Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 what if anything are you doing to prepare for old
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what if anything are you doing to prepare for old Next Topic  

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering if any of you are making plans to make things easier as you grow older or more handicapped? I am partially handicapped (born that way) and my husband is mentally and physically handicapped. I am always looking for ideas from people on what they are doing to help themselves get along in the future as they are less able to do for themselves.

Here I am planting a lot of perennial fruits and vegetables, which will save me having to do a lot of planting as I grow older. I have been putting in more and more fruit trees, nut trees, berry bushes, perennial vegetables like asparagus, rhubarb, etc. I also do not plant annual flowering plants unless the seeds are free, i keep my gardens mostly to self sustaining perennials, shrubs, vines, and trees that don't have to be redone every year. I use mulch to keep down weeds and soaker hoses to reduce the need to carry hoses all over.

We put in a wood boiler between our house and our sons, so that when we aren't able to haul wood into the house, he can help stoke the fires.

We have also installed grip bars in our bathroooms by toilets and showers when I had hip replacement surgery. Have put in front loading washer and dryer so we don't have to reach over the top..could be accessed from a wheelchair.

bloom where you are planted

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, this is something I think about all the time even though I am only 35. Scott and I both want a one level, smallish home that we can customize to our needs ie; wider doorways with a more open floorplan, bathrooms with a large, walk in shower with a seat, a front porch that is not too high off the ground so a ramp could be added if needed. Roll out drawers in the kitchen and I would like to eliminate overhead cabinets, as I can never reach the top without a chair or stool. Just have open shelving for everyday dishes and cups/mugs, lower cabinets for everyday pans, etc and then have a hug pantry for storage. Wooden floors- just so much easier for me as I have a really bad back and the vacuum just about kills me to haul it around.

We downsized several times, keeping only what we need and it makes for a simple cleaning/organizing/caring way of life. I also believe in a healthy lifestyle- body, mind, soul- to support you later in life. Thanks for starting this post.

Sustainable plants are a great idea. I already don't have the time nor energy to take care of a lot, so keeping it simple is for me.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
We did get a one level home when we lost our two story to a fire (which also had a basement..none here)..we do have steps up to the house and lots of levels outside..but we could use a ramp someday. We also did get a walk in shower in this house big enough to have someone in to help you and 2 seats..we too have roll outs and pull outs in kitchen and whereever possible as with my disabilities i have now i can't get down on my hands and knees and if i fall i can't get up..so yeah, they area great mention. we also have a pot rack over our island that makes it easy to get the pots and pans, and my cast iron pan collection is on hooks and racks on the sides and back of our island so they are easy to grab. Mugs on hooks and some utensils on the pot rack. wish we didn't have wall to wall carpet..it is difficult to keep clean....i do have a lot of problems vacuuming as well.

i also have done a LOT of organizing and keep adding more and more all the time..broom racks behind bathroom and one closet door so things are quickly available.

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  5:02:31 PM  Show Profile
I built my house to be W/C friendly No stairs except to a storage attic. All my plants come back every year. The washer would need to be changed to a front loader, I had grab bars but then I moved into my DH house and my son remained in my house he took down my grab bars, my DH doesn't want them on around here until we need them. I tried, and I can give up vaccumming. I taught my kids to make sure they put me in a nice nursing home and to bring me a hot fudge sunday at least once a week. So I guess I'll be ok. Plus I heard they have cable TV.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  8:30:50 PM  Show Profile
When we bought our house up north, we bought a one story on purpose just so there are no stairs. my hubby's knees are already getting bad. We have downsized a lot and I am still doing that even more. I do not want to have to dust stuff. I am short to begin with so I do not want to have to reach for things. we are putting in all vinyl flooring so it is easier to keep clean and easier to move about if either one of us ever needed a wheel chair. and out side I am doing the same things ,only putting in perennials so they come back every year. no annuals here either. so we have been starting to think much more about growing old and making things easier.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  07:36:09 AM  Show Profile
We are down-sizing our home. We just purchased a 1400 square foot home with half the acreage we have now. Our present home is 2400 square feet. The new home will be paid off in 15 years, which is when my DH will retire. The new home is all on one level. We will have less lawn and more hardscaping for ease of care. We are pouring cement walks for easy access.

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  8:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Having raised garden beds at table height and either paved or graveled walkways would be helpful for anyone who's confined to a wheelchair (and they also make it easier for the elderly). Also, if a person has trouble picking up things that have been dropped, it might be wise to invest in a support dog who is trained to help. This is a very interesting thread.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
when I had my hip replacement i got some of those reach/grip things..they really help out for picking things up and getting things down from up high too..also security can be a problem for older or handicapped people as well as protection from thieves..something to consider. Thanks I thought this thread would not only help me but help people to plan for their future.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you gals are planning for change. Not everyone will be handicapped but when life deals you lemons, you'll be ready. I was lucky to have a house all on one level with no basement. I have had 5 shoulder surgeries, two knee surgeries, a broken leg and a broken foot. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. But I am trying really hard to not let that define me. I need to rest more often so I gives me time to think of things I CAN do. I quilt, draw, sew, garden in a raised bed. I find heights of things, wise arrangement of things, kinds of tools can make a difference. I don't do things for extremely long periods of time but work and rest, work and rest. I find this relaxing and yes, frustrating. But remember to think positive. I laugh a lot and love this computer so I can keep in touch with my farmgirl girlfriends. I have a great life!

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  6:26:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and did I mention I do water exercises ( I used to teach swimming) and work out on one of the strengthening machines at the Y. I am active in church and am a Stephen Minister. My brain isn't dead (lol).

Bonnie Ellis

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
well i'm not old by any means..but my husband is disabled (mentally and physcially) and i was born crippled and have had lots of surgeries and hip replacement..so i'm getting as prepared as i possibly can for the future i know is coming..would rather that than the alternative.

everything i can to help staying active to be easier..

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Kay. I hate to see someone young have to go through so much surgery. But it is really our attitude that counts. We can be perfectly fine and be crabby. I don't want that word in my vocabulary. Think young!!!

Bonnie Ellis

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Stay as active as possible so that it all still works!!!

Stay out of debt so that there are fewer financial issues to deal with!!!

Letting my faith and trust in the Lord grow!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  04:14:51 AM  Show Profile
When we built our house we put in comfort height toilets (my Dad & dh's Mom have had hip & knee surgery, they tipped us off on this one). All doors are extra wide (dh's gran was wheelchair bound), accessible shower with large seat upstairs, and only 3 steps at the front porch, allowing plenty of room for a ramp should one ever be needed. Our main level and walkout could actually be used as 2 houses, only issue being getting from one to the other, we have a large open stairway that is quite odd shaped. We also have our offices in lofts accessible from spiral staircases - that one we aren't quite sure about, hopefully we have a while before we have to worry about it.

Sarah

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  2:49:13 PM  Show Profile
To all you younger gals. Old age comes to most of us but I think the most important thing we can do is to have an open mind. The world is so full of such fantastic things, be prepared for the good things to come too. Each stage of life has it's surprises. Make the very most of life. For our 45th weddning anniversary we went to Texas to see our son and spent some time at a dude ranch! Get excited about the posibilities and have a great attitude. Nuture the kid inside!

Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  3:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Bonnie!!! Not only should your mind be open but we need to keep them active!!!!
Yup . . . have all the fun you can!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  7:55:25 PM  Show Profile
I was also born with physical handicaps, along with my step father was handicap tragically in a car wreck at a very young age-30. So it taught me to plan ahead.

We've always done perinals not only because of not having to work every year, but for money savings too!

Chives, onions and garlic come back every year too.

We plan on buying a Ranch home. And one with in our price range of being paid off in no more then 15 years-just in case something happens. My plan in buying one cheap enough we can triple the payments each month that is due, and put as much of our tax return on it each year as well. That way it could be possibly paid off in 5 to 10 years! OR at the very least if something like a tragedy did befall us (has happened a lot in my family-IE my step father, then my mom's dad died when she was 9 in a plane crash leaving grandma to raise 5 small children on her own on very little money, etc). This way if something like that were to happen we would be ahead on the payments, and could go back down to the payments really owed (IE Say the payments are 200 a month, we would be paying 600 a month, plus all extra tax return each year, but if something happened, we could go back down to the 200 a month, and would of saved us years of still having to pay, because we would be paid off much sooner that way.).

Any way....basically same things every one else said, is in our plans.

Not only that but we plan on having my husbands grandma move in and she just had a leg amputated 2 weeks ago, so it will have to be w/c accessible for her.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm only 35 but I think about this all the time, mainly because I'm a single mother raising 2 boys. Things have been rough and raising 2 boys on one income has made it impossible to put anything back for retirement. About 10 years ago before things got bad I opened a Roth IRA account and added a little to it each time I was able. But I haven't been able to add anything the past 3 and a half years and I worry about this all the time.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  7:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm not old, I'm experienced! What I find really fun is to have a play party. Get out the crayons, paint, papers, yarn, clay, popcorn and whatever you thing would make "playing fun" fix some koolaid and cookies and invite your friends. As we get older we forget how to play. Be silly, chew gum, paint toenails, have a sleep-over. Be outrageous! Humor can help heal. You go girls, no matter what the age. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what if anything are you doing to prepare for old Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page