer's markets nearby) .. might add something else from time to time as i roam up and down the aisles looking at all the little seedlings. have flower gardens yet to do too ... but i do have gardens dancing in my head! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  6:24:48 PM  Show Profile
We had salad greens and asparagus from our "garden" tonight. The asparagus was a pleasant surprise. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought the spot I picked for my garden is a good one because after we got it scraped off asparagus just popped up over night. It's so much better than any I've ever had from the store. I love feeding my family from the garden. Now to get the rest planted. I think I'm completely behind on a few things. I guess I'll just plant and see what happens!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  7:00:39 PM  Show Profile
oh . i luvs sparagus! think i'll plant some! doesn't it just 'bloom' every other year though? and doesn't it take a few years to 'take hold'?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  06:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
DH has been wanting me to grow som 'sparagus. I was thinking that it would take a few years for it to 'take hold too. I don't know anything about it, so I am looking for info on it, as well as garlic. We discovered a patch of garlic growing wild last year, in one of our new flowerbeds. I was excited to find that it has spread this spring. I just love the way it grows. It adds some fun to the flowerbed. I am sure someone here can tell me what to do with it. When should I harvest it, if I can? Can you use the garlic from the grocery section? Will they grow and are they suitable for eating?

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic How Are Everyones Gardens? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page