Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pregnancy at 40 and over!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pregnancy at 40 and over!? Next Topic
Page: of 2

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Alrighty ladies, I just found out I'm pregnant with my 3rd! SURPRISE!! Not planned but not completely unplanned either. I'm 40 my husband is 42..I'll be 41 when baby is born. I'm still pretty early (9 weeks today) and doing well..saw "lima bean" baby's heartbeat yesterday with an early ultrasound..what a relief! I've been feeling mighty icky lately...VERY sick to my stomach but no vomitting....very fatigued...I think I have a spring cold on top of it all.. I rest whenever I can..I'm in bed with my kids usually by 730pm or 8 pm, which means I'm getting a good 8 - 10 hours every night! But, generally feel pretty blah...nothing sounds good to eat, nor does anything taste very good either. This is all very new to me.. My 2 other pregnancies were very mild in comparison. I do have to admit that I ate a small slice of homemade chocolate cake this morning and I can not tell you how good that made me feel...seriously..crackers just end up a dry ball in the back of my throat but this silky cake did the trick!So, any advice out there? Any things to watch out for? I could use a little encouragement that having babies after 40 is A ok!! I started late having babies in the first place. My son was born when I was 36, daughter at 38....I think I need a little cheering section!!
Many warm smiles to you, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! I have known several women who had children into their 40's and everything has turned out just fine for them. They complained that they were more tired than with previous pregnancies, but otherwise, things were really good, just fine and they have wonderful kids to show for it. I wish I had more detail for you or more personal experience, but just wanted to encourage you. Those first couple of months are always tough!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Julia! My first little word of advice is GO AHEAD AND EAT THE CAKE!!! I'm expecting in July, myself, and am not exactly a spring chicken - will be almost 35 by then - and, for your cheering section, I really think that, for me, it was the right thing to wait until later in life for babies - I have more patience and time, but one definite downside is that I have less energy.

My husbands mum was 42 when he was born - the last of ten children - and all was definitely well. Sending huge good wishes and hugs!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
WOW congrats!!! I think its just great and you will be an amazing "older mom"...like me!!! I had my last at 37. I did feel much more tired and worn out all the time. But it was so worth it!!! Keep us posted as to how you are feeling. Peppermint ice cream might just be a winner too! Peppermint is good for tummy trouble...and well ice cream is just good.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

truebluecountrygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
Milton Freewater Oregon
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Julia -
Congratulations on your wonderful news! If you need encouragement - I had my first child one month shy of my 40th, and my second - like yours, not planned but not unplanned either - 3 years later. Both are disgustingly healthy (they are 3 and 7 now). I was concerned throughout the pregnancies because I'm quite overweight, but had a pretty uneventful time of it. No problems, no morning sickness, quick and easy birth - I ALMOST felt guilty about it when compared to my sister and SIL who had the whole 9 yards and did it earlier in life! I've heard that "everything up to age 40 is just practice" anyway, so apparently there's something to it, LOL! You'll be in my prayers, and those of lots of others here, I'm sure.
(And heck, keep eating chocolate cake if it helps!!)
Best wishes,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Julia,

Congratulations. I think it's true that you will have a little less energy than you did at 36, but you will do great. I say chocolate cake with peppermint ice cream! We're all here for ya.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I have no energy usually and I'm 29. Of course I am taking care of 3 of my own children and a 15 year old niece.

I get those colds too while pregnant. Are you sleeping well at night (as in breathing okay)? You may ask your physician for something that helps with the congestion so that you get better rest at night.

As for food issues, don't ask me....I eat like a trucker during pregnancy.

This time (my 4th pregnancy) my midwife offered me the prenatal vitamin with the stool softener--I know exciting isn't it? But, you know what, I'm glad that she did--digestion is real slow this time. I don't know if you have that problem or not, usually anything with iron in it causes me to have the opposite problem, but I know that some women (me this time around included) get constipated from the iron in their prenatal.

Cheers & congrats!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  3:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Julia
Wow, what great news, a BABY, yea tired , don't feel so good, in my early 20s same thing, not sure if that changes. but the end result, those chubby little legs and that round little tummy, no I'am not talking about you, that baby after a few months with us. Try and keep in mind that the 9 months of not feeling that great will pass, and then you can post pictures of that cute new little bundle. And if you crave somthing, eat it, nature will tell you what you want. I eat ice like crazy, turned out I was low on Iron. As I'am sure you know, that tired part will go away soon, but still get as much rest as you can. Being 40 now is like being 25 years ago, you can do this, it seems to be more the norm now. We are all cheering for you!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile
NO I'am not in my early 20's anymore, I have 5 grandchildren, just wanted to add that. But remember well those days and not feeling so good. Of course maybe things haven't changed all that much, I still have days when I don't feel so good, maybe women were meant to only feel really good every few days, well whatever the case, we know we can do it. So julia we are counting on you to prove that women at 40 can do this.
NANCY JO again
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Babies are always blessings...

I remember commenting to my obstetrician about all of the throwing up I had been doing. He told me that he never worried about the women who threw up or felt alot of nausea. Because that was an indication that there were enough of the "right" hormones to sustain the pregnancy. He said, it was the women who felt great all the time, he actually worried about.

So.... Consider feeling icky a "good sign"..

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Julia -- YOU GO GIRL!!! I was 41 when I got pregnant with my 2nd (my daughters are 24 years apart!). She was a total surprise as the doctors had told me for years that I wouldn't have any more babies. But God had other plans! I was 42 when she born. The docs were all in an uproar because when you're over 40 they consider it a "high risk" pregnancy. I had a very good doctor that kept a close eye on everything. But I had a better pregnancy in my 40's than I did when I had my first one! Not one bit of morning sickness, just a little queasy stomach until after my third month. I just ate several small meals during the day and that helped. The last month of my pregnancy I had to go for ultrasounds every week and had to be on the fetal monitor but it was just a precaution. Everything was fine. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! Us "old moms" can visit at Farm Fair!!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Kate Talley
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
27 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  5:37:25 PM  Show Profile
I love love love to talk babies! What a blessing for you! Try to take care of yourself, hard I know with a family..but you are just fine to go to bed at 7, eat what sounds good, drink lots and lots of water.
It seems like a long time, but it will be over soon and you will have that little babe to hold and love. Nothing smells better than a baby's downy soft head. And tiny baby toes!
Good luck,
Mama Kate

Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Julia,

I am in the same boat, sort of. I am having my first baby at 37 this July. I had to wait to find the right guy!!! I had read all these horror stories about how after 35 getting pregnant would be SO HARD! Well didn't happen that way! I feel great and I'm sure you'll come through this with flying colors. You are an inspiration because I have been debating if I want to have more because I would be "so old"! I'll be keeping an eye on how you do. There's a lot of preggers on this forum right now, we can root for each other.
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations!!! My Mom was 40 when she found out she was pregnant with me and she turned 41 just 3 days after I was born. I think I turned out ok, healthy and was an A student in school. There weren't that many older Moms 30-some years ago, so she felt a little out of place at first. Now she would have a lot of company. I remember reading somewhere that the odds of getting pregnant with your own egg and not taking any fertility treatments are something like 1 in 500,000 when you are over 40. I'm always telling my Mom she should play the lottery.
Good luck & keep us all posted as to how you're doing.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Julia!!!
Hey, one of my best friends just had her 12th (yep!!) at 45!! And her sis in law had a baby the year before at just a couple weeks shy of 48!!!!
I had my two homemade boys when I was very young..but I have figured it out..I would have been 39 when my youngest was born..and I don't feel like an old mom. (even though I am a grandma too) YOu will do great!! We will all be your cheering section for sure!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU all so very much!! You have really helped me re-focus my energy on baby versus blah feeling! I am actually having a great morning so far.. Was able to eat well yesterday and this morning and my cold seems to be taking a back burner, which is a huge relief. I really appreciate all the encouragement. My nurse-practitioner said that I face no more risk having a third at 40 than I did having my first at 36 and second at 38..that feels really good too. I swear, if I pay too much attention to all the statistics I'd convince myself that no one can have a baby without some kind of horrific anomoly, instead of just the opposite..most people have perfectly healthy babies and deliveries most of the time...
JulieKay, congratulations to you too!! My son was born on July 12th.. Are you planning on doing a body cast?? I've done one for each of my children and will do one for this one too.. I my casts hanging in my sewing room. They are a delight to look at and remember.Thanks again ladies, this was an excellent way to begin my morning..
much love and tenderness, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:33:43 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any advice for you just wanted to say congratulations!!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Juliekay

Julia,

I am in the same boat, sort of. I am having my first baby at 37 this July. I had to wait to find the right guy!!! I had read all these horror stories about how after 35 getting pregnant would be SO HARD! Well didn't happen that way! I feel great and I'm sure you'll come through this with flying colors. You are an inspiration because I have been debating if I want to have more because I would be "so old"! I'll be keeping an eye on how you do. There's a lot of preggers on this forum right now, we can root for each other.

Julie, I didn't know you were expecting!! That is so cool. We definitely need to get together in Shawnee @ Van's Pig Stand! My due date is the 12th of July. When is yours?

Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! I had my last at 42! Everything went fine.I did get high blood pressure and the doc put me on bed rest,but I snuck out into the garden and when hubby read my b.p. there it was normal.I just had to keep my hands in the dirt! Dan only weighed in at 5 lbs.but he gained weight fast.The others were only 6 lbs anyway. I did sleep lots tho.Can't remember having anything taste yucky,except coffee.But that was only for a couple of months. All the kids were in the delivery room.I figured with the 10 yr.old it might be good birth\sex control issues in later years! The kids did great tho,I had an awesome doc too. My sister'caught' Dan and gave him to me! Just having to remind friends of older kids,can't always do stuff at spur of the moment.Gotta get a sitter or farm him out to friends! The older kids ALWAYS have SOMETHING to do! Did gain LOTS of weight!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  4:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca,

My due date is July 5th. I am going out of town for a week, I just took my email off because of spam. I thought my email was listed when you click on my name or profile but I'm not sure. Let me look into how to do this. Or we could just set up a time when I get back to meet at Van's. I try to be really good and eat mostly veggies, whole grains etc, but sometimes I just want a big ole hunk o meat!!! I'm sure Vans can fulfill that craving.

Julie

Edited by - Juliekay on May 04 2006 05:04:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  8:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting for you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. After reading the other posts on this topic, I think it's wonderful that so many farmgirls are expecting new little farmbabies. I am so happy for all of you.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com WEBSITE http://alittlepartasparta.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  06:52:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Juliekay

Rebecca,
I try to be really good and eat mostly veggies, whole grains etc, but sometimes I just want a big ole hunk o meat!!! I'm sure Vans can fulfill that craving. Julie

How many children do you have? This is my 4th pregnancy, let's just say I eat whatever won't eat me first and I'm waaaay more relaxed about it. I'm actually burned out on barbeque now. For my 2nd trimest it was the thing I most craved. I don't crave anything now. I just have a normal appetite.

So, you have about 9 weeks to go. Things have gone well for you so far?

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile
There isn't one shred of medical eveidence that pregnancy and birth over 40 is more difficult or compromising for mother or baby. Get lots of fresh air and keep a happy mind. Eat cake and love your family. There's nothing like a dose of happiness to get rid of nonsensical worries or doubts! Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  3:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all so much to you ladies! I've been dealing with a lot of the "When are you having babies?" questions because gosh, I'll be 30 in a couple weeks and I must be an old lady now. What a hoot! You've all just given me a lot of confidence and inspiration. I have plenty of productive years ahead of me and can tell all the nosy nobody's that I'm not running of time to have kids, despite what they say.

:-)

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  5:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Alison -- you tell those nosy people that you'll be having babies when you feel the time is right for you!!! Don't let age have anything to do with it. Kids really tie you down so take time while you're young to have lots of fun!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  09:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies, just wanted to give you a wee update from this expecting 40 year old. Am fast approaching 10wks..still feeling completely run down by the end of the day. Am trying not to get too discouraged that I can't accomplish outside what I had wanted/intended to..am trying to lighten up about that.. Don't have much of an appetite yet..still feeling blah in the tummy most of the time but completely manageable. I'm able to eat one good meal a day but that's about it..a few small healthy snacks here and there but nothing too major.. I'm getting recipes for smoothies because those sound soooooo yummy! I'm hoping the next few weeks will see the yuckos subside and some nice energy come on back. My husband says pregnancy suits me..that's about the sweetest thing to say...Still trying to wrap my head around the idea of another baby in the house....I'm starting to get some pretty cool images..its such a great feeling!! I know I needn't get down on myself for not accomplishing more...it isn't an expectation thing so much as a derailment of the mind: I wasn't expecting to be working this Spring-Summer-Fall pregnant and that has completely changed my plans..just trying to adjust is all..some days are better than others!!!
cheers!! Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pregnancy at 40 and over!? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page