Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How many farmgirls live in log cabins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How many farmgirls live in log cabins Next Topic
Page: of 2

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile
I live in a 1840's cabin.

C

I will work harder!

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile
How cool. I live in a house that is a combination of logs and framing. We started out here, cutting and peeling the logs off this land and building the original part of the house plus we tore down an old barn and used part of the huge framing lumber from the barn. That was thirty years ago. Since then we have added two additions front and back as we needed more space. I still have my rustic log walls in the original part of the house and wouldn't cover them up with sheetrock for anything.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile
That sounds darling, Im with you on the covering up part. Someone before me had made additions as well one in the early 1900's, one in the 20's last one with a bathroom in the 80's. I bought the farm about 4 or 5 years ago its been a work in progress ever since.
Best wishes

C

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  2:51:42 PM  Show Profile
I would love to see photos. I have heard that old log cabins that have been covered by siding of some kind and therefore preserved, will often begin to decay quickly when the covering is removed. So take care of your cabins, gals! The house I grew up in was originally a log cabin but was white sided when my parents bought it in 1943, before I was born. We never uncovered it, but inside, especially in the basementk, you could see the age in the chimney, and the walls.

But I dream to live in one, and anytime we travel to the mountains we always stay in cabins, so for a few days I can pretend.......:)t

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I have a log bed in the guest room does that count? LOL!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

sbaxter13
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

susan
lakeland fl
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Send sbaxter13 a Yahoo! Message
i got my son a log bed , iam with you does that count susan

farm girl susan
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile
My dh and I are currently completing our new log home. We had a contractor build the log shell and put in the windows and metal roof, basically drying it in. Now we are finishing the inside ourselves (all plumbing, elelctric, interior walls, flooring, all outdoor electric, water and septic systems etc.) We just finished the septic and water lines last week. We've pulled all the interior wiring and have a little insulation left to install in the ceiling. Once we get the insulation sone we will cover the interior walls. Instead of sheet rock we have 1"x6" aspen boads to cover the walls with. Then we have to stain and clear coat all the interior. We've been working on the inside since last fall and hope to be done this summer. As soon as I have time to figure it out I'll post some photos.

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
I live in a log house,and I hate it. I hate to be the negative voice, maybe I haven't figure out how to live in a log house. It's dark, has no storage and smells like a mushroom.

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lizajane
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Lisa
Alto TX
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:10:56 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in a log house for 5 years. It is different, but I love it.
Go to Top of Page

FarminKarmin
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Karmin
Alpharetta ga
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  2:43:11 PM  Show Profile
We have a summer log cabin in Ohio and we love it! I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  6:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We built a log house in 1976-1977. You could call it a cabin because it was very small. We did all of our own logging, sawing and planing the logs and milling the rest of the lumber for the floor, inside walls, etc.

I'VE NEVER WORKED SO HARD!!!

We would leave our children, who were small at the time, with my mom, load up the 4WD pickup and head for the mountains. My hubby would select the best trees and fell them. I would hook the chain around them, snake them out and limb them with a 2-bit axe. We borrowed a flat-bed trailer rig and my dad's tractor with a fork lift. My hubby and my dad loaded them all and hauled them to the sawmill.
After they were sawn, milled and ready they were hauled back to the site. My hubby looked at me and said . . "honey we need for you to figure out how these logs are going to go together . . to make this house and make each layer of logs as level as possible".

Well, I measured, measured and remeasured, marked logs with measurements and was the "job boss" when it came time to lay up the logs.
Each layer was level!!! We loved our little log cabin house.

The sad part of ths story is that it burned down (not "down" because logs take a long time to burn) but it was totally destroyed in an arson fire in July of 1994. We cleaned it all up and started over. However, our house now is a frame house. By the time this happened we were no longer able to get permits for logging house logs from the forest service and it was too costly to do it any other way, settle well with insurance and not have to take out a mortgage.

Anyway, it was . . . it no longer is!!! :(
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile
How heartbreaking to lose it in a fire, CJ! I know what you mean about hard work. When we built ours I was pregnant with my first child and that made it doubly hard. We were living in a tiny log cabin at my parents place about a half mile away from where we were building. We lived without indoor plumbing for almost 4 years. My daughter was potty trained in that outhouse. I wouldn't change that experience for anything. It has made life such a grand adventure. I learned how to make do with what ever was at hand and how to live on a shoestring and still build a house. I love this place - nearly my whole adult life was spent building it(literally) from the ground up. I've been here 30 years now. To not have a mortgage has been so worth all the other sacrifices.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile
We had a log house wehn I was born. I lived there for 6 years. I truly loved it. I have never forgotten it and would loved to have another one. It was really large and I can still see every room in my mind. Especially the kitchen with the big wood cook stove and to this day I long for the beautiful pantry it had! I know it wasn't just the house itself, it was the lake right out the back door, (We had a fishing and hunting camp with nine cabins) the beautfiul woods and pine trees, the sheep we raised and the chickens etc. But, that house certainly left its mark on me. I have wanted another so badly.We have the woods and the acreage just not the log house!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  12:52:41 PM  Show Profile
I will get some pics as soon as possible......I love reading all the comments about the log cabins.

Best wishes
C

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Ceejay, that is a tragic story! My sister and her husband built a log home in Oregon several years ago, they peeled all the logs,etc. off the property....it was alot of work and many many years, it must've been just heartwrenching for you! That's a book in itself!
All of you farmgirls are amazing with your labors of love! I'm truly amazed at the hardwork and ambition that all of you have! It makes me feel a bit whimpy, and insufficient as a farmgirl!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:53:16 PM  Show Profile
We live in a log house. So funny the reactions I get when I tell folks that. Really, life in a log cabin in Fairbanks Alaska is not nearly so romantic as it sound! This house was built in 1950, by the previous owners. At that time, this location was not very developed, though it was close to the University. Now, though, we are right in the middle of things! (Kind of wondering what our neighbors'll think when we get the chickens!) It's log on the outside and tongue and groove paneling on the inside, in the living room. Sheetrocked everywhere else. Wood floors. I love this house...but there are some issues with it. Like, without our water softener, we'd all turn orange from the iron in the well water. And, the original owners must not have owned a level or plumb-bob! And the windows are all homemade double-panes (except the two we've been able to replace so far) - not a lot of protection there against a Fairbanks winter. Still, it's home, and we are modernizing it a bit (not too much!) as time goes by.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Fourteen years ago I purchased this wonderful place - Log Home with four levels, stone on concrete on the lower level and then the logs are the other levels. It has been a interesting adventure and I am still learning how to maintain the querks of a log home. However, I must say I get those looks when I say I live in a log home and I guess it doesn't help when I named my farm - Larkspur Funny Farm.

The Farms Motto is " Where the Spirits are High and the Fiber is Deep".

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  04:45:22 AM  Show Profile
I live in a log home, it is going on 20years old this year. Love every moment. . even when the logs "pop" due to the extreme cold and low moisture. It is an open concept so the heat rises to heat the upstairs. It was not as well laid out as it could have been, however, the original owner used it as a summer camp not a year round residence.

We are busy with the upgrades and maintenance, dealing with interesting problems like woodpeckers! LOL! Would not give this up my home for anything! The only change I would consider would be an addition so I could have a larger living room with a fireplace in it.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in a log home since 1994. We had a Gastineau log home built by a contractor but we did most of the interior work ourselves. We have a porch on 3 sides and a walk in basement. We did not put in a fireplace because of the cost and wood smoke bothered my girls when they were littel. We do hope to put in a pellet stove someday. We learned you want to call them "log homes" when it comes to financing especially if it is going to be your main residence. "Cabin" has a negative conotation with some banks and finanacing instutitions.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  3:23:49 PM  Show Profile
We had our cabin built in 2003, I LOVE mine. It was my dream home for many many years. My husband actually drew out the house plan and had the prints drawn up and then our logs came from Maine. Its bigger than we need but we seem to use every piece of space. The open area up stairs has very old furniture set up like a bedroom would have been many years ago. We have the main floor and then basement. We built on the backside of 12 acres. Our front porch is very big and we spend lots of time there. Very peaceful here especially after we both have high stressed jobs and need some quiet time when we get home.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Columbine
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Pat
Plainwell Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Columbine a Yahoo! Message
We are planning moving up North in Michigan to a one room cabin. Moving from a 5 bedroom home, leaving job after 13 years.... scary but so exciting. We go on weekeds, holidays and it is truely heaven on earth.
quote:
Originally posted by FarminKarmin

We have a summer log cabin in Ohio and we love it! I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man....
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  07:04:36 AM  Show Profile
I don't live in one but I have wanted to for some time! It is my dream!
Deb

New tutu 6/10/2010

http://fairiesflowersandfireflys.blogspot.com

Sweet Summer Sampler

http://brandyannessoycandles.blogspot.com

http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com

New Americana Pinkeep@

http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com

http://pilgrimsandpioneers.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  1:55:43 PM  Show Profile
We don't live in a log home but it is a one room home, does that count at all?? Started to be a garage but has been our home for almost 4 years. No walls except the bathroom!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I do.....go to this link to see the front porch. :o)

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35958&whichpage=106

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
My Husband and I built our log home 15 years ago.We did almost all the work ourselves. It took us 3 years every night ,weekend, vacation. We only took 1/2 day off one Christmas. My Hubby would like to build another one someday..I told him he could do that with his NEXT wife..smiles I only tried to kill him once ! He was standing 30ft in the air on a ladder with me on the ground holding the ladder..He made a crack that I never did anything except sleep and read the newspaper..I began to shake the ladder and curse like a fishwife..I told him to come down off that ladder and say that..He was hanging on for dear life yelling he took it back !
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  06:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Susan, you go girl!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How many farmgirls live in log cabins Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page