Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Does Anyone Know....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does Anyone Know.... Next Topic  

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  06:17:27 AM  Show Profile
what kind of material I would make nursing pads out of? I have been reading about the costs of things baby related and I'm trying to figure out a way to cut costs any way I can. I don't have a sewing machine and I don't really know how to sew that well, but I figure I can sew two ovals of cloth together. I'm just not sure what kind of cloth I would use..terry? Wouldn't I want one side to be kind of a moisture barrier to keep fluids from leaking through my bra and shirt, like a nylon or something? Just wondering.

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  06:59:18 AM  Show Profile
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mothershelpinghands/mypatt.html says to use flannel.
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column7.html uses cloth diapers.
I have saved these links for my own personal time when I want to make nursing pads, but right now, I am still learning just to sew. I LOVE to collect patterns though (as you can tell). HTH! Blessings!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you can make them out of lots of things. Flannel is nice and soft, but not a barrier. You can use wool flannel or jersey, and felt it. Wool can absorb about 1/2 it's weight in moisture without feeling wet. You can use PUL (polyurethane laminate) for the outer layer. You will absolutely not leak that way. Some people like to use a wick-away type of fabric next to the nipple also, for comfort. My nursing pads are two layers of terry (on the side away from my skin) and a layer of wick away fabric. Very comfortable, and not too thick.

Annie

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I used old diaper pieces and sewed them together. They aren't completely waterproof but they absorb like crazy. If you have a worn out windbreaker jacket, you could make an outer waterproof layer with pieces of that.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  05:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone

I think I know how to handle it now. The most sewing I've done is buttons on shirts by hand. Sometimes I hem pants too but you wouldn't want to look too closely at it! I want to get a machine but there's no room to put it.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does Anyone Know.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page