Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Star is our neighbor's dog, who I believe is a shephard/lab mix.

He came by way of the husband's daughter about 5 months ago.

Found out shortly after he arrived that he is HIGHLY food aggressive.

No problem there. Whenever i would wath him, I md him sit and obey and always rewarded him with treats for coming back into the house.

He has at times attacked my own dog, a friend's dog, threatened me as crossover when I was breaking up a scuffle w/ him and my own dog. he has bitten his mistress 2 weeks ago. And I foud out he bit his master last week.

Now here's the background. This dog was raised in a pack situation with hunting dogs and was fed as a group so every dog had to fend for itself come mealtime.

This dog possesses the typical lab stubbornness and won't do what he doesn't want to. If he is pushed, he will growl and threaten.

So last week when he bit his master, he was in a vehicle at a place where there was another dog/\. The dog walked away and master wanted Star to ge tout of the vehicle. When Star began to portest (growl, snap) master reached in to grab the collar. Star attacked and bit one arm, then the other as master was yelling and beating the dog off.

Anyone see a few major problems here???

This dog is 10 years old, and some "dog expert" in the family claims that a 10 yea rold dog can't be unlearned to not attack.

It IS possible but would take monumental effort and LOTS of positive reinforcement.

Anyone out there ever read Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot The Dog"?

Too bad these people don't "get" the concept of positive reinforcement.

So the poor dog will be due for a shot of the pink juice next week. It would have been today, but the call was made last night and the vet was booked.

I'm a little relieved the people wren't going to mess around any more, b/c this IS dangerous especially when we have little kids visiting all the time, but it distresses me to see a dog paying the price for someone's lack of dog intuition, training and ignorance.

In my opinion, true dog ownership takes time. And isn't just geting an animal and tossing it some food and puting it in a run or backyard and expecting it to "behave" when it's removed from the old situation.

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Anna, I agree with you 100%. There are no bad dogs, just bad people. You can teach an old dog new tricks. I have done it. Positive reinforcement and calmness will go a long way. So sorry he is going to be put down. He was only doing what he was taught to do by humans. I have a foster dog right now that was tied out all her life (2 years). She is so happy to be in the house and next to people. She is learning how to be a pet pretty quickly. She is learning a lot from my dog, Molly. I am in a rescue group that takes dogs on death row and rehabilitates them in foster homes before they are adopted. You can tell a lot about a person's soul by how they treat their dog.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I could not have said it better. It will take time to help this dog. Lots of love, understanding, will help too.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  04:39:05 AM  Show Profile
You are all right on on this!!!
I got a 1 yr. old rott. several years ago. This dog was suppose to be here for dog sitting, still here!! Anyway, she was never socialized, never trained anything!
I used Karen Pryors clicker training on my 10 yr. old Rott. He was taken everywhere, and has been hiking,camping,shoppin, you name it. He is awesome, still grumblie about bones, but if I say drop it, he does!Now Sis, the new rott. Is doing great!She is well behaved in the house [most the time], I have never taken her like I did harley, mainly because we did not trust her. But she listens, has never bitten and is a lover!She is on 2, now and I hope to continue to improve her. But it will take time. I always have thought that how a person acts with their animals is more proof of what kind of person they are. I will pray for the dog. I know God loves them all, even the "bad" ones. Maybe he can hang out in heaven with my Abby, she was the best Rott. ever and she can tell him, no need to be fear aggresive, my Ma will love you too!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic problem pooch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page