Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Simplification/Budgeting Support
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Simplification/Budgeting Support Next Topic
Page: of 4

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  6:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Awesome Angela! Praise God :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:08:13 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear the good news Angela! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  6:03:20 PM  Show Profile
We just had a neighbor give us 3 chickens, a pen to keep them in till our coops done, 2 watering bottles, a feeder, a nesting box, fencing and a bag of feed! I'm in heaven! I get chickens and it didn't cost me a thing! All we have to do is disassemble the fencing and haul everthing home! We got the chickens, food, feeder, watering cans, and pen today, the rest is coming over thursday. We should have the coop finished this weekend. We've been tinkering with it for a while, but nothing serious. We figured it would be a while before we had the chickens and fencing. I guess not! Our $9-$12 a week for eggs just got cut drasticly. After feed figured in, we should be in the $6 range. Our littlest is in heaven as well. She has chicken toys and stuff animals. She points to the chicken pictures and statues around the house and yells 'chickens' all the time. Now she has real ones in the yard and she won't come inside. She keeps petting them and hollering 'chickens'!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Angela - that is fabulous. I love having our chickens, and everyone I have sold or given eggs to remarks on how "eggy" they taste, not like storebought
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  3:49:21 PM  Show Profile
That's great Angela! I'll pray for the well-being of your family!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We need to keep encouraging each other. It makes such a difference.

I am getting to be the queen of free. If you ask my five year old where she wants to go, she wants to go to the park with a picnic. She is happy with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. All it really costs is gas.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to make decisions based on how my grandparents would have done things. They were ultimately frugal, but never had any debt and owned valuable real estate outright at the time of my grandpa's death so my grandma was taken care of for the rest of her life too. So things like taking a sandwich to the park would have been right up their alley.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  9:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I never thought of looking at life that way. My grandparents had 9 kids and my grandpa worked as a bricklayer and whatever other job came along. He even work as a cabbage harvester in new mexico for a while once. My aunt was born in a mud adobe hut! Life like my grandparents! That's cool!

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, the rain around here put a halt to the yard sale. It was pretty good while it lasted though. We got enough to fix the car and finish the garden! We're gonna finish sorting through the rest of our stuff and do a five family yard sale in about 3 or 4 weeks. We're all exhausted and need a day to rest, so we're off to the plant farm for garden supplies, then to the auto parts place for the cars parts. I guess we'll get started on repairs and planting in a day or 2 when the rain lets up.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  3:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You ladies are coming up with some really creative ways to be thrifty. I'm going ot subscribe to this topic to keep up.
We're not as thrifty as I'd like to be. We're doing what we can to be for now though.
I try to do all my errand running in one trip to save on gas.
I have cut our internet, cable and landline services to the bare minimum. I've tried to eliminate the land line, but I get a bundle rate because all three services are provided by one company. So if I was to drop the house phone that would bump me out of the special bundle rate and I would pay more for just internet and cable than I do for all 3. Makes no sense I know.
I save a good chunk of change on groceries by making a menu and grocery list every week. The secret is sticking to it! (Something I'm getting better at with practice.)
We buy our clothes at the goodwill.
I cut the kids' hair myself.
I don't use paper plates, forks, cups and what not.

There are some many things I want to do but we aren't really able to do them where we live. But we hope to be moving in a few months into my mamaw's old house. And there we will be able to do all of those things.
Some of those things:
Clothesline, garden, canning. I would like to invest in a dep freeze to be able to stock up on meat when I can either find it on sale or I would really like to find someone to go in with a cow or pig to raise for beef. That will take a little ingenuity as I live in town, but when there's a will there's a way. Right? I'm also going to check and see what the city ordinance is for backyard chickens. I have even given some thought to raising my own rabbits for meat. My mom told me that her dad did this when she was growing up. He would raise them and dress them and then sell what they didn't eat. I just don't know if I have what it takes to do it. :( Well those are the ideas I have for now.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Melanie - when do you get to move in to your Mamaw's house? that will be so cool.
I wish the house my grandpa built had stayed in the family but it was in a suburb of Seattle, and grandma sold it to pay for her years in the retirement home/assisted living. It had a sort of a view of Lake Washington - the last people who bought the house paid $869,000 and as soon as they had it they tore the house down. I can't even imagine spending that much money on a lot, or anything for that matter, I think my grandparents paid $400 for the lot.
They always had a huge garden - Angela, my grandpa was the same way with work, very talented but just did whatever came along, drove truck, logged, construction,remodeling etc. During the depression they lived in Seattle and he would go out into the old growth forest that was still there at the time and strip the bark and sell it for firewood.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  6:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Melanie: What town is your Mamaws house in? I am in morgantown, about 3 & 1/2 hours away from you. If you lived closer we might be able to work something out on the splitting a cow. My husband wants to do that, but the cost of fence repair around here has held him back on it.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Mamaw's house is also in Boonville. I'm still not sure when we'll be able to move. We were hoping for a spring move, but I don't think that will be happening. I'm going to be renting the house from my aunt. Right now she is still working for Whirlpool. They have been working alot of overtime, but only till June. That is when the plant will be closing it's doors. See I started talking to my aunt about renting the house last fall, but there were some repairs that needed to be done first and of course almost all of my mamaw's things are still in the house too. My cousin Bob is doing the repairs for my aunt but he also has other things that he does too. So far he has replaced the kithcen sink, added a shower fixture to the clawfoot tub, dropped in a 220 outlet for my stove (they couldn't get mamaw's old gas stove to go) and he has put in a washer and dryer hookup. Now he works slow and is very picky about the job he does. The main part of the shower and washer/dryer hookups are done but there are still finishing touchups to do. So maybe this summer. Crossing fingers.

Wouldn't it be awesome if lived closer to each other, Angela?! We could hang out farmgirl style, raise a cow and have a grand time!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  10:18:28 PM  Show Profile
That would be great!
Hopefully you'll get to move in soon. I know how frustrating it is to have to wait for a better place to live. I had to live in a very small trailer with only about 100 sq ft of yard for 3 years. Now I have 3 and 1/2 acres of yard! I love it, but of course now I am wishing for 10 or 12 acres for a real homestead. Oh well, I'll get there.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  08:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I bet your 3 1/2 acres are beautiful, Angela!!

I'm thinking about calling my aunt later to see if she has an idea of how much longer it will be, but I don't want to seem impatient or pushy. Most of the lots around here are super tiny! We are lucky that we have have the largest lot in the park and we only have one neighbor and they are the nicest people! Our lot would actually be big enough to put a decent sized garden in and possibly a grape arbor and we could also raise some bunnies in the back yard, but (there always seems to be a "butt" in the situation doesn't there?) On one side of the yard is where the water line comes in, so there's no digging in that part of the yard and then down the other side of the yard is the gas line. I guess if I wasn't still so squeamish about raising meat bunnies we could do that, but I'm just not quite there yet.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
If it's gonna be a while you could look into getting some animal water troughs that have the bottoms rusted out and do raised beds. They are big enough for tomato plants and anything else you can think of. I used them when I was in the trailer and grew lots of stuff in them.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone sell their old books to Half Price Books? I do, and I either use the money to buy new books there, or I take the cash. It's not usually a lot, but it's still something!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  04:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I've thought of doing some kind of container gardening. I wonder how hard those troughs would be to move around?

Megan I don't think I've shopped or anything on Half Price Books. I have heard of it. The only books I really have are nonficiton and they're ones I go back to time and time again. Ficiton books I only read once so I go to the library for those. But I bet I could find some really good deals on there, couldn't I? I do shop on Amazon sometimes and find some good deals.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Half.com is a great site too for bargains!! I am one of those people who thinks books are a necessity and new underwear is a luxury:) Anyhow, you can sell on half.com too. Not that I would sell books, mostly I try to use the library unless I know I will reread something.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,

I am excited for you, that house is too cute! I have used feed barrels for container planting too.

Some things I do:

~If you girls are able to get a cow, pig or lamb from the ranch go for it. It is a bit pricey initially, we purchase half a cow every year. Total cost for us ranges anywhere between $800-$1000. depending upong the size of the cow. So we end up paying an average of about $2.50 per pound across the board whether ground or prime rib. It is also nice shopping from the freezer, it has saved me trips to the grocery store which comes in handy since we only have one vehicle, not to mention the beef tastes wonderful! There are just the 2 of us so this last us a year (even after giving alot away to familes).This year we will be buying a steer and see how that works out.

~For those who cannot purchase meat like this, here's a tip for saving money. Usually on Wednesdays our grocery stores start a new sale. I used to shop early that morning for meat. Prices are usually marked down because they want to make room for the new sale items. I have purchased pork roast and boneless chicken breasts for .99 a pound.

~We are doing a garden again this year. I will be planting tomatoes, beans, peas, pumpkins, squash and herbs. I want to get the most productive plants growing and also those which will produce items I can freeze for winter. This year I am going to try fencing the whole garden and planting beans and peas along the fencing utilizing that space and making more room in the actual garden area.

~I glean. If I see fruit trees that look neglected I will ask the owner if I could pick some fruit. I have never had anyone tell me no. I have gleaned plums, peaches, apricots, pears, apples, sour cherries and even blackberries. I can or freeze these and usually make pies too. I love seeing the fruit tree owner's faces when I bring them a pie or some canned goods :) Canning jams, jellies, syrups and vinegars make wonderful gifts. I like to bring them for hostess gifts :)

~I love Thrift Stores. My best finds have been: a brand new pair of Vasque Leather Hiking Boots for $5.00 (retail $250.), a free Queen size headboard and footboard, a vintage quilt for $1.00, a Starbuck's burr coffee grinder for $1.00 (retails $100.) and lots of clothes :) I only buy new undergarments, socks, and pajamas and only purchase new clothing if something is a killer deal.

~If someone offers me free produce from their garden, I take it. I immediately can or freeze it, even if it is zucchini :)

What I would like to do:

~Learn to sew :)
~Soapmaking (I am actually going to try that this week)
~Hanging clothes out. I am LONGING to do this, but we need posts first and I'm waiting for my honey :)
~Raising chickens for eggs. It seems like we just never have time to build a coop, hopefully next year.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile
It's been very difficult to budget on one income since my husband has been without a job for 6 months, and his unemployment ran out. But, he's starting work this week with a bang (3 double shifts and one brunch) so let's cross fingers that some money gets injected into the bank account! Since we have Violet, who is now 14 months old, it seems like the money we save on formula (because she's on whole milk) now goes out in gasoline (it's been high here, just under $3.00) so there's never a lot of "give" on our budget. It's always like that--give and take. We still have cable, but we don't have internet. I'm entertaining the idea of giving up the land line--we don't talk on the phone, we have a cell phone through work and I really can't stomach the $46.00 a month for nothing--we don't even have long distance.

Some things we already do:

shop thrift stores for our clothes.
clip coupons and weekly menu for shopping.
pay bills online (no stamps, no checks)
take the bus 3-4 times a week into the city for work
make my own cleaning supplies
make my own bread (yum!)
can and preserve things that we forage (violet and dandelion jelly, wild bramble jam and pear preserves)
freeze and can extra harvest from our garden
use up ready-to-go bad potatoes in mashed potatoes, freeze in containers for "supper sized" use
repurpose cloth diapers as dust rags, dish drainers, etc...
repurpose Violet's onsies as t-shirts
turn furnace off as soon as temp reaches 55. Don't turn a/c on until we're sitting in our own sweat :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - my husband just went back to work too, after 6 months, he had one last layoff week before work started up and that was when his unemployment ran out. Glad your husband is back to work, it always seems to take so long to get caught back up again.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad your husband is back to work, Amy Grace...it's taken this long for Jus to find a job--about a million resumes later, and only one offer, he took it. Not the one he wants, but beggars can't be choosy!

It really does take so long to get caught up again...I ran us pretty short each time, making sure all the bills were paid so when there was money coming in, we could coast a little easier instead of giving it right back or doubling up on something to pay an arrearage. Just don't like that hanging over my head, and I can stretch a $5 like nobody's business!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  1:34:09 PM  Show Profile
You all have some great ideas (necessity IS the mother of invention). If you haven't already, check out Amy Dascyszyn's books from your library. I doubt I spelled her last name right, but she had a newsletter in the 80s and 90s called "The Tightwad Gazette." Her books are compilations of all the tips and tricks for frugal living that she and her readers came up with.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  6:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, they do have some cool stuff that you may not normally find at a book store. They don't pay a lot for books, but money is money.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Simplification/Budgeting Support Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page