Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Anyone ever eaten a guinea?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone ever eaten a guinea? Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, we butchered 3 of our 4 guineas this afternoon. I have never scalded a bird in my life, nor plucked an entire bird! I did my turkeys a while back, but I took the breast meat and legs. This time, we have an entire bird carcass. It was a lot easier than I thought! Especially the scalding and plucking part! I was really surprised.

I am planning to put one on our rotisserie tomorrow. Anyone else ever eaten a guinea?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:46:54 PM  Show Profile
They are wonderful for soup stock, I have fryed and roasted them also.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Well, I almost butchered a bunch but finally gave them all away. Did the 4th one get away? I saw on the cooking channel once where they cooked it. It's very dark meat, right? I like dark meat better than white. Let us know how it turns out, ok?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, I did it! I cooked one of the guineas in my rotisserie/toaster oven. They have a good amount of white breast meat. Looks and tastes just like chicken! The thighs/legs are a very dark meat, which was somewhat still a little tough, so I threw the remainder of the bird (minus the breast meat) into a Ziploc and I'm going to make some broth/soup out of it. I should also note that I raised plain ol' guineas, not the 'French' guineas, which are much larger and probably provide a lot more breast meat.

I made 'guinea salad' out of the breasts. Doesn't sound as appetizing as chicken, does it? Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we eat guineas, I put them in a turkey cooking bag and add rice and a can of fruit cocktail, they are delicious, tender and no leftovers usually. Farmgirl#946
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone ever eaten a guinea? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page