Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Its a good day - Winners on page one !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Its a good day - Winners on page one !! Next Topic
Page: of 2

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile
Well how appropriate that I would make my 500th post on my 31st birthday!! :)

Its so nice to have found a place like MaryJanesFarm to connect with other like minded women. Its been so awesome to get to know you ladies as friends, and I look forward to much more time here...and many more posts!!

I am doing a giveaway Two winners will be chosen at random and will win a lovely variety of items having to do with cooking/baking - I won't say yet what it all is, but it will be fun!

In order to enter, leave a note here on this thread telling a favorite cooking memory - it doesn't matter what it is, either a time you really impressed someone, really enjoyed what you were making...or really ended up with a disaster in the kitchen! I will draw two winners (randomly) from all entries the evening of April 27th.

Good luck ladies, and thanks for the friendship!

My boys were in charge of choosing the magic numbers for the winners, so Colton chose post #9 which is cindylou and Simon chose post #20 which is Cgonyer. Congrats ladies! If you can email me your mailing addresses, I will get these fantastic cooking/baking related packages out to you. Hope you enjoy them!!

Thanks everyone for playing. We had a GREAT time reading about all your cooking memories!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

Edited by - farmmilkmama on Apr 27 2010 6:06:51 PM

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:31:04 AM  Show Profile
... the best memory that I have about cooking was when I was about 12 years old. Grandma (now 91 years young!) taught me her recipe for that homemade Italian sauce! She is Italian and I keep her recipe in my heart along with my mind. Just about every week, we make that BIG pot of that special sauce! I am spoiled by that recipe that I am very picky about restaurants' sauces. I can tell if they used can sauce.. or it just isn't correct to Grandma's recipe. It is just wrong... for me, to have any green peppers in the sauce. It really changes the taste. To this day, I still keep all the necessary spices and secret stuff in my cupboard! I always treasure those memories.. and that sauce!!!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I would have to say that my favorite memory is coming home from being out of town having left my hubby with our kiddos to fend for themselves. At that time he wasn't the cook he is now. My daughter was probably about 5th or 6th grade, our son is a couple years younger.
DH had cooked their supper on the BBQ grill . . .decided to make cookies and cooked them on the BBQ grill. I came home just in time for "barbequed cookies" . . .burnt on the bottom!!!
What a laugh we had!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Apr 20 2010 09:32:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:52:02 AM  Show Profile
LOL I still remember mom making us a cauliflower dish when I was a small kid, eons ago. Mom was always a good cook (not perfect but good). We kids all love(d) cauliflower so were excited when it beame cheap enough for mom to buy it (we were on a very tight budget even then). SO one day I came home from school, brother came from work and we both smelled mom cooking us cauliflower with a meatball and baked potatoes (our fave combo :) )
We all sat down in the livingroom, while the dinner simmered on the stove. We talked and talked about our days, and suddenly brother said: MOM something is burning!!!! Mom JUMPED up, RAN to the kitchen and yikes!! The cauliflower was burned to a brown pulp, the potatoes too. Just the meatball was saved...because mom had forgotton to turn on the gas for that duh! SO our "lovely" dinner that night consisted of a meatball with applesauce lol. Good and nice enough but NOT our fave cauliflower ;(
Still years later, if ever we were to eat cauliflower etc. my brother (later me)teased mom with, "mom I smell something" and she would STILL jump and run to the kitchen hahaha. POOR mom, we never let her forget hehe

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  09:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Amy, one of my favorite memories was when I was little my whole family would gather around the pit and make sugarcane syrup. Boy the smells were wonderful and I loved being with my family. Most of my family has gone on but those memories are still here and will not be forgotten. Hope your birthday is extra special! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile
My favorite would be anything at my Grandma's. She was an awesome cook and made the world's best macaroni and cheese!!! Kind of brown on the top and cheesy with LOTS of butter

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile
My favorite cooking memory was when my husband and I were still dating and he wanted to impress me so badly. So, when I came over to visit him one day I walked into his apartment to the smell of yummy soup cooking. I was impressed! Until I went to eat the minestrone soup and realized that he didn't know the difference between zucchini and cucumbers and so we had mushy cooked cukes in our soup. Eew! LOL....I still bring it up every once in a while. He hates it when I remind him of that :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:36:12 PM  Show Profile
My best memory was this past Sunday.
My whole family was here and my son (the chef) and I spent tons of time cooking together and then we all sat down and had a wonderful meal together
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile
When my kids were little I vowed they would know how to cook so I wanted to get them started young.
My oldest, Sara, was about 3 years old and I would have her standing on a chair, dumping measured ingredients into the bowl as I made a cake. Then, trying to think of what a little one could do I thought of greasing the pan. Simple, right? Well, when I turned back to her she had it done, alright, inside and out!

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  1:58:57 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cooking memory is actually a Christmas tradition from when my daughter and her best friend Ashley were young. Every year we would make hundreds of Christmas cookies to give at gifts. I still have the red and green aprons they would wear each year on baking day. The aprons came from one of my Moms stores (the ladies who worked for her would wear them at holiday time) We would spend the day baking sheets and sheets of cookies, as I would bake the girls would fill each one of the bite size delights with different fillings. By the end of the day it looked like there had been a flour fight. The girls, with their heads of hair all in a muss would look like they had just fought a battle in a food war and lost. They would eat SO many of the cookies I would have to tell then not to eat anymore because I had them counted . I will look for a picture and post it if I can find one. I laugh every time I think of it. Now that the girls are older, Ashley (Ambers best friend) has a daughter of her own and makes the cookies with her.

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  2:18:29 PM  Show Profile
I have two...When I was younger my neighbor & I made dinner for our boyfriends. Tuna noodle casserole, unfortunally we used tuna flavored cat food. The can's are the same size.

When I was older a friend made a white russian cheese cake, she brought it to work for us and everyone came to the breakroom for some. It was awful & no one wanted to hurt Sue's feeling, but everyone stayed to watch the face of the next person who tried the cake. She used 2 cups of salt instead of 2 cups of sugar. We found cake hidden behind plants. Two weeks later she made a real good one to share but everyone took a smaller bite at first to check it out.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  2:30:23 PM  Show Profile
My favorite memory was making biscuits and gravy, all by my self when I was 7...my grandma had shown me how several times before and I surprised grandma and grandpa when they got back from doing some in town chores...to this day, I can recall the feeling of pride and shy delight at presenting my dinner...grandma helped me tidy up the kitchen which I had made a mess of and grandpa made a bit of chicken and some fixins...I just recall them praising me and being thankful that I didn't burn the house down! Heehee...after my great cooking experiment, I usually was brought along on chores and shopping

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I remember when I was first married and I fixed scallops (the WHOLE 20 0z. bag)! My sweet husband ate as many as he could and then gently said "Maybe next time we could cook just a few ". Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile
My favorite and one of the funniest involved a cake that my Aunt Clara made. Now Aunt Clara was very frugal. She saved the butter wrappers to grease pans, reused waxed paper, reused cooking oil, etc..(nothing wrong with that!) This cake she made was going to the fire house for a benefit supper. My cousin Christine came over and saw the cake and said "I'm going to take a little sliver of that cake and then slide it together and she will never know" So she did! The funniest look came over her face. She yelled "What on earth did you put in this cake? It tastes like fish!" Aunt Clara came running over and took a little slice and looked puzzled. Then she went to the cabinet and took out the cooking oil she had used. It was re-used oil that she had fried fish in instead of the new oil!!! We teased her for years about her fish cake! BTW- She took a cake out of the freezer and took it to the fire house!

Come visit me at:

http://lbpsews.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmqueen
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile
My favorite memory is of my Nana - I have the BEST Nana -- it didn't matter how busy she was when we visited or stayed with her, she always had time to help us mix up sugar cookies, cut them out and frost and decorate them - (not store bought either - the REAL sugar cookies). She is now 80 years old and I tell her every chance I get how much I loved having her for my Nana and what it meant for her to cook with us.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:45:05 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite cooking memories is when I went to South Carolina for Thanksgiving and taught my newlywed daughter how to make a turkey and all the fixins, even the pumpkin pie! It turned out well and she has been doing it on her own for the last 3 years now. I just really miss having her around for holidays.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah Amy, Happy Birthday and congratulations on the 500 posts!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Happy birthday Amy. I'll be 29 next week (for the 29th time LOL).
My favorite cooking memories are with my daughter when she was about 3 and would help me to bake cookies, a cake, or brownies. It took at least twice as much time with her help but was lots of fun. Her favorite part then was licking the bowl and boy was she cute with cake batter running down her chin, in her hair, up her arms and onto her dress. Now 25 years later she still loves to bake sweets but does not care much about fixing dinner.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

My favorite cooking memory (actually a baking memory) is when I was a kid and my older brother and I would make sugar cookie cut-outs with my mom. After they baked (about 10 dozen of them) we would make homemade buttercream frosting and then frost the cookies and then decorate them. The best part was watching "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" while we were decorating the cookies. To this day, when I see "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" on TV, I can almost smell the cookies baking. YUM! :-)
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Amy - Happy Birthday! I just celebrated the 1st anniversary of my 39th birthday a few weeks ago. :-)

~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  7:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness what great stories - what a good idea Amy!!
One of my favorite memories is when I was cooking at the church camp my dad is managing director for. I was 21, not a very experienced cook, and was going it alone for the first time - dinner for 60, a senior citizens camp. I was making potato casserole with cheese and cornflakes on top for a side dish and the recipe called for frozen potatoes. Dad told me to go ahead and use fresh, well, I didn't know that the frozen ones were partially cooked, I also didn't know that if you cut up potatoes ahead of time they turn grey. I served a lovely potato side dish with crunchy (very crunchy) grey potatoes. I also overcooked the ham, so it was dry, and peas, so they were yellow and shriveled. All the campers really, really wanted to tell me I did something right so I got lots of compliments on the cake I made from a box:) I've learned a bit since then, thank goodness!!
Hope the rest of your birthday is fabulous Amy!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I have a funny cooking memory. When I was about 13 or so I made brownies to take to a family get together. The were awful because I had mixed up the water/oil measurements. My Uncule Richard ate the brownies! He was the only one. My mother made fun of me but my uncule stood up for me.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  01:41:40 AM  Show Profile
This is a memory that my DD and I will always remember. I had a pan of eggs on the stove boiling and needed to leave the room for a few. Asked DD about 12 to keep an eye on them. Well I was alittle longer than planned but what brought me back running to the kitchen was the smell!!! They had completely boiled dry and you can only imagine how my kitchen smelled. I ask my sweet daughter why didn't you take them off the fire and set them in the sink? She said back to me, well you told me to just watch them! I learned that day to give complete discriptions of what is needed!!! But the thing is, today she can out cook me all the way around!

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  04:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Amy!

My favorite cooking memory is baking pies with my grandma. After the crusts were finished I was allowed to use the leftover dough. I would sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and then roll it up, cut it into about 2" lengths and bake it into what I always called my "caterpillars"!!!

Amazing how we remember these odd things, huh?

Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  06:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Well Happy Birthday Amy!!
I have to say I still cherish this one from when I was a teenager:
My 2 cousins came to stay with us for a year. My younger cousin was learning to cook and one of her favorite foods was grits. So my Mom let her loose in the kitchen to cook up a batch to have with dinner. She was a busy little bee. . . we could hear her opening and closing all the cabinets and the pantry door. . . a few minutes go by and she appears in the living room looking worried. My Mom asked what's wrong?
Her reply. . . "I can't find your "yields" anywhere. . " We all looked at each other, then back at her. My Mom had her read the ingredients and the last part said " and yeilds 4 cups" LOL!!! HHAHAHAHA!!!!
To this day she is still teased about that!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
One of my fave memories is of making Christmas cookies with my mom. Snow was falling gently outside and we made this huge batch of cookies after school. Money was tight at this time and we didnt have money for lots of decorations and stuff for them so we used food coloring in the dough and raisins and red hots. We even made a little red and green colored sugar. Those cookies tasted the best. I can still taste them. Nothing like a blue santa with red sugar and raisin eyes. My mom passed away a few years later so I cant repeat that memory with her and my little one, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I need to get out her recipe and make some with Nigel!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Its a good day - Winners on page one !! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page