lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone one live in a century old farmhouse?

Our house is 1881 circa triple red brick, two story farmhouse with summer kitchen. I love it here and never want to move.

Anyone else have old farmhouses?

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile
My home was'nt originly a farmhouse, but a stage coach relay station (trade off horses after mountain climb and before next mountain climb), but , it is over a hundred years old. As far as I was able to find out, the original part of the house was built in 1882, which consisited of what is now the kitchen/dinning area, hall pass to the what is now the master bedroom. My living room was once the front porch, and was enclosed in the 30's, the hall pass was enlarged into what is now the only bathroom/laundry room/mud room combo. Two more bedrooms were added on, on each side of the living room. I still use (as our only source of heat)the original woodburning stove, sold by "Montgomery Wards" in the late 1800's. The exterior is wood clapboard, which we've had to replace some over the years, the 2 x 4's are all true 2 x 4's (modern ones are actually 1 3/4 x 3 3/4).

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:36:32 AM  Show Profile
lovingwe - I TOTALLY love your blog. And your farmhouse!!! Beautiful.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the compliment Jennie.
I love our old house even though there are days I think it might fall down around us. The work to repair old things cost a lot. This year we hope to get some wiring done in the place. No telling how many wires have been lost to mice in the walls.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Mine was built 1849, a brick colonial. It is a real money pit. Just when you think you have fixed enough stuff to get through a year without reapirs, something creeps up. There is no insulation, just three layers of brick with plaster inside, so needless to say it is not energy effiecient. No closets, because they didn't have them back then. The bathrooms were added in 1950 so they are very small. I used to work in real estate so I have been in thousands of houses. They just do not make homes like mine anymore. It may send me to the poor house, but I love my old house too. If you go to my blog and go to the January 28, 2010 post I have a picture that was found in my house. It must be from sometime in the 1800's and I have no idea who they are. Some very elderly neighbors can give me history back to 1920-30's. Just think of all the history that happened in these old homes. If walls could talk.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:52:18 PM  Show Profile
vege... here is a picture from the 1880's I would take a good guess that is when your CDV is from. the style of her shoulders and the collar gave her away

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Edit here is the pic http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=698511&imageID=815579&total=705&num=0&word=costume%201880s&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&k=0&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&imgs=20&pos=14&e=w

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn-neleh: Your blog is gorgeous and your house is beautiful too. Keep up the good work. Your farmgirl friend Bonnie in Minnesota.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ilene
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

ilene
westminster colorado
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I was raised on a farm in Minnesota and when my brother sold the family farm three years ago, I realized how I missed it. My ex and my son had been living in an RV in a crime-ridden part of Denver and I wanted to help them move. I found a farm on the internet and bought it. I was so lucky. My farmhouse was built in 1913 and I must have a huge party for it in 2013. My ex passed away in March so my son is now living by himself at the farm. He refuses to move. He's become a real die-hard country boy.
Any ideas on how to make the 100th anniversary of my house a memorable one?

Ilene
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  8:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Ilene: How lucky to have a farm of your own! and a 100th coming soon. Get as much info on the year 1913 and farming. Look in the library for the repro catalogs. I have one from 1908. See what kind of clothes, farm equipment, etc. they had. Your local historical society could help too. Also the internet. Then Have a summer picnic on the lawn. Use real tables and chairs (that's what they did) Kerosene lamps, real dishes and silver (if you have it). See if there are cookbooks from that era to see what they ate. Maybe you have the history of the farmhouse itself of the family that built it. If you can afford it, hire a square dance caller and invite friends, neighbors, etc. (ask them to bring some food too). Oh what fun! I can just see it now. The house I grew up in was built in 1910. Keep in touch. it will be so exciting to see with what you come up with. (Oh, check the games they played, etc. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  10:31:51 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great idea! My farmhouse will be 100 in 2013 also, and we were thinking of having a birthday party. We've only been here for five years but we know the lady who lived here the longest--55 years--she lives in town now. Plus, we have all of the paperwork from the original patent deed, dated 1872 and signed by President Grant to the original. I need to get to work on this.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

ilene
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

ilene
westminster colorado
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,

Thank you for the ideas. I'm going to start shopping for fancy tablecloths at once. I am already a cookbook collector and have several from Minnesota.

Marcia,

What fun. We can plan our birthday parties together. I am just so thrilled to have this farm. The inside of the farmhouse has been remodeled and the ceilings are now a very high 12 feet. It gives us lots of room to display fun things. How lucky you are to have all the paperwork.

Hugs,

Ilene
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  9:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Marcia: Another lucky farmgirl. You and Ilene will have to chat and see what you can come up with. You know those houses had ice boxes and the ice was delivered in a wagon once a week. He used big tongs to bring it into the house and the pan underneath had to be emptied as the ice melted. Children from all around followed the ice man to see if they could get a chip of ice. Have fun!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  8:02:17 PM  Show Profile
We live in an 1884 farmhouse (farm is down to less than an acre now...but still) I love this old house and hope to live here for the rest of my life. We moved here nearly 8 years ago. Pictures of the house on my blog right now since we just re-roofed it this month. Wow..what a job..many many many layers of old roof..both wood and asphalt shinges. Nice to have that done!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Jenny: Another lucky girl. Enjoy the good stuff cause there is always lots of not so good. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey you guys are so lucky.
And an FYI my dad was an ice man.......certainly not that long ago. But he carried ice with big tongs and thus he acquired the nickname "Hack".

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

MargaretW
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Margaret
Dittmer Missouri
USA
99 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:20:56 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry to say my house will not 100 for 97 more years, but we do own 397 acres that was orginal to the first homestaders and a little bit of the orginal fur trading building is still here. I am however trying to make as many memories as possible with my kids and grandkids so when the family farm reaches 100 there will be someone to be proud to "brag" about it too. I envy all of you that have a "farm house". My home is in its infancy to be a farm house.

BFF (Being Farmgirls Forever)
Margaret

Proud to be an American! There is nothing better on earth than our freedom!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Ol' Henry the Farmhouse will be 100 in 5 years! This is the sweetest creakiest old thing. The floors are original and we've added on. Some of you may have seen my decorated porta-potty during the height of the remodel. Just to give you a quick update:

All the electrical has been updated as is the plumbing. We don't have it hooked up to a grey water holding tank but could and will as money allows later. We have all the drywall up. The kitchen and new mudroom and bathroom have been painted. The floor is nearly done..so my washing machine can get moved off the porch and back inside! The wrap around deck is next along with tile in the shower and new fixutres; lights toilet sink etc..etc.. It is a grand old quirkly place! We're waiting on the master bathroom and a sitting room in the third floor play area until later. We'll be nibbling on all that over the next several months. For now we wanted the mudroom and bathroom up and running before mid-june..that's the goal!!

We are definitely planning a birthday party. We'll display the original papers we have on the house and the land that it was once attached to...I love this old place....love love love it!!

This thread is so much fun!! thank you for starting it! ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile
That does it! My house's name is Dorothy! It's only fitting as it's the name of the woman who lived here for 55 years. Thank God she isn't flamingo pink anymore.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  7:23:41 PM  Show Profile
I love reading these posts! Ol Henry and Dorothy! So great! And Margaret, I think you are just as lucky to have a brand new 3 year old house on family property. That is pretty special. I love that you are busy getting it off to a good farmhouse for a century start. It will carry good feelings forever!

The house I grew up in was the oldest in the neighborhood and had been there before it was a neighborhood. Under the siding was log. Boy was that house solid. In winter we could go barefoot, it was so warm. It was over 100 years old, and at one time had been down a country road, in the booonies of Springfield Illinois, from a beautiful home called the Edwards place, where Lincoln courted his wife Mary Todd. I loved that house.

My house now is 25 years old, and I too want to keep it "original" for posterity, and hope it will withstand the test of time.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Marcia! The first house we ever own in Seattle (1907) we named Dorothy!! We called her Dottie! My husband and I did a HUGE remodel on that old house. It was incredible. The original oak floors had never been re-finished and they were GORGEOUS when they were done. We took off every bit of old lathe and plaster and hung all new dry wall! HEAVENS What you can accomplish when you don't have kids! Anyway, we planted a time machine behind one of the walls. We included a newspaper, pictures of Doc (my husband) and I, a letter I wrote, a piece of pottery he made when in highschool and a stained glass mirror I had made among other sweet things. We sold the house to a wonderful couple who carried on the tradition of calling the house Dottie! Sooooo wonderful..

When we bought this old farmhouse I just knew its name was Ol' Henry. Honestly! It just has a guy thing going on. My old pick-up truck is also named..Are you ready? This beater vehicle is affectionately called, "Old man in a trunk!" Cuz that's what it smells like! seriously, its a nice combo of cigarettes, booze, moth balls and age! I LOVE this thing!!

Here's to our old treasures~ julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I was wondering what happened to your posts about your home remodel. I am so glad to see this and to see all the progress. I just love old houses. I will never live in a new house. Old houses just speak to me. It sounds like ya'll have done so much. Not much longer now! And I love the name.

My house is the same age as my husband, 62. So not as old as yours. But I knew as soon as I walked into this place it was home. Even though I could bounce on the living room floor like a trampoline! And the inspector wrote a book about all that needed to be done before we could even move in. And he kept asking me if I was sure we wanted this place. I mean over and over, not just once. We have sunk well over $50,000. in this house and could do that much more. But I love it and love where it is. So it is a continual process. Ad the love grows more each year we are here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Century Old Farmhouses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page