Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  9:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We all need to save money- my little family is no exception. So I thought that it would be fun/enlightening to post our meal plans for the week/two weeks/month what-have-you and then post what we spent and how on target we are...

We budget $150 every two weeks for groceries for our family of three plus the dog. If I can come in under that- then I feel like I won! That includes all of our toileries and the bit I spend on cleaning supplies.

Here is my menu in no special order:

Beef Fajitas
Beef Stew
Roast
Chicken Soup
Chicken Fiesta dish
Chicken Mushroom dish
Pork Chops
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Fish Fry
Spaghetti
Meat Loaf
Bean Soup
BLT's

Now we sometimes don't end up eating all of that- some nights we just do left overs or whatever. But then that just means we have more in the fridge to work with when we need to tighten the belt a bit tighter.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Alee, That is wonderful. I need to try and do this. Can you tell me how you plan your meals so you have a variety? I have never done it and waste so much money that I do not have so your help to get me started on this owuld be appreciated. Do you cook several meals on the weekends?
delicia
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Alee, impressive! How are you able to get by so cheaply? We've been trying our best to get by cheaper by making our own cleaning supplies, eating less meat, canning & freezing but we're still around $200ish every two weeks. Can you share some tips?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sure ladies! I will be happy to help!

First, I try to figure out when necessities like milk go on sale and buy two gallons. We keep one in the freezer and it really helps to be able to pass it up when it is higher at the store (In Montana our milk prices are really high- over $4 a gallon for Whole Milk).

As far as trying to plan a variety I try to think of three entrees each with beef, pork, and chicken. That gives you 9 meals right there. Then we usually do something with first- 10 meals (the goal being 14) and then one or two with fish (depending on how much you like fish). So then we are getting close so then I fill the gap with family favorites that aren't already planned for.

When I go to the store I stick mostly to the outer ring. Fresh veggies, fresh meat, and dairy. I do get a few frozen things like frozen vegetables and I get a few canned things (Until my garden starts producing since it was a bust last year) and I get some bread items like hamburger buns if I don't have time to make them. I try not to buy junk food but sometimes we allow a bit. Then we cook everything from scratch.

I also try to buy in bigger packages than what I need- so buy the family tray of pork chops instead of just what you need. Then divide and freeze. The trick with this style of shopping is to be able to utilize your freezer. I also check for sale dated meat items. Sometimes you can get as much as a dollar off per pound. That can really save you lots!

I use a lot of carrots, celary, onions and potatoes in my cooking. They taste great together- stewed, roasted, mashed etc and they are cheap. It's a great way to get more veggies in your diet and to have healthy side dishes.

Hmm.. that's all I can really think of other than shopping sales. Oh and I also take a calculator with me when I go so I know when I am reaching my budget. If I am getting there too fast I re-evaluate what I put into my cart. Too much protien? Too much "fluff"? And I also try to take a quick inventory before I shop so I don't buy something I already have.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh and try to be flexible too. Like today- chuck roast was WAY too expensive. I refuse to spend $10 on one meal worth in protien. So instead I bought a corned beef brisket for 6.38. A four dollar savings right there which is quite good. Even little economies- the difference between the name brand or store brand for 50 cents less can add up. I worked at a grocery store for a while and people who were shopping for a week or two would buy about 42 items. If each of those is 50 cents less than you save about 21 dollars!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  5:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your sharing your secrets. I like the way you think it through so logically and practically. I'm going to start buying larger quantities of the sale meat. That makes sense. We do most of the rest alike. But one more question, are you able to buy organic or natural products, too? I think a portion of our higher cost is due to buying Laura's Lean Beef, organic vegetables (when my garden isn't going) and organic dairy substitutes (allergies) - have you found a cheaper way to get these type products cheaper?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  6:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love shopping Costco for their organic fruits and veggies. Yes, they can be a bit more expensive, but in bulk it comes out to about the same cost as buying in small quantities. I have found Bob's Red Mill flour to be comparatively priced if you buy in bulk and sometimes you can get great manufacturer coupons for your organic items as well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1694 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1694 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  7:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Thank-you for sharing. I've been doing this for 28 years. My budget is $125 a week for groceries, toiliteries and gas. If my garden produces well I'll can or freeze. Do everything from scratch. Sometimes I'll have to buy bread, but I bake breads,make batches of cookie dough and freeze. Plan meals for to week and improvise where needed. write down a shopping list and only and I mean only buy what I need. I also buy in large bundles of tp. Use clothes for cleaning and make own cleaning stuff. Save slivers of soap and melt down and make new. I also use coupons.
Hugs,
Laurie
OH one more thing not really farm kitchen stuff: but I melt down crayons that are way to small and put in mini muffin pans to set and there perfect for small hands. I use old muffin pans just for that and melting small leftover candles.

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  9:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laurie- I have some silicon muffin/cupcake moulds in various shapes. I used some star shaped ones for the last bits of candles and I have 3 pretty red wax stars in my kitchen window that smell of spices when they warm up in the sun. They are great! And the other day I decided to rinse them off so they weren't collecting dust and the hot water made them smell good again too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Alee! I try and do this too. I use coupons alot and try and use them with sales to get things for free. Mostly for my starchy items like pasta, rice, etc. We don't buy soft drinks around here and I like to buy meat in bulk too. I have a book about Once a Month cooking that sounds great but I haven't had time to read it yet. It sounds like it could be a time and money saver. Also I've been meaning to make a price book of items I buy alot of. That way I know if it's a good deal or not and can use my coupons more wisely.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tammy- That is a great idea. If you always bought about the same items and always in the sameish order, or if you organized your folder by sections in the store you could REALLY Shop smart!

So far our groceries are holding out great. I haven't had to shop for anything special yet, but my husband decided he HAD to have curry so he bought some special things. Guess I need to start stocking a few different ingredients like coconut milk and curry spice.

Today I noticed I had some carrots passing their prime in my fridge. So I am going to make some carrot cake later today with cream cheese icing. Yummy and frugal!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meal Plans and Shopping Lists Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page