farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:26:36 PM  Show Profile
So a lot of people have suggested I go vegetarian because of the hormonal issues I'm having, because of the hormones and added stuff in the meat which obviously aren't helping a person with their hormones out of whack. Others have said that eating organic meat raised myself or from small trustworthy farms would be another change I could make (which is probably more realistic for me).

In any event, I started researching vegetarian ways of eating and I found something I didn't quite understand. I was also told to stay away from soy by many many people (even a lot of people here). But it seems like most of the vegetarian sites I go to, there is so much replacing this certain thing with a SOY product and another certain thing with a SOY product...I was a little confused.

Can someone tell me why exactly soy is bad?

Are there vegetarian sites out there that have menu plans that don't include soy?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:25:55 PM  Show Profile
I believe soy is supposed to be "bad" because it's a derivative of estrogen and in theory could contribute to breast cancer or other estrogen related problems. However, I don't know that there are any studies that really back this up and there are plenty that say it's healthy. It might be best to try it and see if you react badly to it. I'm vegetarian and if you really like a wide variety of vegetables, you shouldn't need to substitute with soy products. There are usually alternatives (almond milk instead of soy, etc), you would just really have to watch how much protein you're getting from your veggies.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, boy...I'm reading "The Whole Soy Story" right now, by Dr. Kaayla Daniel. I don't have a firm grasp on it all yet, but it has a ton of great info in it. I would highly recommend it.

I'm not done with the book, but the main thing I see now is that soy was never seen as food. It was highly esteemed as a good cover crop, in returning nitrogen to the soil, but wasn't seen as "food." Also, the soy products that were eaten were only eaten in small amounts (never as much as "recommended" by folks today) and were fermented extensively. When the products were westernized, people tried to get the processing time down as much as possible, and in that process, the products end up being very bad for you. Soy would HAVE to be fermented and processed over an extended period of time to be edible and digestible.

Soy disturbs hormonal levels, being high in estrogen. I actually read that monks in Asian monestaries ate a LOT more soy products to make their celibacy more tolerable. Weird, I think. Women have had severe female problems when they up their soy intake.

I may be wrong about some of this...like I said, I'm not done with the book yet, and it's one of those that has SO much informataion in it, I'll need to read it more than once to get a firm grasp on a lot of the info. I'd definitely go with organic meats instead! Soy has not even been given the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) approvel by the FDA. While I certainly don't agree with the FDA in a lot of things, that's saying something, that they don't even see soy as being safe. As I said, I'd recommend reading the book! Here's the website for the book... http://www.wholesoystory.com/

Hope this helps!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

Direct link to my blog: http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  7:15:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading Suzanne Somer's "Knockout" (here & there, as it is about cancer & is not light reading) & she interview many doctors. Some are mainstream, some are more "alternative" & many say to stay away from soy, for many of the reasons Kayla states above. Suzanne became famous as a dingbat blonde in Three's Company, but as a multimillionare who also happens to be a breast cancer survivor & health care advocate (with the money to do the research that you & I would love to do), her books are chock full of good data.
Many of the doctors in this particular book also list sugar as cancer's best friend.
Who knows? What works for some, does not work for others.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:10:57 PM  Show Profile
I have done a lot of research on soy and it's impossible to decipher. One hospital states it's bad, while another says it's a miracle cure. I do know that the estrogen in soy has been proven to not be the same as whats in a female body. It is not even all that usable by the human body. That is why the monks had to consume such huge amounts to counter it's testosterone levels. The amount they consumed, had it been natural to the human body, would have caused a heart attack before the first night fall. All the researchers agree on that point. I use a lot of different soy products for myself and my family. I was actually raised on soy products, but we are not vegetarians, never were. We just really enjoy certian things because they taste wonderful. I have eaten roasted and fresh fried soybeans many times. The people who claim they are undigestable are not right. They digested just fine for me and my family and friends with less gas and discomfort than some other beans. I could suggest some really great stuff to try and see if it sets well with you. If you'd like some ideas on what to try just email me.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  03:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Don't sweet potatoes contain estrogen too?

Instead of soy for the proteine, there's also Quinoa (keenwa) that is a South American grain and is a complete proteine all by itself.

And of course good 'ole brown rice and beans which when combined makes a proteine. (brown rice is better for you than white).

And before you totally write meat off, check around to see if you can get locally grown beef and poultry. Don't forget your local hunter too come deer season
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  04:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I would write off meat completely. I'm not opposed to eating animals, just becoming opposed (the more I learn) to what's in them and how some of them are raised. We are hunters here, so we have a freezer full of venison and have often joked that we are eating expensive organic meat. Its what I grew up on. Most the meat we eat is grouse, goose, pheasant, duck, deer, bear, etc. We also raise chickens, and although we haven't butchered any yet, we do get lots of chicken (meat)through bartering from a few local small farms and friends. I guess my research in vegetarianism is more to see "what's out there" and get more ideas for meals that aren't based around meat, especially when I found out about what's really in the few pounds of beef and pork in the freezer. It also changes the way you eat when you go out to eat - if you go out to eat. We don't go out very often at all...maybe once a month or two...but I'm starting to think its safer just to eat at home, the food that I know where it came from.

As far as the soy, it sounds like it might be one of those things where the media has a love/hate relationship. It is interesting to hear that it was never intended to be a food - that freaks me out a little bit. But I also have snacked on soynuts and things like that with no problems digesting. I think its one of those things where you have to do your own research and go with your gut - because unless we have the millions of dollars it takes to do the research ourselves, we're never going to know for sure. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:12:16 AM  Show Profile
my cousin in ca. mom died from breast cancer back when little was known. my cousin did hours hours of research on soy. the chemicals in soy can feed the cancer tumor if their is one. just like estrogen pills. if you are at risk for cancer in your family moderation is key. she wrote some amazing articles and papers. very smart gal. my dl was using soy. she was eating a lot for the symptoms you speak of. she ended up with acne and skipped periods and mood swings. i think balance is key. soy in my opinion can be ok. its when we overdo anything that it gets iffy.many folks find some relief with the yam cream. it is made from a yam that is not the one we eat at the store.i tried to grow it here but not good enough winters for it.i also would like to add what is in your environment that could also be a hormone load on your receptor sites. if the sites are full of chemical that does no good anything you do will not work as well. if the site is full you cannot put estrogen there.the whole menopause thing never used to be this hard. as with kids maturing so fast. periods at 10 etc. its the same for us at 50.new carpet is famous for hormone receptor site problems. you can go to ciin.org for more info. just my thoughts sherrye hope it helps a little

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Another food that was not intended to be a food, and was even thought of as a poison, is the beloved tomato! I wouldn't give it up for anything personally!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
LOL - I hate tomatoes :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  03:48:21 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who pounds down edamame like it's about to disappear. I do like it when it's in a salad and dry roasted and salted.

This friend eats so much, you can smell it when she sweats like you can w/ garlic.

To me it smells like baby formula

And I agree whole heatedly about the what's in it mentality. I envy anyone who can eat off the land and eat those "exotic" meats.
I bet grouse and pheasant is good. We have certainly enjoyed our wild pig, that's for sure!

So is it true that bear meat is black???
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Vegetarian question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page