Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Simplification/Budgeting Support
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Simplification/Budgeting Support Next Topic
Page: of 4

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  9:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I have been 'under the gun', so to speak, for the last couple of months. My DH lost his job and unemployment refused him durin the months he spent huntin for a new job. We were livin on what we could scrounge. Litterally! He walked the backroads collectin cans, climbed the ravines for miles around us behind peoples houses collectin metal that had been thrown down them, and scrapped out anything he could get his hands on. We both searched craigslist and advertised on freecycle for scrap. We sold anything we didn't need.

It was horrible, but we made it! He has started gettin paychecks from a new job. One that pays more than he's ever made before!

We have gone without everything for so long we are now rethinkin what we really need. We have already saved up about $300 in this first months worth of checks!

We actually stop everytime we pick something up at the store and ask ourselves, 'Do I really need this?' and take a minute to evaluate our decisions. I even have my 2 older girls doin that as well. My 16y/o will take half her money from babysittin and put it back for 'later' and then she buys what she needs. If anything is leftover, it is spluge money for whatever. I have seen her look at stuff at department stores and then put it back, she figures she can find something just as good at the thrift store for less!

We are loosening our budget a bit for a twice a month dinner out, but we have decided to stick to our budget until we have enough for a new truck and a new van. Well...Not new, used, but new to us. We want vehicles my DH can work on, but that don't have as many problems as our current ones do.

We have added makin our own biscuits, gravy, fried chicken, sweets, and even caramel and butterscotch sauces from scratch to our plan. It cost half as much to make a cake from scratch with homemade icing as to buy it. My DH is wonderful at german chocolate! We have even been paid to make cakes for family members for parties. We have learned how to cut back on the sugar and still maintain the flavor of the cake, cookie, brownies, pie, or sweet quick breads. I have learned how to make dinner rolls and pizza crust from scratch as well.

With buyin flour in bulk it has saved us a bunch and made dinner a lot more fun and healthy!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:37:31 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention something. I had to get very honest and sit down with my 2 older girls to discuss money and our situation. I showed them all our utility bills, medical bills, and other bills. I showed them the filled in budget sheets I had. I showed them a calander I had been keepin to help them understand with all the hours my DH was spendin in odd jobs and scrap huntin and the totals earned from each venture. It was sobering to all of us and it made my 16y/o almost panic.

After the intitial paniced questions of 'are we gonna lose the house', 'are we gonna be able to buy groceries', 'are we gonna make it and be able to stay together', we settled into a discussion of solvin the problem. We discussed them gettin jobs to earn their own money for their things. They became responsible for their own shampoo, toothpaste, clothes, shoes, and whatever they wanted. I helped them list out age appropriate jobs and discussed transport to those jobs. The girls did really well and have learned that work isn't that bad.

My 16y/o is keepin her babysittin job and my 10y/o is keepin her cleanin jobs for both her grandmas, but is droppin her aunt mutually. It was weekly cleanin of the dog kennel, which her aunt is gettin rid of and is down to just 2 dogs now. The pay wasn't worth the travel since she was only makin $5 after gas now. When there was 12 dogs at $5 a dog it was a good job to only cost $10 in gas. Her aunt upped her to $15 for the 2 so she could make something for comin out. The last 2 dogs will be gone next month, so will the job. She is now workin for me at set prices for each job around the house that she picks up above her set chores. It works nicely for both of us.

She is gettin really excited about spring. I told her I would pay her by the bucket load for weedin, by the row for waterin, and by the basket for harvestin. She will also earn 25cents per jar filled to help me can the produce and the same per bag filled for the freezer. She wants to learn to can and make jelly anyhow, so this works well as a motivater to keep her at the table cuttin and at the sink washin all day. I told her if she learns what needs done and gets good at it I will let her have a garden of her own next year to sell roadside style out front. She is readin all my gardenin books and has been helpin me with our indoor salad bed in the livin room this winter.

I hope to teach my girls enough that they can pull through tough times if they need to. Although I hope they never need to!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I carpool, but he gets off an hour or so later than me. I have been bringing hand sewing with me and it keeps me busy, plus I have been selling some hand-embroidered floursack towels too. We also clip coupons and make lists. Anything we need we buy on the way home and try not to go to the store more than once a week. I always buy more than I need when I go more often. I make menus up every Wed when the sale ads come out and buy only what I need for meals and lunches.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Simplification/Budgeting Support Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page