Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lumpy Bread dough Next Topic  

Addybelle
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrienne
Louisville KY
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Addybelle a Yahoo! Message
I have been trying and trying to make bread. The finished products are always good to eat. My problem is that I have always seen people making bread and the dough is smooth and stretchy. I've been trying pizza dough and bread dough. I've done it by hand and using my KitchenAid mixer. I love making bread and like I said, even with lumpy-bumpy dough, its still yummy homemade bread. Any tips?
Thanks, ladies!

~Adrienne
http://addybellesgarden.blogspot.com
Suffering from Barnheart...thanks Jenna W. :-)

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Have you made bread recipes out of the kitchen aid book? They usually give you mixing, and kneading times to follow. Make sure you are kneading the dough long enough. My old kitchen aid recipe book says to knead the bread dough 7-10 minutes. Sounds like maybe your are not kneading it long enough??? Home made bread is the best!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Addybelle
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrienne
Louisville KY
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Addybelle a Yahoo! Message
When I knead it by hand, I usually go for at least 20-25 minutes. I get in a little trance and loose track of time. With the mixer, I will let it go even long b/c, well, I loose track of time. :-P I would just like to have a nice smooth bread dough. :-(

~Adrienne
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  04:16:35 AM  Show Profile
you are certainly kneading plenty long. :) Too long?? Not sure what would be happening.
Is it in shaping your loaf?? Maybe try a different recipe??
I usually make the honey oatmeal recipe in the mixer book.
I hope you can find something that helps!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  05:15:48 AM  Show Profile
What type of flour are you using? I find that if I go through the 2 kneading stages as directed in my bread recipe, my dough gets lumpy, so, I only knead it once, when initially making the dough. You just have to experiment, I'm afraid.

I find that my white flours are less lumpy, whole wheat are more lumpy, no matter how long I let my kitchen aid knead it. Right now I've got a mix of 3 cups unbleached organic white to 3 cups organic wheat. I also will put in a little more water or starter if I feel like it. This last time I used about 1 1/2 cups of starter, 6 cups of the flour, 1 cup sugar,salt, and 1/2 cup oil, and that seemed to make my bread REALLY yummy. Also, putting a pot of water in the oven, and brushing the tops with water (or spraying) makes the crust crunchy and delicious!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Addybelle
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrienne
Louisville KY
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Addybelle a Yahoo! Message
I use organic unbleached flour. I didn't know if it was the lack of processing that took away from the *store-bought* visual appeal from it. I was just curious if I wasn't doing it right.

~Adrienne
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Adrienne,
I find that if I add more liquid to the dough after adding the flour, I get lumps. I have better luck if I add dry ingredients to the wet. Never wet to dry I get smoother dough.
That might help you.
N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lumpy Bread dough Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page