natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:03:52 PM  Show Profile
I am going to become an official sister tomorrow. I guess it will take a while to get my packet in the mail so these may be questions it will answer for me.

I have never sewed anything and I'm not even sure I can work the sewing machine. I want to learn so I can make aprons. Well one in particular. I have an idea for one made specifically for gardening. I guess for me to use when I'm gardening. I know exactly how I want it to look and how I want it to work.

I am a big research kinda person. I like to go over instructions a dozen times before I start the first step. I can't do a step, then read about the next one and do it, so forth. I need to 'flow' from step to step as if I really know what I'm doing. That what my DH says.

So, I'm looking for help with my research. Is anyone aware of any websites or good learning books? I need every scrap of info I can find. I'm going tomorrow and getting the manual for my mothers sewing machine so I'll be able to operate it. I just hope I can learn make it work for me. I do know there is a difference. I learned that when I was learning to cook from my grandma.

If any of you girls have any suggestions of where to get material for a good price I'd appriciate that as well.

Thank you!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your soon to be sisterhood and on venturing into apron making!
I don't have too much info for you on how to sewing websites. I learned to sew before I had the internet so I've never really looked.
The fabric part though, I can help you on!
Fabric.com has great fabrics at relatively good prices. If I find a fabric that I like, I usually google it and try and find the best price on it. We don't have any fabric shops near here so I always buy my fabric online. Different online shops are always having sales so I like to search to make my money count.
JoAnn's has o.k. fabric. You have to be pretty picky though. We don't have Hobby Lobby in California (not sure if you do either)but I have heard a few good things about it.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:37:57 PM  Show Profile
What kind of information are you looking for? Working the sewing machine info? Or actually making the apron info? There are a lot of us with mega sewing experience who can answer most questions you have if we know what they are.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:00:00 PM  Show Profile
I have no idea what I'm doing period. I do know I want new pillowcases and aprons and maybe some pillow covers for the furniture. I'm not sure even how to start. Oh yeah, with a baby in the house maybe dresses and one-piece shorts outfits would be nice too. I'm gettin so ahead of myself. Ok. Questions.

What should I try to make first?
Is there any special stitching styles I need to learn?
If you were teaching someone to sew what would you tell them for the first lesson?
What would you show them in the first lesson?

I'm sorry but I'm really running blind here. I don't know what to ask or where to grab hold of this project.

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:58:16 PM  Show Profile
There are alot of tutorial videos on youtube, DIY and other websites.

I have helped teach several people to sew, of course it is always easier in person! I would say to start easy. Straight lines. Pillows, pillow cases. small, simple quilt top are always a good start. Then move to things like a simple apron or tote bag.

Be sure to read the manual for your machine so you understand how to thread it correctly and change the bobbin.

Practice on some scraps to get the hang of stitches. Try out different types your machine does so you can see them. Adjust knobs and see what happens. Then adjust it back to where you started.

Practice on two layers of scraps of different types of material. Keep an even tension at the back and front as it goes under the foot. But don't pull it through the machine. Start sewing with the basic stitches such as straight, basting, and zig zag.

That's the types of things I tell people when they are first starting. =)

Good luck!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  12:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Angela, I bought sewing for dummies, Simplicity has a great book as well. You can buy patterns for dummies too and they are Simplicity. I thought the pattern was really hard to figure out so the books really helped me. I read and re read until it made sense and actually finished my 1/2 apron and it turned out cute. If I can help just let me know.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  05:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Angela,
First off, WaHOOOO!!! Love that your joining!!!! Okay, next, if you are close enough to a local fabric store they often have classes. This would be a wonderful way to start since there would be a teacher to help you when you get stuck or simply do not understand what the directions mean. ( I teach sewing, however, I do not live near you)

There are quite a few basic sewing books on the market to help you through the different steps, vocabulary etc. One I have had for a long time is "Singer Sewing Book" It is an A-Z approach on everything from setting a zipper, covering pillows, applique', and so much more.

You may even find a Farmgirl Sister that lives near by that could help you as well. Wishing you much success with your new sewing endeavors!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:47:05 AM  Show Profile
I definitely recommend a sewing book - maybe you could get one or five from your library. I am the same way with needing to know what I am doing, and naturally moving to the next step. I agree that a lot of patterns are very hard to read - it has something to do with copywright laws (I have the feeling I didn't spell that correctly, hmm) and that the pattern companies have to find new ways to say very simple things - anyhow, learning from a pattern is probably a recipe for frustration.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Angela,

Here is a link to Sandra Betzina's website which has online help for different aspects of sewing. I used it once to learn to put in zippers.

http://www.sandrabetzina.com/

I only have been sewing seriously for a year and a half and found that beginning with things that had straight seams such as pillow cases, pillows, simple curtains, basic block quilt tops was a good place to start.

Happy sewing!

Judy
farm sister 932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Glad you joined us. All I can say from teaching others to sew. What sewers do comes very easy to them and very hard for a non sewer. First you need to learn the machine. Thread it, what it can and can not do, does it stitch back wards not all machines do. After learning your machine then go on to other things. Aprons, pillow cases things in that area are easy for you, just need to line up pcs and sew. There are alot of things you need to know about laying out the pattern as well. It sounds hard but it is not. It just takes time to learn and if you learn it well you can do anything. I have only been sewing for 45 years I try to do it all. Make patterns, drapies, table linen, clothes men, women and children, even recover furniture. So just think you can and you will. Just a word some books are really not written for the ones who do not know anything. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Threads magazine has come out with a program on teaching yourself to sew. You might check that one out. If you can locate a Readers Digest Sewing book at a second hand store it is a really good one. Most of all - just jump in and try, try, try. Like with any new skill it is all about practice and patience. I hope you will find the joy in it that I and many others have.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:12:39 PM  Show Profile
I have my moms sewing machine, some material, new thread and the sewing basket full of supplies and gadgets that my DH got me today all in my living room tonight. I have simplicity's book on sewing, agian my DH got me. I have nearly finished reading it and am cutting out my first pattern. The last half of the book get's into detail on advanced techniques and things I'm not ready for, so I guess it's time to start. Pray for me girls! I'll need it!

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Have fun and good luck Angela!!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Have fun and good luck. The Simplicity Book is a good one I had if for years and was going to suggest it until I read you had one. I agreed straight seams are the best way to start. The first thing my kids made in Home Eco. was a half apron. I have been sewing for more years than I can count. If you have any questions you could do an e-mail and get a quicker answer maybe. I have taught sewing like alot of the ladies here. I am sad because my sewing machine (I've had it for 14 years and made everything from saddle pad covers to corsets and prom dresses) just broke and is not repairable. I feel like I have lost my best friend. I have 5 projects going and mending to do and no machine. *sigh* Good luck with your first project and if you have questions please feel free to e-mail and I would love to try and help.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't start last night. I am so sad. I was gettin ready to start winding the bobbin and the friction ring snapped! I could've cried as I have no replacement for it. My DH is gonna go to town this afternoon and buy a sidewinder to do the bobbins on. The repairman we called said my model is really old (1950's) and the ring will take a few weeks to track down. He's workin on it but I can't wait that long. Thank God for my DH to rescue me. He did the research and found the sidewinder thing.

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure you will do just fine. Have a lot of fun and take it slow and easy. Remember to let the feed dogs pull the fabric for you - you just need to guide the fabric with your hands. Sounds like you have a gem of a DH. Keep us posted as to your progress. Any of us will be glad to answer your questions. It's not as difficult as it may seem.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  6:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Here is the link to the Threads Newsletter teach yourself to sew http://www.threadsmagazine.com/teach-yourself-to-sew

It has video demos on the most basic things.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  6:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Again wishing you luck just take your time and go slow. It will be fine. Let the machine do the work just guide. Do not pull or push. Lilly

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  8:29:16 PM  Show Profile
It's really late but we're back with the sidewinder. I'm gonna at least start on my first project tonight and finish it tomorrow. Well, here goes nothing!

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:54:51 AM  Show Profile
I can't seem to figure out why, but the thread keeps gettin tangled on the underneath. I've turned up the tension and it helped, but it's still happening. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Are you sure you have your bobbin in in the right direction? Does your machine have a drop in bobbin or the kind with a bobbin case? Try to hold the threads when you first start the stitching (the thread from the needle and the one from the bobbin)

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I think Sheri said it the bobbin is not in right. Lilly

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  2:13:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna unthread my machine and rethread it with the book beside me agian. I'll let you know if it helps.

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  2:49:01 PM  Show Profile
I have that trouble if I forget to hold the thread tails taught as I start stitching. I have to hold 'em for at least 10 stitches or so. I kinda have gotten a hang of "feeling" them catching or not. Rethreading, new needle, hold those thread tails, make sure your stitch selector is all the way on straight stitch (or whatever).

Wishing you shears that stay sharp, a needle that never breaks and a bobbin that never runs out of thread!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  3:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Mine does that because I always forget to hold the threads when I start, I think I'm holding them, then no...

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Holding the tails is good but if you pull the thread long enough out of the way this will work as well. When I say long enough a good 8 to 12 inches away from the needle. It seams hard but it is not. Good luck Lilly.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sewing Virgin Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page