Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Its a good day - Winners on page one !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Its a good day - Winners on page one !! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grammygail
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Gail
Chattanooga Tennessee
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh these childhood memories!! Happy Birthday and Happy 500!!!!My Mamaw lived next door so we were blessed with her little extra goodies throughout the day. My favorites, Chicken N Dumplins, and fried pies. When I was small I loved watching her make them and she would let me cut the dumplins in strips and use an old crisco can to cut the dough for the fried pies. Even though it seems like yesterday, that was a long time ago. I now let my grandchildren help and have taught my "eager to learn" niece how to do both. She has master them both quite well!! Thanks for a chance to "cook up" some happy memories!

Farmgirl #61
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  5:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday to you!
My disaster memory was when my dh and I first got married. In fact it may have been the first meal. Now I am not much of a cook and didn't really know how back then. I whipped up this Texas Hash and thought I did a pretty good job. It was an easy stove top recipe and I was just so happy I didn't burn it. Well when we sat down to eat it my husband dug in and I had left the table to do something in the kitchen. When I came back he had picked up the skillet and dumped the contents in the trash. I was mortified to say the least and couldn't believe that I didn't even get to taste it myself. I was very upset with him and it never happened again. He ate whatever I made no matter how bad. For 20 some years he has eaten macaroni and cheese. I never found out until recently that he doesn't like mac and cheese. But after that first experience he probably figured he had better not mention it. LOL!
Thanks for the opportunity to share some memories!
Denise

God is good....all the time.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile
amy
i bittersweet memory was one night i was doing my first dinner party
i was so excited everything was perfect i pulled the roast from the oven
set it on a beautiful crytall platter with all the roasted veggies ....
i was carrying it to the table and preening abit and nervous
when the platter just shattered in a million pieces. and the roast hit the floor and slid
under the table .. my dog seized the opportunity and ran off with the roast
i could have cried ..everyone gasped but i just started laughing as i chase after the dog
and retreived the meat (i was afraid there might be glass in it) i returned to the table
and said anyone have room for dessert?? with that everyone starting laugh and telling stories about their kitchen disasters..the night turn out to be the best dinnerless party ever....
bless the cook deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:26:36 PM  Show Profile
amy
p.s. congrats on the 500th and happy birthday

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:13:18 PM  Show Profile
My memory is baking with my grandmother. She would send us Christmas cookies in a shoe box, wrapped in wax paper, and not a one broken. How she was able to do that I don't know. But she always let me help make sugar cookies with the different cookie shapes and then we would have a cup of tea with them when they came out. I still can't make sugar cookies like she could, but I have fond memories of tea and warm cookies and great conversation with her.

blessings and hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  08:20:22 AM  Show Profile
My favorite memoy is teaching my daughte to cook! She is in her apron & covered in flour! It is one of my favorite pictures of her! She still bakes cookies & cooks to this day!. I don't think she wears as much flour as she used to though.!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Mine was this last fall. I found a recipe for Autumn Pudding that sounded good although the ingredients seemed a little weird. A friend of mine looked at it and said it was something like what her ex-husband made and would be good, she thought. We decided one cold, rainy day to make it and she was constantly telling me how "Ed did this" and "Ed did that" which annoyed the crap out of me. I kept right on following the recipe and hoping it turned out okay. In spite of her complaining the whole time, it turned out "just like Ed's". My DH doesn't care much for it, but I think I will be making more. Here's the deal - I was raised on TV dinners and quick foods. I'm just now coming into home cooking, etc., and I'm in my mid-50's. Never too late!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your 500th post Amy and I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!

Hmmm, a favorite cooking memory. That's a hard one because I love to cook and always think about who I am cooking/baking for. I do have a funny one though :) When I was just learning to cook I thought I would use up some apples we had and make a quick bread for my parents. They were gone and I thought "This will be a nice surprise for them to come home to" (I was 11 at the time). My father had just started using Sugar Twin so I thought I would use that so he could enjoy some too. Well, reading the label it said 1 teaspoon sugar twin equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar so why wouldn't it work with any amount? Right? WRONG! It was so nasty and tasted like a mouthful of chemicals! My parents were very gracious but we did end up throwing it out :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  04:51:00 AM  Show Profile
I am **loving** reading all these cooking/baking memories!! How fun :) I'm glad everyone is playing along...Remember you have until the 27th to enter!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bjhuff
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Betty Jo
Sturgis South Dakota
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  3:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Send bjhuff an ICQ Message
Cooking/ baking memories~~~my first real cooking experiences were when I was ten and loved it is was very exciting to learn about cooking and I had a wonderful aunt who love to teach me to cook and to entertain people as well~~~ it was Thanksgiving and we were to go to there home for dinner for all of the fixings the night before I went to help her and the turkey was ready to go and she told me to clean it and make sure that there was on pin feathers on this turkey little did I know that this was there turkey from outside that chased us around and it was full of pin feathers so she told me to pick them out and I though Oh my I was there for the night anyway not better way to spend my night~~~I plucked with a strawberry plucker thing and plucked for about one hour and then it was done and she seasoned it and got it ready and placed it on the porch where it was freezing could not wait to tell my sister the next morning that we were eatting there turkey from outside~~she had me peeling potatoes early that morning and getting ready for the family to come as the time came for my family to come and I got ready to run out to tell my sister Aunt Ellen told me DONT YOU TELL HER and so I couldn't tell her and with apron on and foam curlers in my hair I greeted them at the door and asked for coat and placed on the bed in the spare room ~~~It was time to eat and the aroma of the turkey was done and ready to eat with potatoes, oyster stuffing, sweet potatoes, and of course all of the desserts too~~~we were chatting and all of a sudden my younger sister yelled at me and told me that I am not going to eat this turkey because it was TOM and I got into lots of trouble but the fun was to cook with my special Aunt Ellen and pluck all of those pin feathers . memories what a special one now that she is gone this is one that is in my heart for LIFE!!

***BettyJo****
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  9:46:30 PM  Show Profile
A cooking memory I have is when I was very young I thought I would fix Mom and Dad breakfast in bed. I had seen Mom cook and I thought I could do it myself. The pan of grease caught fire and my brother ran screaming and Daddy ran to the kitchen in his underwear to put out the fire. They let me know never to do it without them, but was very loving and understanding. I thought for sure I'd be hung by my toenails for at least a year. lol

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Anyone else want to get in on the giveaway? You still have until 7 pm central time this evening to enter. I will post the two winners shortly after that!!

I LOVE all these cooking memorieS!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Only a half hour left....anyone else???

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Sunshine Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Wendy
Chesapeake VA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile
My favorite memory is once when I baked mh DH's favorite Sour Cream Pound Cake and left it to cool on the stove. I came in to find the edges nibbled off and our fat cat sitting proudly in front of the stove. I threw him out and shaved off the affected areas and broke the sad news to my hubby. He hung his head and sheepishly confessed that HE was the "nibbler". Poor kitty. I think of that episode every time I make that cake.

"they say I've lost my mind....I think I've finally found it"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the poor kitty:) That is too funny.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  6:57:07 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations ladies!!! Thank you Amy for being so sweet

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  04:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations to the winners! Amy, what a fun contest.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  05:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Congrats ladies! Enjoy! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  11:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Laides, congratulations on your winnings! enjoy!

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  1:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! I won - how awesome! I'm so excited to get my package - thanks Amy!

~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  7:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations ladies - and thank you Amy for starting such a fun thread - I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  3:04:27 PM  Show Profile
I just received my package today!! Thank you so much, Amy! I received some really cute cookie cutters - animal shapes, a Farmhouse Cookbook and a really cool old pioneer cook book. Thanks again!! You are wonderful!! :-)

~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  3:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Glad you received it and enjoy it. Thanks again for playing along!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  9:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the delightful box of treasures. There were darling animal cookie cutters and 2 cookbooks, I have to admit I am somewhat addicted to cookbooks, not just using them but reading them straight through. The Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook of old recipes was actually published the year I graduated from high school,1967. The other one got the interest of my DH and DS too, which is a rarity. It included a calendar of religious days from 1940 to 1945 and dietary abstinance schedules for different religions. That alone was interesting but the recipes were fascinating too, whole meal menus for different months of the year! I doubt I'll ever make the Haddock Roe Croquettes, but Dutch Asparagus and a Cherry Torte will sure get a try! Thanks again for your generosity and for so much for the fun!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Glad you received them and are getting so much enjoyment from them!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Its a good day - Winners on page one !! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page