Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Joel Salatin in Western Washington
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Joel Salatin in Western Washington Next Topic  

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  12:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Joel Salatin is an American farmer, lecturer, and author and is featured prominently in Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivores Dilemma, as well as the documentary film, FRESH.
He is giving two lectures on the evening of Tuesday, April 20th at Kane Hall, room 120, on the UW campus.
Lecture 1: 6:00 PM
THE SHEER ECSTASY OF BEING A LUNATIC FARMER:
In this mischievous lecture, Joel Salatin compares the industrial global food paradigm with the heritage local food paradigm. Using hilarious stories from his family's Polyface Farm experience, Salatin examines the contrast on many different levels: fertility, carbon cycling, energy use, relationships, marketing, and spirit. If you ever wondered: "What's really the difference between pastured poultry and Tyson's"?--now you'll know.
Lecture 2: 8:00 pm
CAN YOU FEED THE WORLD?--ANSWERING ELITISM, PRODUCTION, AND CHOICE:
By far and away the two most common questions asked of Joel Salatin are: How can we afford local artisanal heritage-based food? And: Is it realistic to think we can really feed the world with a non-industrial food system? Because the local clean food movement, for all its allure, is still only some 2 percent of all food sales, envisioning it as a credible, viable alternative to industrial corporatized genetically modified food seems like pie-in-the-sky dreaming. Using his own Polyface Farm principles as a foundation, Joel builds this vision one piece at a time by blending theory and practice. You will never think about the food system the same way again
Tickets $25 At this event, you will also receive a FREE voucher to see FRESH at Central Cinema April 30 - May 6.
Buy tickets through www.brownpapertickets.com (type "Joel Salatin" in the search window) or purchase them at the door.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile
It would be wonderful if these luctures could be podcast. I would so love to hear what he has to say. I just watched Food Inc. today and was quite taken by him. It was so gratifying to see someone stong in his convictions and doing well with his farming methods. It made me, more than ever, want to have a small farm of my own.

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

Mint Julep
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Holly
Midlothian Virginia
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  6:58:02 PM  Show Profile
If you can find a way to hear Joel Salatin do it. I have been a customer of his grass-fed meat for years. He has so much knowledge on small farming and perma-culture. He is funny too.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  8:13:24 PM  Show Profile
I wish I was on that side of the state next week!
Welcome to the forum Holly!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Apr 16 2010 8:13:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  07:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, soooo close, yet I can't make it that day! Ugh! Would love to be part of those lectures. :(

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Joel Salatin in Western Washington Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page