schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:00:15 PM  Show Profile
I found a few of these at a garage sale - the kind that you buy bulk pickles in (or other food products)
I already have one I use to make sun tea in.
I am considering using another to make some home made fermented sauerkraut in...

Just curious what other ideas are out there.

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile
You can fill them with waterglass and store eggs in them. I also have one for change in the bedroom.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile
use for storeing:
flour
sugar
tea bags
rice
br sugar
oats
grains
dry beans
cereal
dry noodles/pastas
etc
etc
etc...

in my world, gallon glass jars are worth there weight in gold, and they are mouse proof,lol

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile
I have lots of them I use for fresh raw goat's and cow's milk. They are perfect for that. Also I store dried herbs and veggies and fruits in them. Grians too. I also have the half gallon jars.

I am always looking for more. I guess I need to go yard saling soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Any ideas on getting the pickle smell out? I put some homemade chex mix in one and it all tasted like pickles. I cleaned it out several times with soap and water . . .

Tiff

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  2:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany, its the rubber coating on the inside of the lid that holds the smell of pickles. Take a damp piece of newspaper, but some fishtank filter charcoal in the jar and put lid back on, it will take several times to draw the smell out over a couple of weeks, but it will work. To test and see if it is smell free, rinse well and dry, then put a slice of apple in it, or a peice of bread, put lid on for a day, then check.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh I too use them to place things in to keep mice away - silly mice. In my line of business - Fiber Arts I also use them to make my dye mixtures and also to hold my natural dye material after I gather them. During the Holiday time I also place my many types of cookies in them. Great for viewing but also great to keep in the freshness. I still have some Russian Tea Cookies from December that is fresh and yummy...

Congrat's on the great find...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Teresa! I'm going to try this asap! Mine have been used for storing used oil (cooking and automotive). I've been too worried about "pickling" my flour, sugar, rice . . . :-)

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  7:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
I usually scrub my galllon-sized former pickle jars out really well with baking soda, and depending on how bad the smell is, maybe let it sit with baking soda in it and the lid on for a while. It takes some patience and a lot of washing, but you can get the smell out. Also, just letting it sit open and air out for a couple of weeks after you've scrubbed it out, and then maybe washing it again (because in my experience, if you leave a jar or something sitting open for a couple of weeks, it *will* collect dust and little bugs and dog fur and Goddess only knows what else :-) ) seems to help. I am big on airing things out though.

Lis
*the Sourceress*
Go to Top of Page

crystalgayle
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Crystal
Poseyville Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile
I use mine to sprout edible seeds.

I cover it with cheese cloth and a rubber band. It keeps the seeds from molding, but also allowed me to dribble just a bit of water through the top to keep them moist.

It is easy to be beautiful; it is difficult to appear so...Frank O'Hara
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile
A solution of dry mustard and water will also help to remove smells from the seal - this works with plastic containers as well.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Fill with all your cookie cutters and put a pretty cloth top on the lid with a ribbon.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Getting out the pickle smell:
Fill up your sink with hot water and use a lemon based dish soap. put the jar in on it's side and the lid in and let soak. Turn the jar if needed ( it have deep sinks so it fills up over the top of the jar)
I soak mine over night, clean the next day when I wash my dishes and no smell! Hope that helps.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  01:51:36 AM  Show Profile
I use Baking Soda also ...to rid jars of their smells. I use my gallon jars for all kinds of things.
I store my Cleaned Lavender in one, as I make Lavender Eye Pillows. I store my Flax Seed in One. And I use one for all colors of Ribbon for crafting...It looks so beautiful on display. Just a couple ideas.
Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

biker farm girl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Patty
Mtn. View Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  10:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a source for 1/2 gallon glass jars? They are easier for me for the amount of goat milk I get, and easier to pour from, but rare.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Patty, try your local resturants, some will save them for you for free, or sell at low price.

Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
We get all our milk in 1/2 gallon glass bottles from a small local dairy in southern Pennsylvania. There is a deposit on the bottles, and when they're empty, we rinse them out and take them back to the co-op and get our deposit back. Ideally, we'd just trade them for full bottles, but because I don't always remember to bring them, sometimes I don't have a bottle at all when I'm getting milk, and sometimes I have a whole bunch. Maybe you could find a dairy near you that does something similar? Or even go visit a place that has a dairy like that, buy a bottle of milk, and just keep the bottle?

I had been using the pint-sized bottles that the whipping cream came in on my kitchen window sill to hold various implements and plants I was rooting and so forth, but I hated not giving them back for the deposit. Then I found hot cocoa mix from a small company in Vermont packaged in the exact same glass bottles. There is no deposit on the ones that come with the cocoa, so every time I have an empty bottle from the cocoa mix, I wash it out and swap it for one of the ones from the dairy, so I can take those back and get my deposit back. $1.75 isn't that much, but it adds up pretty quick.

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)

Edited by - Sourceress on May 10 2010 6:58:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  9:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Patty, I use 1/2 gallon size mason jars for our raw cow's milk. I bought them from ACE Hardware. It was a 6pack for $10. I like the wide mouths for easy cleaning. Instead of using the metal lids that come with the jars, I invested in the white plastic ones. They are simply better for everyday use.

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of gallon jars as I've been using them for years.

When my hubby and I were a very young family he brought home about half a dozen from the olive plant where he was working. Ahhhh....I thought that was so romantic!

But I use them for everything. And they look so pretty with different grains, beans, flours etc in them for kitchen use. You could spray paint the lids to match your decor theme. Or you could easily make cute little old fashion looking cloth covers to place over the lids.

As other posters already stated, herb storage, stitchin' supply storage, sun tea, iced coffee, candle jars, etc, etc, etc. Or, if you have tons, make the lid pretty, make a label and fill them or not, just depending on what you decided to do, and give them as a gift. You could make a set of canister's for some event, makes a great gift!

I let mine sit open for about a month and the pickle just goes away. This is an easy way to deal with the pickle smell unless, of course, you need or want to use them right away.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile
As I mentioned before I use my big jars for crafting pretties because they just display so nicely. But what I didn't mention is I don't like the plain white lids...so I paint them, pick out pretty floral stickers or pictures and decoupage them on the lids...then tie either a matching colored Ribbon, a piece of lace, a piece of jute or a piece of colored cord around the neck. They also make pretty door-stops that way too.

I look for them all the time at Antique Stores or garage sales.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  9:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, decoupaging the lids is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  05:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I use my gallon jars to make the sauerkraut from MaryJane's magazine; the recipe appeared last summer. It's wonderful. My husband and I bought an antique cabbage slicer at a garage sale and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for all the tips on getting the pickle smell out of jar lids. I love to have lots of glass jars around but was throwing out the pickle lids because of the odor. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I also use them for storage of flour, sugar, also I put my cookies in them. I was as able to put mine in my dishwasher and wash them that way. My daughter in law just saw them and asked where I got them. She works at a school and thats where I got mine.

jill
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9399 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9399 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you can use different lids for them. The smell is not in the glass jar it is in the lid. I just started replacing the lids whenever I could find ones that fit. I tried baking soda and everything else but it takes a really long time to get that smell out.
You can find glass jars for storing at www.amazon.com

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  06:45:07 AM  Show Profile
I have painted my lids and put labels on my jars, they stay out on my hutch in maine. Better then canister sets that nothing fits in, and you get tired of looking at after a while.

jill
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  1:40:55 PM  Show Profile
my hubby uses them as part of a squirrel feeder he makes with his students. We have one outside and I tell you the squirrels are constant visitors.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic gallon glass jars? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page