Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Last week I made a big dent in the laundry crisis at my house- and crisis it was. It felt like every where I looked there was laundry lying about. Ugh. I hate having a messy house but somehow I have less motivation to clean than I need.

So last week I did a laundry marathon and got load after load washed, dried and put away, but I still was playing catch up and had a few loads that didn't get put away and of course more laundry was dirtied this week so again this morning I have been washing, drying and putting away.

I have two huge baskets full that I have to fold still and more in the wash.

I think I both love and hate doing laundry. I love the idea that I am getting things clean literally by the armload, and I love the smell of fresh, clean laundry- but I am not the biggest fan of the fold-put away phase.

Someday I would love to be able to hire a girl to come clean my house for about an hour and a half a week. She could do my dishes, clean my kitchen and bathroom and finish up with folding!

Wouldn't that be great! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Laundry is never ending is it? I can't decide what to do. I usually wait until I have a big load. But then I end up doing laundry all day. Isn't it more "green" to do big loads then a bunch of little ones????

What does everyone else do?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  11:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a large pile of laundry to do in the basement now. I'm doing it as I'm trying to spring clean the house. I never knew we had so many clothes and things! I kind of got behind this past week.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh can I relate to that! Clean by the armload, but then the folding and putting away! I hate that part...socks especially! We probably wouldn't have so many clothes in our house if I was better at the folding and putting away part. It's a vicious cycle...too many clothes make too much laundry results in things being "lost in the laundry"=buying more clothes with money we don't have...ugh.

I've even thought of putting up closet rods and a dresser in the basement so that I could hang up and "put away" in laundry area. That way we'd still be getting dressed in the basement, but not out of a laundry basket! Those of you with real laundry rooms are blessed and those with more than two kids are amazing.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  2:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Alee...I could have written your post. As we speak I am folding three baskets full. I just can't keep up. And I have a feeling this summer is not going to be one to enjoy as I had thought because it's only just begun and my boys are loving our new back yard so much that they go out and dig dig dig until they are black and then come inside and throw their laundry down the chute and put on new clothes and go back out, wash, rinse repeat. The piles of filthy clothes are up to my ears and I don't know how to control it :( And once I get caught up on all the washing, then there's the folding and putting away, which is really the main part of "doing the laundry", that I still have yet to tackle. Sigh...at least I'm not the only one going round in circles in laundry land...

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile
I agree....the folding and putting away is what always gets me. Plus the fact it's never all done because at the end of the day you have a new pile. I try to fold out of the dryer into the basket but then the basket gets set aside and more gets put on top until it's the leaning tower of clothing. Trying to find something even folded makes a mess of it all. Grrr....guess it's time to tackle it again and finally actually put it away. I'd love to be able to use a clothesline but we have so much dust from the dirt road that the clothes would be dirtier than when I started!

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  4:40:39 PM  Show Profile
The only good thing about laundry is you can turn on the washer five minutes before your husband gets home from work and he thinks you've been doing something!!

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  4:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL Debbie! That is the FUNNIEST thing I have heard today! I'm going to have to remember that! LOL!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Lol, Debbie, I have TOTALLY done that! Ha!!!! Oh, and the dishwasher works good, too, ladies....lol.

I do not mind washing laundry or even folding it, but I HATE putting it away! I don't know why, because I love it all put up, I just don't like to be the one who does it :0)

Oh well. OH, and by the way, I try to do at least a load a day. "A load a day keeps the chaos away." (Isn't that what the FlyLady says???)

a

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Edited by - msdoolittle on Apr 11 2010 3:40:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I must admit I've also done that, Debbie LOL! On those day when I really have spent the whole day sewing. I know I've accomplished something, but hubby wouldn't understand that as an accomplishment. hahaha...good thing we've got plenty of laundry to toss in the wash and dishes in the dish washer. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't really have the laundry problem any more, it's just me and hub. For those with kids, maybe you could sort each child's laundry and then put it on their beds for them to fold? It seems that my mom used to do something along those lines.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile
That is so funny Debbie :) I confess too!

I know what you mean Alee, I love putting clothes in the washer, taking them out and smell the fresh cleanness and popping them into the dryer (we don't have a clothesline yet). It's the pulling out, folding and putting away that I don't care for. My motivator is the thought of them sitting on a dresser or still in the dryer and THEN having to do that. Hmmm, how can we make this more fun?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  07:20:56 AM  Show Profile
When my kids were home, I bought milk crates, a different color for each child. After I folded their laundry, it went into their color, and it was their responsibility to put the clothes away.

It worked pretty well, except that as teenagers, they would run from the shower to the laundry room to get their clothes out of the crate -- somehow the crate became their dresser!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  06:14:00 AM  Show Profile
I can relate to this ladies! With 3 little girls, the laundry seems to pile up faster than I can get it washed and put away. My oldest has started doing her own laundry most of the time, which is a blessing. Now if she would just take over the rest of the laundry ;) .
I frequently toss a load of laundry in just before my husband gets home LOL!

Blessings,
Catherine :)

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  07:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well here we go again- I am going to try to power through my laundry in the next couple hours....

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  08:19:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm enjoying the fact that my husband is working out of town this week - he is big, his clothes are big, and when his dirty clothes are home it takes up a looot of room. I know I'll have to deal with it Friday when he gets here but I'm hoping I can just whisk the clothes into the washer, then back into his out-of-town bag and they won't explode all over the bedroom like they usually do:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  08:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Isn't it crazy how the guy clothes explode all over the bedroom?! My husband's do that too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok so I am very Anal when it comes to laundry. Tshirts light weight shirts, one load hung out to dry then it is sweatshirts and heavy tops one load hung on the line in order then it is sweat pants then jeans and the clothes line always looks the same. Heavy things in the sun longer. Sox/undies are matched and hung on the line. Towels for each bathroom are different and so they get hung in order and everything folded when they come off the line thus I take each type of clothes and in ther respective drawers/bathroom they go. Take of the line and to their home 30 mins
I have a HUGH house and it is very interesting to keep it clean and picked up but I have a basket for upstairs trips and one for down stairs trips.
Dishes are never left dirty get your self one of the wands that you pour dish soap into and as you dirty one wash and put to dry. You will find instead of getting a new dish/bowl you will use the one on the counter first.
Nylgene water bottles I have 2 one in the fridge at all times and one with me at all times when I need more the dirty one gets washed and the one in the fridge come out to play. My grand girls 4/3/2 all do this when they are here they wash the dish they use they love it.

I only use my dish washer when I have dinner guests.
My DH does his own laundry and I do mine. MY daughters from when they were about 10 did all their laundry too.

And Get rid of half of what you have nobody needs 20 tshirts 10 pairs of jeans their are only 7 days in the week.

Ok I am off my Soapbox
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  10:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well the laundry is in retreat! The hang up clothes are obediantly handing on their hangers and I only have one more load to wash!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  02:04:04 AM  Show Profile
It's a rare week at my house when the laundry baskets get emptied completely. My husband and I pretty much pick clothes out of the baskets all week. Fortunately, we have a large bedroom and the two baskets just sit on the floor between our dressers. It used to bother me a lot that the clothes never got put away properly. But our cat has come to think of the narrow space between the two baskets as his personal fortress, and it's so funny to see him lurking in his cave that I don't have the heart to tidy up that part of the bedroom too much.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
Thanks for the stern finish to your post. Just the kick in the (too many)pants I needed to get my fanny in gear getting rid of stuff. I'm not a clothes horse, more of a clothes mule. Thanks for the motivation!
Amy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Diana- yes, you make a great point about having too many clothes. I have definately made progress. I have taken about 3 huge bags of clothes to the thrift store in the past 6 months or so. I have another that I am going to be taking soon. I need to stop holding onto those "tight" jeans just because I "know" I will fit into them again soon. Well when it happens I can go down to the thrift shop and get some new to me jeans that fit! LOL

In all reality though, I have about 4 pairs of jeans, 3 skirts and some yoga pants. I have a few more shirts but I need more shirts as I have a tendancy to drop food down my front. :(

I think it is just taking me a bit longer to really have my childhood cleaning lessons sink in as daily practices. I just recently emailed my mom that it was finally sinking in to not toss jeans in the wash just because I wore them. If they are clean and have no odor they can be worn again. I mean, I work in an office building. I get dressed, drive to work, sit at a desk for 9 hours and come home. The pants don't really need to be washed after that. I can always wear them a second time to do yard work or go see the horse or whatever. That really helps the laundry load too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  7:10:38 PM  Show Profile
I have recently gotten rid of serveral clothes at the goodwill.... And I tell you, it really makes an impact on the laundry... And my closet has been organized for over 3 weeks now... WHICH IS A Miracle!!! :)

If I let it....Laundry will eat my lunch!!! I cant stand the laundry!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  8:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I suffer from a certain amount of "But we might need it again sometime." So I have a hard time letting things go, but I am learning that I don't like to clean up all these odd bits and pieces. So I am decluttering too. I am going to take a big load of toys to the thrift shop this coming week. Nora's room needs some help!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, I made a huge dent in MY laundry this weekend just by getting rid of a bunch of stuff. Like Alee I suffer from "but we might need it again". I decided that giving it to charity (one that is cheaper than Goodwill here)would land my stuff in the hands of somebody who needs it NOW. Plus I made some awesome laundry detergent using Dr. Bronner's Lavender Castile soap. My laundry room has never smelled so good without making me sneeze! Going upstairs to make some lavender dryer bags to boot. Happy, happy, happy.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy- That sounds great! I wish I could use lavendar in our laundry but my husband HATES it. His mom used it quite frequently when he was a kid and over used it I think.

I just made some more dirty clothes- I went out and was gardening. Oh how I love to play in the mud when I get a chance!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry and other things Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: