JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile
well girls, i got the comfy drawer figured out, and now i am into the same thing with shoes! how many of u have earth shoes? they are soooo comfy i got two pair so far, and i plan on having more, i find them very comfy and affordable actually. in the states too! i bet they are even a better price then here in canada! weather is still chilly here, but not as bad as it was, cloudy today though, need some sun. gardening will soon be here, got it all tilled up, just need to make rows now! lol! work ahead love from jo~

love is all you need

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  12:37:47 PM  Show Profile
I wear Dansko Clogs. I have "dress-up" clogs and clogs for gardening and just kicking around. I had foot surgery several years ago and the doc gave me a choice between these and Birkies. Since I wear a size 5, birkies look really dopey on me.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Here's another vote for Dansko clogs/shoes. I absolutely LOVE them - they have to be the stapled clog versions, however, because for some reason that footbed feels like it was just made for my feet. I even wear some patent leather ones for some dressy things...

My other favorites in summer are Chaco sandals - they actually stay ON, and as a major plus around the farm, you can just stick your feet under the hose at the end of the day and rinse everything off. Voila! Clean shoes for tomorrow!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Earth Shoes are pretty reasonable in the US, they sell them at Wal-Mart.

My favorite shoes are flip-flops. I have a pair I bought for under $2 at Wal-Mart about 4 years ago, and I wear them more than my "new" ones! (Though I tried on some Hanes sandals yesterday and would've bought them if they had the right color, they were like walking on a sponge!!!)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile
My comfy shoes are Ariats. Ariat paddock boots, Ariat work boots, tall field boots, rubber muck boots, sandals, ride and tie shoes, in all sorts of colors and styles. I can't get enough of them. They're the most comfortable and well made shoe I've ever had. This company was started by people who ride and worked in the athletic shoe business. They realized there were no high quality high comfort shoes out there, so they applied their athletic shoe technology to the riding boot business. The rest is history. They have awesome gel insoles and steel forks inside. Ahhhh, I can wear them all day and never have a sign of fatigue.
Go to Top of Page

Kate Talley
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
27 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I am with Libby, the Chacos are my favorite summer time shoes, I like the Birks, and my new love in the comfortable shoe department is Crocs. I love these for in the house. We have wood floors and I wish my floors were clean enough to eat on, but sadly, no. I hate going barefoot and having dust and yuck on my feet, so the Crocs are great! They are super light, and like the Chacos you can clean them with the hose!
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  5:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies, but I guess I'm just a punk at heart cuz my favourite shoes are my Doc Martens boots. And I bought them second hand about 10 years ago, and they are still going strong! Well, the soles are quite a bit worn down, but MAN! for comfort, they kick-a$$! They've got me through university, 3 field courses, and all of my field collecting. And with a bit of spit and polish, they sure clean up nice. :) -Cat
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  6:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Born and Teavo are my vote! But I prefer to be barefoot as much as possible. I realized this weekend though that it is not too smart to wear Teavo's while working around the property - stepped right into a pile of fire ants while hooking up a wagon to our lawn tractor and didn't notice until I was covered with them! Embarassing thing is that I was just telling my DH earlier that the kids would learn not to wear their sandals around the property! Well I was screamin' for my DH, he ran up, saw the ants and said "well, have you learned not to wear your sandals?".

Hell no, I said. I just learned to watch where I am stepping!

BTW-Chiggerex is a god send for fire ant bites - knocks the pain pronto!
Go to Top of Page

Northerngal
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Gale
Iowa
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Clarks are my favorite. I have three pairs of their clogs. Two pair in different shades of brown to match all my brown clothes and one pair of navy blue. They are dressy enough for me to wear to the office and yet comfortable like a favorite pair of sneakers. My feet always feel good wearing them. They last a long time too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  8:24:41 PM  Show Profile
I love my old ratty birks...need a new pair badly. I wear my old birk garden shoes outside alot..but have to wear socks with them..or they make BBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDD sounds. I wear my nikes (white with red and black trim) all the time...my feet feel good in them year round. I get the same ones every time the old ones get too rotten to wear to town. I wear socks in the house most times.. I am clumsy and step on stuff when I go barefoot so I don't do that as much as I used to. I am sure glad we dont' have fireants here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  9:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am a shoe feend i love shoes and i have almost all the shoes mentioned above. I love love love my old danskos that i have had for 8 years and just thrashe the you know what out of. i wore them for everything. they are now very very very worn looking but still o so comfy. i have bad ankles though and i have had them for so long that they are streched out and i slid around in them then slid right off the top of the soles. not good on the old ankle. but i still wear them sometimes. I also have a pair of ariat riding boots that i love so very comfy. then a pair or Teva sandles that i love for summer and thet are the only thing i can hike in because of flat as a pancake feet. my newest favorites are birkies they are the clog type and as my other half say they lok very hippie (he calls me his little hippie) but they are so comfy and i can slip they on and off during the day when my feet get to hot at work. I love all shoes though unless they have a built in arch. I can't wear anything with a built in arch that wont flatten out with wear.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  10:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Birkenstocks all the way for me. I have the plastic Birki clogs for the garden (Jenny, we call it having foot-farts), Birki clogs for winter (along with wearing fleece socks and Birki sandals)and quite a few various sandals for the rest of the time. I even have black patent Birkis for "dress-up". I usually get them on QVC.com for the best prices. Two years ago I fell in love with a pair of turquoise Dansko clogs. My brother-in-law was going to get them for me for CHristmas, but we could not find my size anywhere :( so I stick to the Birks...I used to have plantar facilitis (sp??), but the Birkis took care of it!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  04:17:16 AM  Show Profile
I wear my garden clogs almsot all the time.(sloggers from Target) I am interested in trying the "Crocs" clogs. They are rubber but breatheable and I tried a friends on and they are so comfy. Anyone tried them?

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  06:08:23 AM  Show Profile
I have several pairs of the earth shoe sandles-I stock up on them for future use, so when I wear out the ones I currently use then I'll have new looking shoes. I often wear the sandles in water when we're boating.
Recently I splurged on a pair of Crocs. Love them too. They're great for around the house and in it (tiled floors). I wear them working in the yard and lately while we've been painting the outside of the house. If I get any paint on them, I just wash it off plus they give me good traction.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  07:55:34 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have advice on comfy "dress" shoes? I usually dress up for work and my feet are killing me~! I cant get by with clogs~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:22:31 AM  Show Profile
Well unless you mean heels for dress, if not, then I like HUSH PUPPIES, they have some real cute dress shoes, and I like dexter. I get most of my shoes from ZAPPOES online, they have just about every kind of shoe there is, free shipping, free return, and usually come in about 3 0r 4 days.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  10:36:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thehouseminder

I wear Dansko Clogs. I have "dress-up" clogs and clogs for gardening and just kicking around. I had foot surgery several years ago and the doc gave me a choice between these and Birkies. Since I wear a size 5, birkies look really dopey on me.

Lucinda

I cannot imagine size 5 feet looking dorky in anything! Try size 9 feet and EVERYTHING looks dopey (like clown shoes)!

I never can find Earth shoes in my size. Not that I have been looking all that hard, but when I come accross them in the store they only have 8s or whatever.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca
I just checked out ZAPPOS ONLINE SHOE STORE AND THEY HAVE LOTS OF EARTH SHOES AND YOUR SIZE. They also have free shipping. I buy shoes from them all the time.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile
I need to find the birky soft garden shoes.I also need to have surgery for my bunions,all shoes are too narrow or too hard and don't stretch.I do like my chakos(sp)., but only in the summer! And I cannot wear them around the horses.Thats a big no,no.Don't want to learn by having a1000 lb. animal step on your tootsies! Did the surgery help? I also wear a 91\2. I used to wear size 8,but everytime I had a kid my feet grew! Will look at these other makes too.
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  3:34:43 PM  Show Profile
I find that Teva sandals are as darn comfy as they come. You can walk straight into the lake with them, and they dry in no time. I wear them so much I always end up with a "Teva Tan" on my feet by the enf of summer!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Gale- it's Clark's for me. I have a pair of clogs for winter and open-toe slides for summer that feel like heaven on my feet. Rebecca- I must be in the same boat you are- size 9's!( No pun intended!!)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Well I have been having foot problems and since I walk all day on the job(nurse) the physical therapist gave me some specific shoe names to wear. You'll be glad to see most have been listed here. He told me to get running ,not walking shoes,for work since there is more support. The brands he suggested were New Balance, Asics and Saucony. For casual he suggested Merrill, Crocs and Born. Payless has croc spin offs in neat colors for 14.99. I don't have these but thought they would be great outdoor shoes. A few friends wear them to work in and love them. Mine will have my pink and purple custom orthotics in them, but I'm gonna give them a try. This is what happens , I guess, when you get old. Atleast if I have to have orthotics they will be festive!
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  11:12:48 AM  Show Profile
I like Tevas too. This was a helpful topic, I am down to one pair of sandals and a worn out pair of sneakers for the summer, need to replenish my shoe supply, lots of great suggestions here.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Hauptweibchen
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile
I try to stick to my boots around the farm year round. I'm afraid of picking up parasites through my feet. I don't know if it's true, but a friend of mine told me if you get a wriggly tickely feeling on your feet, thats a worm boring into the skin. ew
I love my boots with the lambskin inserts. Don't need to put on socks when I run out. I have a bad habbit of going barefoot in the house.
I like NewBalance shoes for comfort too. I only buy them at a steep discount from my Uncle who works at the factory in Maine. lol
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Well after reading this forum,I ordered the birkie garden clogs,but with my bunion they just hurt! I put two layers of moleskin on it though and that seems to help.I got lots of comments downtown cause the color is bright yellow. I was told 2 people have those brightly colored boots too.It's a new fashion trend! Where do I look for crocs? Has anyone had foot surgery? Any advice?
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  11:29:32 AM  Show Profile
I just ordered a pair of NAOT clogs. They have a removable footbed so when it wears out I can order another one and have my shoes last a little longer. They seem really comfy. I can't wait for them to get here.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic NOW! LETS LOOK AT COMFY SHOES? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page