lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  6:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've been forced to admit that I really haven't been taking very good care of myself and now I have to. I already exercise (yes, on purpose!) and I'm very physically active when I'm not at work (sit down job) but my biggest problem is what I eat...or not. I HATE cooking. So much so that I'm perfectly happy with coffee for breakfast, lunch and dinner with an occasional tuna sandwich, apple or banana thrown in. Maybe a home-made smoothie or handful of nuts or baby carrots every now and then, too. I can't seem to get away with eating like this anymore, but I still don't want to cook if I don't have to. I've been searching the internet and it's either spend an hour preparing/cooking or.... use prepackaged stuff! If the recipes call for a box of whats-this or a can of whats-that, then it's of no use to me. And, now that the nice weather is here, the LAST thing I want to do is take the time to prepare/cook/eat when there's so much more I'd rather be doing! When I do eat, it's usually on the go unless somebody talks me into sitting down for dinner somewhere.

So, if you gals have any ideas on fixing meals that don't suck up my time and don't require standing at the stove; I'm all ears 'cause I'm stuck!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Well I wish I had a bunch of recipes to share with you but I don't. I actually love spending hours in the kitchen so I usually do! :)
The one thing I wanted to say though was if you truly do want to eat healthier then you are going to have to come to terms with spending some time in the kitchen. That's just the bottom line.
You could however, spend some time and make a double batch of whatever you are making so that you have one to eat and one to freeze. That way, the next time you need a dinner you can take it out, put it into the oven and go do the things you want to for an hour or two!
Eating healthy does not require hours upon hours in the kitchen. Simply eating the right foods can help out quite a bit!
What about yogurt and granola for breakfast? It's easy and quick! You could quickly make up a quesedilla with cheese, tomatoes and any other raw veggies you wanted to for lunch. Spaghetti is a quick dinner and you could make double the meat sauce, freeze part and then next time all you'd have to make are some noodles and a quick salad! Then continue to throw in your apples, banannas and carrots in between.
Whatever you do, stay away from boxed or pre-prepared foods that you buy at the supermarket.
I hope that some of this helps!¢¾

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  8:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Actually, it does help, Heather! I forgot about yogurt and granola! You're probably right though; I'll HAVE to spend some time at the stove (cringe). It might be easier when my daughter comes home for the summer as she likes to cook and usually gets me into it with her (she's still learning) and then I don't seem to mind it so much. Every now and then, I get a wild hare and do a whole bunch of cooking/baking...but it's usually to give away!

I'm with you on the boxed stuff! My system just can't handle what they put in that so-called "food" so, I'm an avid organic supporter. I suppose I could make a bunch of spaghetti or ghoulash and freeze it. My doctor told me I should start using my crockpot more so, I'm looking for easy stuff other than soups and stews.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, your crockpot is a great idea! I often do stews or roasts in ours. The stew is great though because all I have to do is add some biscuts or cornbread to accompany it and dinner's done!
I'm sure if you google "slow cooker recipes" you'd come up with a bunch of ideas! I do oatmeal in our crockpot once in a while too- I just throw all the ingredients in, stir, turn it on before I go to bed and we have warm oatmeal in the morning!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I know what you mean about seeking out recipe ingredients. I have 3 or 4 standard vegetarian dinners that I make over and over. I enjoy trying new experiments in the kitchen when it's for fun, but I don't like to spend more than 30 minutes cooking dinner when I get home from work. And when I'm working outside or around the house on summer weekends, I really don't want to stop to cook.

Along with the crockpot, you might want to use a rice cooker as well. You can just throw in the rice (or quinoa or other grain) and walk away. Then you've got a big pot of rice that you can add fixings to for a variety of meals. Steam some vegetables (10 or 15 minutes at the stove, tops) and you've got stir fry. Or microwave it with some canned beans and roll it up in a burrito wrap with cheese, salsa, and greens.

But honestly, the foods you describe eating are pretty much my standard diet from college days and I was super healthy then. What does your doctor want you to accomplish? Do you need to put on weight? Or add more variety?

Go to Top of Page

luganlass
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Cindy
Petaluma CA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send luganlass a Yahoo! Message
Hi there,
I am just like you and could eat the same all day and not bother with any cooking. Coffee and toast are my best friends. Long story short: I have found that in my old age(41) it has caught up to me. So. I had to start to consume food now that has MORE nutritional value and I still do not have to eat alot (I can not stand my stomach feeling full)...you have to know what you are putting in your body and change WHAT you eat which is probably things for you that will be out of the norm. I had to do it. That means getting yourself aquainted with things like QUINOA...I really had NO IDEA what that was until I started hanging around the salad bar at Whole Foods Market for a quick fix of vegetables that I was too lazy to round up for myself.
Anyway I wanted to share my sister's blog with everyone. It's based on her journey with eating a macrobiotic diet. Alot of us nowdays have food alergies we don't know about or do know about and there are many "diets" but I am only suggesting looking into food that has the maximum food value and of course the easiest for you to stomach/prepare.

She is a busy young girl who lives and works in NYC so tries to also make this simple. I am sure you can subscribe to it and
ask her questions if you want.

http://lizzymarshall.wordpress.com/

Cindy

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world". -JRR TOLKIEN
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Many foods and especially soup is easy in a crock pot.

Edited by - Roxy7 on Apr 12 2010 06:26:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - I have found quesadillas to be a really good solution to this. My husband works out of town sometimes and I never want to cook when he is gone, but I like to have something "real" to eat too. There are really good organic whole wheat tortillas available - then if you get some kind of good cheese and salsa - throw in turkey/chicken/fish/beans you are good, the only prep is grating cheese and spooning the ingredients in and then you just put it on the griddle on each side till the cheese melts. My favorite combination was smoked gouda, mango salsa, turkey and black beans.
Oh and if you want to get fancy you could saute mushrooms and garlic and put them on - really good with a combo of cheddar and jack cheese - that would only take 5 minutes of cooking or so.
Mmmm I just made myself hungry for dinner and it is only 7:30 am....
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, would you be able to commit to one or two days a month of cooking? There are several cookbooks where you cook up easy main dishes and freeze them until you are ready to use them. My sister did this while she was raising her family and it worked well for her.

http://www.once-a-month-cookingworld.com/

The link above isn't for the same cookbook that my sister used, but it looks just as good, if not better.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Judy
farm sister 932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  12:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,
I cook on the weekend for the week ahead, cooking during the week is a challenge for me. One thing that is fast and easy for me is rice and beans.
I have a recipe that you add sauteed vegetables, tomatoes, and your favorite beans (I like red or black beans) to cooked rice. I also make hummus and put that on a whole wheat tortlla with lots of veggies, protein and very quick. I make alot of salads with beans and nuts for protein. Panini sandwiches are quick and you can add alot lots of veggies. Baked salmon patties and turkey burgers are quick and easy for me, too. A bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, dried candberries, and nuts is something I eat when I don't feel like cooking. If anything sounds good and you want some recipes, let me know!
Blessings,

Sharon

*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  6:32:17 PM  Show Profile
In our neck of the woods, hot roasted chickens are sold right at the grocery store. When I dont feel like cooking I grab one. Not only can you eat that with a quick veggie. You can put the left overs in the fridge and make chicken salad, or make a green salad the next night with a few dried cranberrie, maybe some goat cheese, walnuts, canned beats, or what ever you like. You dont even have to "make" a dressing, just squeeze a little leamon on it and a drizzle of olive oil and your good to go.

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  11:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you all came up with a lot of stuff! The whole point of eating better now, is to get/keep my various health issues under control (including the menopausal stuff), trying to make sure I keep everything functioning the way it's supposed to which seems to be a problem lately and trying to keep the weight off which, is getting harder to do in spite of the fact that I prefer to live on coffee! Variety and balance is what we're after here...it just seems like so much to think about and plan and get it right...just for me when I just can't get enthused. Know what I mean?

Cindy, that's exactly it for me, too. The eating habits that I prefer are catching up to me now (I'll be 47 next month), too. Eating this way when I was younger wasn't a problem but, it doesn't work when we get older. But, stopping what I'm doing to go cook or even to eat feels like such a nuisance!

Robin, unfortunately, we don't have stores like that here. There are in Boise, but that's almost 40 miles away and not worth the trip!

Judy, I don't know if I can say that I can commit to cooking up a month's worth of food in one day...maybe if it's snowing or raining AND it's a weekend...that might happen every now and then. Somehow, I have to make myself follow through with eating it, too. I have stuff in the freezer that I made up during the canning/freezing season - ready for the microwave, but good for you stuff - and I haven't touched it!

So, I'll check out your sister's blog, Cindy and I'll check out that cookbook site, Judy and I'll just have to MAKE myself do this.

Farmgirl Sister #35

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Lisa,

Keep us posted on your progress. If you need some "attagirls" let us know, we'll be here for you.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Judy. Haven't done a darn thing about it yet...I've been so busy that I haven't figured out how to fit this in...still just eating apples and bananas and such. It's just so easy to stay with the grab-and-go stuff!

Farmgirl Sister #35

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- if you like smoothies and such- what about getting one of those grinder juicers and doing a fruit/veg smoothie in the morning that you can take on the go with you. That will really up your usage of vitamins houses in tough veggies like carrots and beets. Kindof a organic V-8 Juice that you can tweak seasonally. Then pack something easy. Like take one day a week to wash and chop vegetables for the week and refrigerate with a damp cheesecloth around them. Then you can eat carrot and celary sticks with some peanut butter or make a sandwich or take leftovers for lunch. Then for dinner like the other ladies have suggested- use your crock pot. I have even cooked a ham in mine before! There are some GREAT cookbooks out there for more diverse crockpot meals. I have even heard of crockpot lasagna!

This is what I am going to start doing because I am sick of feeling tired and sick all the tiem!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  11:12:00 PM  Show Profile
I have found out lately that cooking for Floyd after his heart surgery-- 3 meals a day has got my diabetes under control. I take insulin and I think that my having to take over some of the work has helped too. We always ate toast and coffee, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes eggs for breakfast, usually no lunch. We just didn't want it. Right now they want him to eat anything he wants and it's been a fight to keep his weight up and eat anyhow evenif we don't want to. Like I said ,in the process my diabetes has come under better control. I've always been told to eat 3 meals a day!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm, Alee, I love the smoothie idea! I need to find some good recipes because the only one I ever think of to make is the banana-strawberry smoothie with some flax thrown in. In fact, I have some strawberries thawing on the counter for dinner.

Thought I was being smart one day when I first realized this was another way to get the flax down and when I started adding it to the stuff in the blender and realized that I could hardly tell it was there. So, I added more and more until I think I had put about a full cup (maybe more). I'm sure it would have been fine if I only had one glass of it per day but nooooooooooo. It was so good, I ended up drinking the entire blender-full by the end of the day. If you didn't know this before...ground flaxseed is a wonderful source of fiber and if you eat/drink too much of it...well, let's just say you won't be constipated for days!

Farmgirl Sister #35

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need ideas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page