Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Finally got my Treadle!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Finally got my Treadle! Next Topic  

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:00:26 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited that I just have to share this! Yesterday my DH and I went to an estate sale, it was the last day of a three day sale. While there, I came upon the most beautiful treadle sewing machine with cabinet, legs, and the whole works! I would say it is in near mint condition! Anyway, the price was listed as $125.00 but I got it for $55.00!!!! As far as I can tell the machine dates from 1921 to 1923. Of course, the band, (made of leather I guess) or whatever you call it was there but broken, I see they have replacement ones on ebay in different sizes and they also have keys! Just had to share, thanks!

Sue Feely

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Sue! I love my treadle <3 There's something about sewing on it that just feels SO good! What brand is the one you got? Got any pictures? I find all kinds of them on craigslist all the time and if it weren't for lack of space (I've got three crowding my craft room already *hides*), I'd probably turn into a crazy sewing machine collecting lady. They're just so beautiful and interesting to me. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan - I forgot to mention it is a Singer, the machine itself has a lot of red design in it!

MY bff just came over (she does not share my love for sewing at all) she just said another machine? I do have another oldie (1924 White) that I use all the time to sew on. I know some personally some women that have 3 and 4 machines!
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Is it a "red eye" then? I have a white FR and a White VS and an Eldridge B. I really have too many and need to get rid of at least one, I think :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Don't do it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Sue,
Don't feel bad about being a collector of machines. I have a treadle, two older Singers and a white. I actually have only used one of them. I am keeping the treadle and one of the Singers but the other two I need to let go. I listed them on Craigs list last month but no takers yet. I just don't have the room for them now.
I really want to use the treadle I have. I bought belts and bobbins on ebay for it. It has a bullet bobbin shuttle. It just looks so neat! It is from 1897.

"All you need is faith, trust and......a liitle bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  04:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sue, I am sooooo happy for you!! What a deal!!! Post a picture for us if you can. . . . hint. . . hint Just an FYI Lehman's carries the belts for your machine as well. You can find them on line and request a free catalog too. They supply the Amish community with lots of things and that's where I find whatever I need for my country kitchen.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:38:48 AM  Show Profile
JojoNH - I am familiar with Lehmanns, I do get their catalogs and Love them and do order from them. I will post pics if I can figure out how to post them!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile
WOW! what a deal & congrats...let us know how it works......

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sue - congrats!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  6:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Yippee! Those old Singers are great, better than anything made today that go for much more $$. And as for belt sizes, you should be fine with a standard 72" treadle belt. You might even be able to get one locally at a singer repair shop; ours carries them. On the Singer site you can get the exact date the serial # was given out, to date it more precise. There are also free manuals you can download, either on Singer.com or elsewhere if you search the web....do the attachment clamp on the back of the needlebar? I ask because I have a redeye, model 66-1. The early 66s were back clampers, and those accessories are harder to find becasue they are rarer, but some are out there if you need one. Have fun with your new toy!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Catherine and everyones well wishes!
Farmgirl sisters are the greatest!

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Sue, I am so happy for you!
Years ago, I was moving, again, and my roomate offered to 'keep' my Singer treadle machine safe for me, and that if I ever wanted it back, I could have it. As she loved antiques, I knew it would be in good hands. Fast forward about 25 years...I called her and asked if the next time I came through her area, could I have it back? She told me she 'loaned' it to a friend...in Oregon!! (she lives in the bay area near S.F.) So, now I am plotting a trip to Oregon to get my machine back. I have a Bernina that I love, but I have been thinking of my dear treadle more and more. It is the machine I learned to sew on. Sure, I could get any old treadle on line, but my heart is aching for my baby to be back with me.

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So happy for you... I know you will LOVE having it...

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:49:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a NEW Bernina treadle machine, put it in an antique cae and use it constantly. I like it much better than my other electrics, sew nice!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Finally got my Treadle! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page