texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Ok.. I am new to making bread from scratch. After searching through many recipes, I settled on a honey wheat one. Made it twice. What causes a bread not to rise much? I made the recipe verbatom, twice. I put in the proper yeast, and let it rise for one hour like the recipe says. Looks good at that point. Then it says punch it down and put in two loaf pans and let rise another hour. The bread is good, but very dense and doesn't look like it doubles. Should I try to just bake it after the first rising, in one big loaf? Could it just be that that is how the recipe is or am I doing something wrong? Anyone have a simple wheat recipe for a beginner?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  06:45:00 AM  Show Profile
You have to let it raise twice...What is the ratio of white to wheat flour you are using? Sometimes if you suplement some of the white for wheat it may help. Possibly too much flour entirely.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  06:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it may have to rise longer than the hour-it depends on how warm your area is?!? If your kitchen is cool it will take longer. Whole wheat is more dense than white flour & so it won't be like "Wonder" bread. I will check at home & find you a good wheat recipe-I have one that I use to sell & everyone loved it. You also have to make sure that you don't kill the yeast with water that is too hot. It doesn't sound like this is what happened but that will also keep it from rising.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Another hint. Try adding Wheat Gluten as directed on the package. I find Wheat Gluten at the health food store and am sure you can find it on line somewhere. It is supposed to make your whole wheat bread lighter and also add to the shelf life.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! Karla, I would love that recipe, thanks!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:16:58 AM  Show Profile
There are alot of factors to consder here. First off start with the easy ones, how old is your yeast? Was the room warm enough and did you cover the bowl with a towel or lid? Was your liquid that you added the right temp? If you are using all whole wheat flour then you must create enough gluten by kneading your dough for at least 20 minutes. I have a great recipe for all whole wheat bread if that is what you are looking for just let me know.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Vital Wheat Gluten is available at most health food stores and so is Dough Enhancer (I always use it with any recipe I use with whole wheat flour or low/no gluten flours. Good luck!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  3:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Commercial yeast expires, I buy by the pound and freeze the excess but only for a year, if any is left it gets tossed. It's cheaper that way than buying little packets at least for me. Too old and it just don't work well enough because there aren't as many live cells in there. Also, a recipe that gives times instead of volume isn't giving good advice. Usually you want the dough to double in bulk, and how long that takes depends on a lot of things. Better flavor is gotten from the grain if it is done slower at lower temps, but too low or slow and the yeast will start dying. I go by volume, and the feel of the dough more than times. Also, the whole punching down is not really the best thing, as it can release too much of the precious air you are trying to get in the dough! Instead, gently fold the dough a couple times to release the excess and redistribute new food to the yeast cells. Punching is dramatic and you can get away with it when using commercial yeast often, but it is really hard on the poor dough. Like folk mentioned, gluten can help with whole wheat but I am a purist and hate using it, feels like I am cheating lol. You *can* get airy bread with whole wheat but there's a much bigger learning curve and you have to throw away some bread myths to get it.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  3:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, my kitchen does stay pretty cold and drafty until Summer. Second, I followed the recipe, with time instead of volume. My yeast is good and new. I think I need a new recipe???

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile
You may be "punching" your dough too much. When I "punch" mine down to make the loaves, I work it as little as possible. I try to leave as much loft in the dough as I can, just popping the large bubbles that can leave holes in the bread. I gently fold the sides of the dough in from the edge of the bowl to deflate it a bit and then dump it out on a lightly greased board, divide in half and then form each half into a loaf. Just the action of forming the loaf will generally break any too big bubbles in the dough. You might try heating your oven a little and then shutting it off just to give yourself a warm, draft free place to finish raising the bread. The temp. of the room makes a big difference in how quickly things rise. I hope that helps. I agree with commercial yeast vs. the foil packet. I use Redstar which is fruit based and it keeps in the fridge for over a year with no problems.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  4:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - I have a really cold and drafty kitchen too and have been unable to get bread to rise on the counter. I have to turn my oven on to warm, then turn it off for 10 minutes, then let the bread rise in the oven. Also there are a few companies that make bread flour, like King Arthur and Giusto's that has a higher gluten content, could be an alternative to adding gluten.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  5:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely try the oven tip. That makes scense. My kitchen is very cold. If anyone has a good, simple recipe I would love to try a new one!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  6:12:05 PM  Show Profile
I just noticed your sig line....sweetie, if you can make jam, you can make bread!! No specific recipe comes to mind right now; most of the bread I have been baking lately I have been using wild yeast and not commercial, and I think you might want to start with the commercial first as it will most likely be easier. Do you have easy access to a good library? One of the best books using commercial yeast is James Beard's "Beard On Bread", a real oldie but goodie from the 70's. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to start making bread from scratch for the first time. My dad amazed us all throughout my childhood with this book alone, and he made his first loaf from the book as well. I also love Peter Reinhart and his bread books, but I think they may be intimidating at first. Fun and inspiring to read through, though!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  7:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Do you proof your yeast first?

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  7:28:07 PM  Show Profile
What is proofing the yeast?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  8:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Proofing your yeast first makes sure that the yeast is live and active. If you have a good quality yeast though and it is new I really don't think you'd need to proof.
I use Saf yeast and have found it the best. It's sold on Amazon.com.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:30:48 PM  Show Profile
I had a similar issue with my bagels and I found that I wasn't kneeding it as much as it needed

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile
I didn't forget! Here is the bread recipe.
2 pkgs dry yeast 1/2 c hney
4 cup warm water 2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter 6 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c molasses 4 c white flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Combine butter, molasses, honey & salt.
Mix well.
Add yeast mixture.
Gradually add flours.
Turn onto floured surface & knead til smooth.
Place in greased bowl & let rise til double.
Punch down.
Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
Shape into 4 loves.
Place in greased bread pans.
Let rise 1 hour.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
Cool in pn for 10 minutes & then on rack.

Good luck! My customers love this!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, thank you Karla! I will try that this weekend.
:)
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

CherryLimeade
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Candy
Lewisville TX
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  11:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to pop in and say Thank You! for the tips on what punching down really is! I ran across this as I had a batch pf dough on its first rising and I used your tips for punching down.

Best bread I ever baked. Light and fluffy and WAY better than store bought!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Grace & Peace,
CL
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  10:42:39 AM  Show Profile
I've found that using the bread machine, quick rising yeast seems to work better for me. I also add one teaspoon of vital wheat gluten for every cup of flour, and let it rise in the oven with just the oven light on. The oven light provides enough warmth to get a good rise without heating the oven too much. Sometimes you need a little more water than the recipe calls for too; a moister dough rises a little better. It seems only one hour is a little short too. Maybe try letting it rise a little longer. It's really all experimentation to figure out what works best. A really neat book my mother-in-law discovered is called "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day"- It's a wonderful book filled with all kinds of interesting recipes and tips.
Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile
I didn't get a chance to get molasses at the store yet, so I couldn't try Karla's recipe yet, but will soon. So I decided to make my "old" recipe one more time, and use the tips from my fellow sisterhood sisters. Well, girls, thank you sooo much. My bread turned out wonderful! I put the bread in my warm oven to rise it, made sure my milk wasn't too hot, and didn't beat the dough too much. Success! Thanks girls! I can't wait to try the other recipe, too.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  6:50:30 PM  Show Profile
This thread has helped me too! I literally would PUNCH my dough down into a flattened mass on the board! Oops! I will try again tomorrow! :)

Nicole, I also wanted to mention that I have yet to make the strawberry jam recipe you were so kind to send me.. I have not been able to find the pink box of pectin. Yellow and liquid. That's all! I have not stopped looking, and will continue to do so until I find it! :)

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  02:14:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Teresa,
It's usually right next to the yellow box. Do you have a Big Y there? They have it. Let me know if you still can't find it. You can use the yellow, but will have to increase the sugar.

Take care,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  09:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Make sure your yeast is good. Also don't cover the loaves on the second rise. You can try setting them near a stove where water or soup is simmering.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Karla-I tried your wheat bread recipe last weekend and it is just delicious!! Thank you for sharing it:)
Smiles,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page