natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  6:27:15 PM  Show Profile
I have been days now trying everything I can to make the tangling stop. I have even actively pulled out thread as I'm starting. I have adjusted the thread tension to every setting. It's tangling when I start, turn, slow down, and even in the middle of the seam for no apparent reason. When I finally manage to pull the material loose there is 6 or 8 loops underneath and I have to pull several broken loops out of the area where the bobbin is setting. Any ideas?

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  8:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Maybe the wrong kind of needle - something like that happened to me when using a regular needle on fabric with 5% lycra. I am not an expert though

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  10:10:16 PM  Show Profile
What type of bobbin case does your machine have? Is it a drop in bobbin or the type with a bobbin case? If it has a bobbin case it could need an adjustment. Is the needle new or the one that came with the machine? Sometimes the needle can be slightly bent and you can't see it or it can be dull. The tension is unbalanced and that is why the loops. If it is a drop in bobbin, check and make sure there is no lint in the bobbin area as sometimes that can mess up the tension. Make sure the bobbin is in right side up. Also double check that the bobbin thread is in the proper slot to give it tension.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile
I just found out it's my thread tension knob. Rather the spring that the knob adjusts. I have to take it in for repair. :( I guess I'll have to wait to learn any more on it.

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  2:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Bummer. Nothing more frustrating than a machine with a problem. It doesn't sound like it would be a very expensive repair though. I hope you won't give up on learning.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lisabob
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

lisa
quanah texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I learned to sew by purchasing a simple pattern and some very inexpensive fabric. I read all the instructions on the pattern and the legend, it tells what all the terminology means. I think I practiced sewing a straight seam first. But, I just had to do it to learn it, and it really didn't take that long. My projects got better little by little. Good luck, you're gonna' love it.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Lisa - welcome to the forum!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lisabob
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

lisa
quanah texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. I'm new to this so, bear with me. I went on to look at some other forums.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  2:50:58 PM  Show Profile
While I am NO sewing expert, I have made ferret/rat beds, dresses, pillowcases, aprons, curtains, and even a chair cover. My best advice is just make sure your machine has been serviced and oiled and all of that, and JUST DO IT. I messed up on so many things, but I just kept right on going! Lol.

The most frustrating thing is when your machine messes up, and I understand. My machine is really persnickety about how the bobbin thread is. Before I figured it out, I almost threw it out into the yard a couple of times! Lol.

Hope your machine is back in working order by now.

And, also, I use vintage fabrics that I find at garage sales to sew with. Right now I am about to take my Mamaw's old skirt and make my girls 2 dresses with it! I love repurposing fabric!!!

a

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Edited by - msdoolittle on Apr 26 2010 2:52:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile
My poor machine is on a waiting list to be seen and assessed. I won't know anything for a few weeks yet. :(

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  10:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Uggggg! I just got my first apron pattern...it's all Greek to me, hoping my chapter chicks can help me figure it out.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Angela The rule of thumb is the is the thread mess is on the underisde of the fabric the PROBLEM is the top thread and if the thread mess is on the top side of the fabric the PROBLEM is the bobbin thread. Learned this from a sewing machine repairman years ago and it has not failed me yet. Been sewing for over 50 years now and have had about every problem you can think of.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Sewing Virgin Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page