KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  5:51:59 PM  Show Profile
I gave blood yesterday and didn't get woozy. I made sure I drank lots of water before and I semi-reclined while giving. I strongly believe in being a donor now. I have a neice who has had a bone morrow transplant and a double lung transplant. Anyway I have O negative type blood which they really like to get. I encourage you to be a donor if possible.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:03:10 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could. I give blood really easily too. But, I've spent en extended period of time in East Africa, particularly in the slums where there is a lot of disease, so I'm not allowed to donate anymore :(

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I was donating plasma 2x a week a while ago. I stopped for a while, because it was making me a little sick. I want to get on the bone morrow donor list..

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  03:41:33 AM  Show Profile
When I turned 21, it became a habit to donate twice a year.

It's so easy. I have to remember to lay off the cafffiene a day before and the day of due to poor iron.

Have only gotten woozy once and that was from running through a parking lot while trying to get out of the rain after having donated an hour earlier. Felt kind of funny lying on the floor in the book store, but it was better than passing out against my will!

When the nurses say take it easy, that's what they mean!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Giving Blood is a nice thing to do. I do once or twice a year. Even my dog donates blood.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Had hives. Can't donate. Did when I was in High School. It is a shame really because I have O+ blood and it is in demand.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Had a feeling donation time was round the corner, and sure enough.

I donated today...no problems thus far.

The guy who did the needle stick was a real nice guy. Joked a lot, but most importanlty, got my vein on the first stick to where I barely felt it...really! Is that good of him or what??

The worst part still is the finger stick
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:05:01 PM  Show Profile
The day I turn 16, my Mom is taking me to the blood center, and I'm going to give blood as much as I can. I have O negative too, the universal blood type. Our blood center here actually almost ran out of O negative blood, so I guess it's in pretty high demand here! Anna, sounds you had a good experience!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  9:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I donate two or three times a year..this Thursday night I will be, in fact. I have rarely had a problem...once or twice my iron was low. Makes me feel like I am helping someone somewhere.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  03:57:16 AM  Show Profile
There has only been one time when a nurse had to readjust the needle, and it about sent me to the roof. Have never felt such pain.

Got a bruise that went part way down my arm on that one too.

I make sure to drink PLENTY of water that morning. It makes a difference for sure!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Giving Blood Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page