Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Something else to think about our food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Something else to think about our food Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  4:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Tonight on world news Diane Sawyer had a story about the meat in supermarkets being contaminated. Duh! You can see the story at www.abcnews.com. Go all the way down to World News with Diane Sawyer. Then to the top story. You'll see it there. She said why do other countries reject our meats but they are on our plates? Go figure.

Just something else for us to think about. I have actually not bought store bought beef in over 10 years. But my husband eats it all over the country. He drives a truck. She was saying that now there are very high levels of copper that is in the water the cattle drink. Too much copper can cause kidney failure and lots of other problems.

Please go and read the story.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  4:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Another reason to buy from your local, organic farm.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  4:58:25 PM  Show Profile
We buy local when ever humanly possible.
There is just SO much wrong with the way animals and fowl are raised in America for food. I am morally repulsed by the meat industries. I wish that my guy would eat less fast food

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  5:38:45 PM  Show Profile
thank goodness for the local farmer- things need to go back to the way they were in our grandparents days!!!

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  5:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, thank you for posting this link. Pretty scary stuff.
I have been trying to wean husband and I off store bought meats for a while now. We're getting there, but it is tough, since he feels we should have meat at every meal.
The copper is very worrisome, and I've always worried about antibiotics in my water, and now meat, since I have a severe allergy to sulfa medications.
I'll be sure to pass this story on.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  9:39:19 PM  Show Profile
<----is vegetarian for a REASON. Or, SEVERAL reasons, as you so well pointed out Kristin.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: April 11th ~ Interview with Katherine Dunn, artist and farmer of Apifera Farm!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Zan, I would be too if I didn't raise my own. I had not eaten beef for over 10 years because of the mad cow scare. Then a few years ago found a farm with organic grass fed animals. Plus I was raising pigs and chickens and lambs. Then got a bull calf. We put him in the freezer last fall. It's amazing the difference in how it looks compared to store meat. It's pink not blood red.

I just wish we could all have farms and raise our own food. I am so fortunate to have mine here. But there are so many places near everyone where you can get good quality meat and produce. And CSA's too. I am so trying to not buy food that comes from other countries. It's amazing how much of our food is shipped here from around the world. Kiwi from Italy and peaches now and grapes and blueberries from Chili. I will buy strawberries from Fla. because they aren't that far away. At least til mine start bearing. They are full of flowers and I can see little tiny berries.

Anyway, it's just so scary to see what is happening to our food. And then the article in Forbes magazine about Monsanto being company of the year. That really scares me. I hope everyone is able to find the article and read it. I just happened to be at a friend's house the other day and there was the magazine on her coffee table. I about screamed when I saw the cover. I asked her if I could borrow it to read. It's very scary to me. The way our country thinks of food is awful.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this Kristin, it is encouraging that this information is getting out to more people.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris, it is scary. You can't help but think alot of our diseases such as heart, cancer etc.., come from us consuming this stuff. I am with you, I am glad we raise our own meat. I just need to start raising meat chickens. I do eat fish too. I am not sure what to do about that.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
I stay away from farm raised fish. I look for wild salmon from Alaska when I do buy it. I am going to raise some meat chickens too. It's alot of work but so worth it. I have not been eating chicken lately. Even the chickens that are out there that grow to butcher size in 8 weeks is kind of scary. They get so big so fast that they can hardly walk. I don't think our great great grandparents raised chickens like this. How did this happen? I can just see all the "mad" scientists in their little labs creating all these things.

But what do these scientists eat? And these Monsanto researchers. Do they go to McDonalds and super-size their orders?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  6:07:17 PM  Show Profile
We buy Laura's Lean Beef, hopefully that is better. We don't buy chicken, can't handle how they are raised, etc. But if we knew where to get good safe meat from someone local we would buy it there rather than the grocery store.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Kristin--yes, I wonder why Monsanto exists at all. People REALLY do NOT know the extent of the exploitation of food in this country--or other countries, for that matter. It is crazy. We all need to act out against this stuff!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: April 11th ~ Interview with Katherine Dunn, artist and farmer of Apifera Farm!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,

It is extremely frightening about the food supply in this country. If you are still eating fast food/aren't choosy about foods, watch Food, Inc. and read the supplementary book as well. We have gone to raising our own meat and networking with local farmers to find what we do not raise. Monsanto is very, very scary to me. Very scary that many of the people who work in the upper levels of government (and I do mean a LOT) worked for Monsanto at some point in their lives. I won't get all conspiracy theorist on here, but I urge anyone who has no idea what we're talking about to do some research into food supply of the US.

So, girls, lesson being, raise your own and SUPPORT THOSE LOCAL FARMERS!!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  1:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Kris I saw that news piece, gross!!!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  03:33:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh phooey. I missed this and wanted to see it as it was last night.

Oh well, I'll catch it on the internet

We also get our meat from a friend. We too haven't bought store bought for many,many years. And on the rare occasion when whe have, it has a "taste" to it that is really off-putting.

Here recently, if some of you have been following our wild hog adventures....my DH won't eat much 'cause he read some stuff on the internet about all the cooties they can "potentially" carry.

Well phooey. Anything cooked at 500 degrees on a grill doesn't stand a chance! And from the sounds of it, we will be much better off eating "wild" than from any of this mass produced, over crowded feel lot garbage anyway!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  04:17:40 AM  Show Profile
Anna, that's the thing about the tainted meat the news was talking about. Even cooked it still has all the contaminants in it. Cooking doens't kill the bad bacteria, it actually makes it worse. I was reading a little more about it last night. I think I would much rather have that wild hog than a poor pig raised in a factory like the Smithfield that Paula Deen supports. I am not happy about that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Something else to think about our food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page