True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

Could you share your laundry detergent recipe with us? I would appreciate it.

Jamie,

What a concept! Okay, I am ready to downsize the closets :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Sure. It's a modified version of the #3 recipe on tipnut.

6 cups Hot water
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/3 cup liquid castile soap (I used Dr. Bronner's Lavender)

* In a large pot, heat 6 cups of water. Add the liquid castile soap and stir well. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.
* In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
* Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).

It gelled over night and was not as gloppy as the recipes I've used with grated and melted soaps. It's still a weird consistency, just not as lumpy. I also use plain white vinegar as a fabric softener rinse. My clothes came out really clean and SOFT! I used the dryer for a couple loads and it seemed like there was less lint, too. Not exactly scientific, but I'm happy.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
what i hate is washing, hanging to dry then taking down then folding then putting away. I know it saves power but i hate the extra steps...lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  2:10:41 PM  Show Profile
I have a dear friend who always has piles of clean laundry on the 4 sofas (!) in her living room. She and her DH have two DDs, the older one is best buds with my DD (6-years old). Now, I think my kid has too many clothes, but she said last week, "Mom, I'm really lucky!" I asked why, and her reply surprised and pleased me: I don't have as many clothes as "Tina." I asked her how that made her lucky, and she said that if she had that many clothes, they'd always be piled on the bed and on top of the dresser and sticking out of the drawers. I think it would make my friend's life, and my life, too, a whole lot easier if we could just see the value of LESS a little more clearly.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too funny Melissa!

On Thursday I am emptying my closet and an my dresser drawers of everything I didn't wear in the past 3 weeks and am going to take it down to the thrift shop. Then I am going to spend a little money and buy a few outfits to replace what I just took out with things that fit a bit better ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  6:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
When I read this thread I thought of this I just read in Real Simple magazine..."I really love to clean. It's not anything compulsive, it's just that you can see a difference when you're through. Not like raising kids or something that you're not sure how it's going to turn out for a couple of decades."
Jill Churchill\Farewell to Yarns

Debbie

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  06:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is too funny! It's a good way to look at it though!

I took a big bag of clothes and things down to the thrift shop and bought four shirts and got a free aquarium for our fish. So over all I think I did pretty good!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:24:02 AM  Show Profile
I have been doing that. Lost some weight and need new jeans [and am working a temp job where I can dress like a regular person!] so I've had to get a few new things.
So I went through drawers and got rid of whatever doesn't fit.
Been doin' that for a while. Made lots of room in the house and those clothes are out there for others to use too [instead of sitting in my closet and drawers gathering dust].
Feels good to get rid of dust gathereers!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Dawniamw
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dawnia
Mapleton Depot PA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Dawniamw a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone,
I can so very much relate! lol I have been without a washer for a week now, (I finally was able to replace the lid switch today), and although it's just me and my two teenagers, I SWEAR the laundry not only breeds and grows, it decides to have a party and invite all of the neighbors piles! As to the baskets for each kid, yep, they do that too, they live out of the basket, and even though I sit and fold it, they grab what they need for that moment, knocking over what they dont and it sits there. If it falls on the floor, its considered dirty and they toss it onto the "laundry fiesta" in the basement! argh! lol sigh.

It's a good thing the weather is nice and I can at least hang stuff outside. small therapy, but hey, I take it where I can get it.
Blessings,
Dawnia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry and other things Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page