sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:25:53 PM  Show Profile
we rescued 2 goats. need to do hooves. i have the cdt not sure if it is sub q. i want to give them a good worming. i saw kris used different things. they are skinny. shedding clear bright eyes hungry sweet. appears the younger daughter is drying off a milk bag. i know nothing about the goats. nubian boer cross. do all goats have lice and need to be treated. i hate the pesticide. but will do if need be. are their other shots i should give them. should i test for cae before i put with ginger? channah and you gals please guide me. the mom goat looks old. full rack of horns. can i tell by looking at her teeth how old?they are so skinny.they have been here 2 days. poop looks good. i gave them some alfalfa pellet and sunflower seeds today. i was able to pet mom. she stopped eating and closed her eyes while i rubbed her cheeks and talked sweet to her.the other doe is still scared some. she had a collar. i can see where it wore on her. well now we have more than a few goats. lol hope they stay home. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherry!! I am glad to help you out. What kind of wormer are you thinking of useing?
I really like to use Fias co farms wormer because it is all dried herbs and natural. They have a very good price too. I think it is $20.00 for 2 bags of it and it last forever!
Not all goats have lice. If you see bare spots treat it with tea tree oil as it really gets rid of lice.
As for shots I don't give mine any because I don't believe in them but it is up to you. I just worm mine and they do fine. And yes you can tell how old they are by looking at their teeth. They are kinda like horse. lol I would really watch how much Alfalfa you give them because it is very rich and they can get sick from it. I would give it to them 2 or 3x a week depending. And make sure they have hay and water at all times and a clean place to sleep but it sounds like you already know that. lol
For the other doe who is scared I would just talk, sing, read to her. If you walk towards her and she moves away I would stop and just sit or stand there. Let her get used to you and the sound of your voice. And slowly after she gets used to you you can hold some grain in your hand and see if she will come towards you while you are talking to her. :) It takes lots of time and patience but I just know that little goat will come to love you and trust you. :) I did it with one of my does and now we are best friends. :)
Hope this helps you out Sherry! I am sure you are doing great!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:17:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, CDT is under the skin, not in the muscle. It tells how much to give them. And with the wormers I use different ones because they become immune to them if they get the same every time. Plus there are so many different types of worms that each wormer kills. I am having a time with the little buck. I started on Cydectin then the next two days Valbazen then today Ivermectin. Something has to kill those worms. And I am not sure what they are. I am not a good scientist when it comes to this stuff. So I just use different things. He's a lot better than he was 4 days ago but still has some puffiness under his jaws.

You are doing a good job with them. I would wait a few weeks before putting them with Ginger. You just never know what they are carrying around. Always quarintine new animals. Just spending time with them will get them used to you. I am finally able to pet Sandy's kids without them running away terrified. Those silly Nubians!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:03:28 PM  Show Profile
thanks kris and channah, i am getting caught up now. next the new goats vac. and worm and hooves and a brushing. i wonder if i should compromise and get goat chow for them. they are so sunk in in the belly. thinking i need to pump them up with some vits. and goat chow. even though it is gmo. i could stop after they put some weight on. i think the older one is trying to cycle. no boy friend for her. she needs to fatten up a bit.sweet goats. now i will need names..lol.. for these girls too. goatie mama wont work sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Congrat's on saving two sweet one's. Sounds like you are going to play catch up with their weight for a bit but not to worry. First I would spend the money to get a fecal check from your vet and if you can afford it also a blood work up. There could be more reasons for their thin bodies other then worms. You will be wasting feed if it you don't get a base line on them first.

Next minerals is the best way to get their body to start using that food correctly. Next great hay - all the want and some grain will put the weight on but you really do not want it to go on too quickly.

As for social skills I might suggest giving them time - not all animals will wish to spend every minute with you but if you let them work up to you the process goes much quicker and lasts a life time.
Also remember eye contact is a threat to animals. I found if you just sit with a book or something and let them come to you they will be there next to you before you know it..

Good luck and keep us informed - love that you are assisting two sweet goats in need.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
In some animals looking into there eyes is like a threat but sometimes with goats eye contact is key. I wouldn't just stand there and looking to her eyes but maybe when your taking to her kinda glance in your eyes. All animals are diffrent and I am not saying that they all will like it. My goats respond well to looking into there eyes but maybe Grace's goats do no. It just depends. Here is a wonderful artical for you to read from fias co farms.

Talk to your animals

Most animals lovers don't need to be told this, we love our furry (or scaly) friends and talk to them all the time. But what I am suggesting is that you really look into their eyes and really talk to them. Speak to them in full sentences like you believe they understand you, because if you give them the chance they will. They can understand much more then you know.

When you have to treat your animals because they are ill, explain what you are doing and why you are doing it to them. Explain that you love them and want them to get better, and you are doing what you are doing to help them.

If you have to give some sort of unpleasant treatment, don't just jump out of nowhere, surprise your animals and force the thing down his throat. That is what is traumatic, not the actual thing being forced into their mouth but the surprise and unexpected action of the human.

Mable, our diabetic basset hound must have insulin shots twice a day. She doesn't like the shots (who would), but when it is time for them we say, "Mable, it's time for your shot. We're sorry, good girl, but you have to have the shot or you'll get sick." She does not run away, but waits for her shot. We say, "Here's you shot" <give the shot> Then we very enthusiastically say "Good Mable, yeah, you had your shot, now you get your vitamin pill. YEAH." And the we give her her vitamin which she thinks is a very special treat.

Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:10:10 AM  Show Profile
just wanted to say i hope everything is going ok with your new goats i'm sure you will get them healthy in no time and thank you for saving them- from a fellow goat lover. and i know if i go out with my goats and don't pay any attention to them and pretend i'm doing something else they get curious and come over-they are nosy!!

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh Mary Jo your so right, they are little busy bodies. I love that about goats because they remind us to keep a playful outlook at life and try new things.

What I also was talking about the eye thing is I have rescuded dozen of abused animals here at the farm - alpacas who where ready to be put down because of their attacking humans and alpacas alike. Llama's who have trambled their own babies out of fear, sheep who had broken limps thru cowboy roping and even my own Ebony who when she came her kept throwing her self into the side of the barn until she finally aborted her babies. I must say I have dealt with alot of disfunctional, mistreated animals and what I meant by looking them in the eye is until you have gained the trust with them "Eye Contact" is another form of threating behavior. I sit long hours gazing into the eyes of my sweet one's but that is not the case when you first get a trauma animal. Also, you may think that talking will calm them but silence is key when you wish them to engage. I teach my animal owners to first calmly breathe - make it loud so they can hear it but breathe. When a human is concerned their breathing changes and that is what the animal will respond to. I have brought many an animal away from panic just with the slow, calm, steady breathing.

Life is a dance but if your partner is out of step you all end up with black and blue toes.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile
grace its interesting you say that. i will remember it. i know since i am in pain each day i put out different energy. i am sometimes on the edge of coping and not.i can see it in buttercups moo coo. the calmer and slower and more i control the tight feeling inside the better she is. my animals are my therapy. i will sit with them today. they will come to me now.you girls think i need a blood draw. i was not planning that vet visit. i should check for cae i guess. i was going to do vacs for sure. since i spent so much money trying to save faith the cow i was not planning on a vet bill. i will not breed till fall. i could test before i breed them. they are really just uncared for and skinny. now they come to me and allow me to pet them. thanks girls. i think i will do some hooves today sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I ment when she gets used to you not right now. lol It is not wise to do that when she is afraid of you. I was writting that at 1:00 in the morning. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile
I wrote something....I don't know where it went. Computers are difficult to me. Let me try again.
Sherrye -I hope the additions to your family goes well. I could see the goat closing her eyes as you comforted it. Goats are so personable that way.

Maggie14 - Can I ask what Fias Co Farms Wormer is and where to get it? Thank you!! Miss Kris : )
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris!! Sure thing! Here is the link to there wonderful website. http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/index.html
I just love there stuff! It is well worth the price!
If I can help any more please, please let me know!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  5:52:06 PM  Show Profile
thanks channah, always good to hear from you. it rained all day. i washed dishes and laundry. no goat stuff today. oh i did go give them a clean dry straw bed in the shed. i went out and they went in. then it rained. perfect i will check out fiasco farms too channah thanks sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
aww, you are very welcome Sherry! Glad I could help out a little.
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  3:18:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Channah, I appreciate it. Milking is still a challenge but I am hoping it will improve with time and effort. I got 3 messages that you may have responded to me but I have not figured out how to access it. Oh brother! I will keep trying after supper.

The kids are doing well at the breeders farm. They would not eat for 2 days - they are eating now and nibbling grass and drinking water. So they will be fine. He is feeding them the goat milk I gave him too.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You'll get it Kris! It took me a while and I got one who was already milking so I had to learn fast. It was intresting for sure! lol
That is wonderful about your goats!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:02:43 AM  Show Profile
This morning it took less than 1/2 hour to milk the 2 goats (mother and daughter) so I feel encouraged. My husband did not hold the let this morning either. While there was some kicking, I could control it and keep milking. Progress!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Kris, sounds like you are doing better. Just don't give up and let them win. You need to let them know you are the boss and you will do this. Sometimes it takes awile especially if they have never been milked before. Or if you have never milked before. But pretty soon you will be a pro at it. I have been milking about 5 years now and I can get the 4 does milked in about 15 minutes. If Faith is not to full that is. If she is it might take 15 minutes just to milk her out. I need a milk machine for her. She'll give a gallon at one time.

So how much milk are you getting now? And is it good? I can't remember what kind of goats you have.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Help! I am getting an message from webmaster@Maryjane..... and do not know how to get message off it. I go to the address it gives and it brings me here but there is no message. I am sure I hear a
chuckle but I just don't know what to do next. The message comes from this place "more goat questions"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Kris, have you subscribed to thei post? You may need to unsubscribe if you don't want emails. Hopefully someone can tell you how to do that. All I see is where to subscribe to a topic.

Good luck! Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:20:16 AM  Show Profile
I am one of the biggest nuts when it comes to programs on the computer.....grinning....I see there is a page 2 right now. All you can do is shake your head..... I will ask my in town farm girl to help me.
Kris, I milked as a kid on my dad's place. Now I have had my 2 goats for nearly one year. Nanny,(my kids named her)Oh! its raining, I am going to let the goats in, will be right back. back...
Nanny has been milking for a long time, she is older - 4 or 5 years. She gives a little over 2 qts. a milking. I have not saved Nibs milk yet because it is such an adventure milking her. I am afraid it is not clean enough. Don has been feeding it to the chickens. The goats are Togg and Togg/Alpine. Hanging in there...Kris
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  3:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like you are doing just fine Kris! Way to go farmgirl! Keep hanging in there.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile
miss kris are you getting welcome e-mails from the farmgirls. when i first signed up i said yes to a question about e-mails. i got tons of welcome ones when i would go there no message. they are auto welcomes from the girls i think. never figured out how to stop it. pretty soon they stopped. i just read the name of who it was from and then delete. just maybe whats happening to you being new. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic more goat questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page