urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Anyone interested? It seems that there are a lot of farmgirls who make their own soap and I haven't been in a soap swap for a while, so I think it's time I step up to the plate and host my own. Here's what I am thinking:

I'd like to limit this to lye based, true handcrafted soap. Cold-process, hot-process, and all variations thereof would qualify, as well as liquid soap and cream soap, as long as you actually make the soap and do not start from a melt and pour base or grated soap. There are folk who can bring melt and pour to an art form, I know, but it just isn't real, lye based soap. And some folk - me, for instance - have some sensitivity issues with even the best quality melt and pours. So, this here is for soap from scratch!

Sign-ups will be through May 20th, and you will need to send out your soaps by June 24th. This will give us plenty of time to cure formulations that need it, especially with the season's growing humidity. You will need to include return postage as well. Soaps should be the typical 4 ounce bath size. (If by chance we get more than 15 participants, we might make that 2 ounce bars so everyone can try everyone's soaps, but for now let's stick with the 4 ounce bar as a guide.) I know many sell their soaps so I do not think it fair to ask for formulations, but I do expect all gals to label their soaps as you would for selling. This includes your name, contact info, location, and whatever ingredients may be common allergens (a true ingredient list is nice but I know it is not required by law so we won't require it here.) I will sort all soaps and send back to you one soap from everyone else within a week of getting the last box. I will try my best to get it out within a day or so but I need to be upfront here. I work retail and my schedule can be real wonky sometimes, and I don't drive. So, the arrival of the last box will interact with my work schedule to determine how fast a turnaround I can make. But it will take me one week at the absolutely longest, that I can assure you.

I would love to see a range of talents represented here, so come on and let's have fun with this! Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned soapmaker, come join the party! Maybe there's a technique of swirling you are real good at, or maybe there's an additive you have been wanting to try out. Maybe you have a scent to end all scents and want to tell the world. Here's your chance! And if you are just beginning, trust me, we all remember those first wonderful steps of alchemy that transformed some dangerous lye and greasy oil to our own, glorious soap. Celebrate this transformation by sharing your creations!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart

Edited by - urban chickie on May 04 2010 08:56:49 AM

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I really have no idea how much interest we'll get here, so I was sort of hedging on the total number.....my thought was that while trying a lot of others' soaps is great, if too many people join it could get too expensive both in making and shipping and that cost might limit folk. I want anyone to play along who wants to do so! I have done soap swaps in other forums in the past and about a dozen is a good number. Over that and either everyone gets split into two groups OR you just cut your bars in half to make 2 ounce sizes and everyone gets from everyone else without having to make more soap. I sort of favor going the 2 oz route if necessary, just to get more variety back. So, I guess that's how I'll approach this. If we get less than 15 gals sign up we can stick with the 4 ounce size. 15-30 sign-ups and we'll do 2 oz sizes (just cut those original bars in half). And if more than 30 somehow join in the fun, then I most definitely will break it up into two separate groups LOL!! So the most soap anyone will need to send out will be 60 ounces ([15 x 4] OR [30 x 2]). Clear as mud?!?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Catherine I am preparing to do my spring soap batch tomorrow. Count me in. I'll just do an extra batch. 100% pure castile soap (about as lye as you can get) LOL.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, a few years ago I was having the most horrid time with my skin. Very dry but breaking out, and eczema off and on. It was a mess, and that's when I started making soap. I found that castille was the best thing for it and I almost never have those problems anymore, and can now use other stuff too. Castille rocks! Glad you will be joining us.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  9:53:59 PM  Show Profile
It's the only soap we use. May be because it's the only soap I make. You think??? It is wonderful and makes a great shampoo too.

Go to Top of Page

shabby-mama
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Nicola
Fowlerville Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine,
Could you please count me in as a 'maybe' for now? I will let you know before you close this swap. I just moved and my soap supplies are still packed, but I am running out of soap myself so really need to get it together. :)
I am not sure what kind I will make yet, but it will be cold process, with mostly organic ingredients and base oils. Thanks,
Nicola :)
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Sure, I'll take a maybe LOL!
I am trying to decide what I want to make.....the blooming lilacs have me craving a lilac soap BUT I am also wanting to make my yogurt-pumpkin bar.....decisions, decisions!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  08:19:02 AM  Show Profile
I was expecting a lot more interest in this, with all the talk about soapmaking on the forum. If anyone is on the fence about the swap, I sure hope you will join us!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  12:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
I would love to join you, but I have never made soap, and given the time and energy constraints I have to deal with, it's unlikely that I'll be learning how in any kind of useful timeframe. I have done a lot with melt-and-pour soaps, and even know where all my stuff is, so if anyone ever sets up a a melt-and-pour soap swap, I will participate in that, but for now, as much as I'd love to, I have to pass on the homemade-from-scratch soap swap. :( Good luck to you all!

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
living with CFS since 1993
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile
I am also a person that only knows how to make the the melt-and-pour soap. I admire the women that make homemade soap from scratch!

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

DuckGirlMass
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Candida
Leicester MA
USA
218 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  07:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Send DuckGirlMass an AOL message  Send DuckGirlMass a Yahoo! Message
I would love to join, but I use a glycerin based melt and pour for the beeswax soap I make. I will join if you amend the soap making process! :o)

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.....
www.etsy.com/shop/SomethingWiccan
http://stores.ebay.com/Something-Wiccan-Buffalo-Carvings
www.somethingwiccanwares.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I understand that many people make the melt and pour soaps but I really can not use them. I would like to keep the original lay out of the swap that Catherine designed.

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile
I have a question on what kind of molds you all use for your soap making. I am starting with the cold process and want to know if plastic containers are ok? I've seen wood used as well and lined with freezer paper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Marsha, plastic can definitely be used but I wouldn't ever use it for anything else, in case the plastic has absorbed some lye or somesuch. You can use a lot of things as a soap mold and I recommend using a cheapie until you have done it at least a few times and know better what will work best for you. Many folk I know with soap businesses started by lining a shoebox or a sturdy cardboard flat (like a case soda pop or canned food comes in) with a garbage bag. That will work, and you can reuse the box too. Some folk have used plastic food containers (as long as they will not be used for food again), wood slab or loaf molds, decorative plastic and silicone molds, all sorts of things. Just do not use reactive metal containers because the lye is still very active when you pour! And do not bother greasing or oiling the container as some would tell you to do. It will not help, because the lye will just eat up the fat and saponify it and you will have a layer of over superfatted soap on the edges. And be sure the container is such that getting the soap out after it is solidified will be easy - no container that gets wider on the bottom unless you plan to break it off. Some soap does not come out of the mold easily, so remember that when choosing a mold. If you find that soapmaking is something you will continue with, after a few batches with different formulations, you will have a better idea what kind of mold(s) you will want later, not just today. What size batches are you most likely to make? I find that with my arthritis, real big batches tend to run away from me, so I keep my batches under 4#, and usually do 2-3#. My molds are made to fit that amount. I also love to make decorative soap, so I do have a slab mold in which swirling a larger area after the pour is easiest. I also have a few shaped molds (hearts, trees, etc) but I have to be careful: a fast moving formulation won't work in those, as the soap will thicken too quickly for me to get each cavity poured separately. So I use slower moving formulations, soap colder temps, etc when using those. But my fav formulation is still one that tends to move a bit quick even at low temps. I don't care because that is my best daily use soap, and one for even the most sensitive skins. I just don't make things all decorative with it. Instead, I use a basic wooden loaf mold with that, lined with butcher paper before I even start so as soon as the soap starts to emulsify I can dump the whole batch in the prepared mold, wrap it up, and have usable soap in a few hours. (Yeah, with loaf or slab molds, I force complete gel. I like instant gratification LOL.) Loaf molds are perhaps the easiest, and you can still do a in-the-pan swirl if you want. Slab molds I would rate second easiest. A nice wood mold really helps insulate the batch to help force gel, and you have the option of using the lid or not. But silicone and plastic work, too. I have made experimental formulations in a 8x8" silicone baking pan I bought just for that purpose, BUT the sides tend to want to buckle with the soap weight, so I have to place it on a cookie sheet to support it as I move it around. If you google soap molds you will find a plethora of them, but a lined shoebox works great too! I know I am rambling but really it is an interaction between your formula, the size of the batch, and your desire to decorate (swirl, shape, etc) that will dictate the best mold. It's sort of a trial and error thing. Also, I would still line any mold except the shaped ones, just to be sure the soap comes out easily. A small tug on freezer paper beats scooping hard soap out with a spoon LOL!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, I emailed you a few days ago.....did you get the message? Nicola and I were thinking that since it is only the three of us, we could sent the soap straight to each other (so each of us would mail out two small packages). Pity more didn't join in but we'll have fun with just the three of us LOL!!

TOTALLY optional but Nicola suggested swapping maybe a few bars...I like that idea as well but as I said, totally optional. I have a few batches curing so I can share :)

Catherine

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  2:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine I did get your email. I have been working some extra shifts at the hospital and have just about beat myself up. I finally got a minute this afternoon to do some catch up. I am good with what you two want to do. Is Marsha wanting to get in the swap? I have a batch of pure castile curing now and I am making a batch of beeswax castile in the morning.

TO MARSHA: I save all kinds of plastic containers for soap molds. I don't mind throwing out a cheap plastic recycled mold but get quite upset if I mess up a $15.oo bought soap mold. I do have one tip - don't use plastic that has color in it. I just unmolded a batch of castile and was ready to cry. I used a plastic food tray for the mold because is had the neatest design on the bottom. I usually use clear plastic molds. The problem is that this mold is black and gave my soap a gray hue. The soap is still ok and should not change the texture of the soap but not the beautiful honey color on the mold side. (by the way ladies yes you are getting some gray soap LOL)

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Ugh, I hope you get some more down time soon! I'm sure the extra $$ is good but one can get dragged down real easy with too many shifts. Take care of yourself hon!

You know the silicone cupcake molds Wilton puts out? They also make wonderful small batch soap molds but the red ones leech color, time after time. So I can only put pink or red soap into my hearts mold lol. Forgot about those till you mentioned the grey soap. But hey, it doesn't change the feel or goodness of the soap!

OK, so gals we will go with three bars to each, OK? Closer to send time I will post a reminder as well. Any questions or concerns, feel free to ask!

Hugs,
Catherine

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
Glad you found a few people to swap with :-) - I really do wish I could have participated - soapmaking is one of the many things on my list of things I'd like to learn to do. I've been reading the posts about molds and techniques, in case I ever actually get around to giving it a go - now I know who to bug with all my questions!

For the people who were interested in doing a melt-and-pour swap - if someone is willing to organize it, I'd love to participate. If nothing else, maybe once stuff settles down around here a bit (she says hopefully) I will try to organize one.

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:13:02 AM  Show Profile
I am ordering my supplies so as soon as they come I will be ready for the next cold process soap swap.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Girls! I was just wondering if anyone makes unscented beauty bars?!?
Thanks so much!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

DuckGirlMass
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Candida
Leicester MA
USA
218 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send DuckGirlMass an AOL message  Send DuckGirlMass a Yahoo! Message
elisabeth I would be interested in a melt and pour swap

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.....

Farmgirl Sister # 1507

www.etsy.com/shop/SomethingWiccan
http://stores.ebay.com/Something-Wiccan-Buffalo-Carvings
www.somethingwiccanwares.com
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  9:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Channah, I am not sure what you mean by a beauty bar...do you mean a moisturizing facial soap? Or something else?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  10:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well I'm not really sure. It just said a unscented beauty bar. Maybe something close to it?!?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

raglady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Becky
Saint Maries ID
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  01:23:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry I missed the swap - we had one last year on this forum - about 8 or 10 people - only a couple were actually old-fashioned lye soap but they were all pretty and smelled good! I've been making soap for about 10 years - used to sell wholesale and retail in Texas before we started moving around so much. I now only do one show a year - Cheyenne Frontier Days in Wyoming - starting to make the soap for that show now. Becky
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  06:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine just checking in to see where we are. Becky, Catherine is the host but I would not object to having you in.

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Mmm...somehow I missed your post Becky but I saw Victoria's, weird! Becky, are you the same Becky that just contacted me re the kombucha SCOBY? If so, small world!! I would love another swapper, it seems that most of the gals here make melt and pour and few do true lye based soap. There are only three of us so you would be the fourth! We are sending out our soaps by June 24, so you'd still have time to participate if you want. Just let me know!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Handcrafted Soap Swap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page