Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help our neighborhoods in our town
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help our neighborhoods in our town Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:56:05 PM  Show Profile
We are a town of about 1,800 people. There have been an influx of people coming to our town that are asking for medical help, want to know where the food bank is, and where the lowest cost housing is located. They have infected our schools with lice. There have been a huge increase of illegal drug busts. We are in shock. Our town has always been full of respectful, self supporting citizens that are proud of our town. It has changed drastically in the past three years. A town close to us has started to have local groups of people buying up the lowest level of housing and tearing them down at their own expense. I feel this is a bit drastic, but wonder if this is what we are going to have to do ourselves. If any of you are aware of similar situations and know soloutions that have worked PLEASE post them. Our town has increase theft, burglaries, domestic violence, and hot checks. I hope the city counsel wakes up soon and implement a plan of action. That said, the citizens in our town also see it as a problem for all and all are looking for solutions. With a blink of an eye our town could become a lost cause. Those of us who have lived there for years are going to fight for our town. All suggestions welcome.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  06:10:00 AM  Show Profile
Edited to say, I'm somewhat confused by this post...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Apr 07 2010 06:13:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:49:38 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like what has happened to alot of rural communities. Ask your local law inforcement folks if meth labs have been popping up. Meth cookers are the scourge of small communities. You may also need to check with your state police about trends.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I'm confused too.
Would like some clarification
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I kinda thought maybe it was spam.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Cozyanna, is your town small, rural, out of the way so to speak?? If so, in the past I have seen "lowlifes", if you will, move into these out of the way places, where they think the living is cheap, if they are running from someplace it's a good place to hide, etc. I'd say somebody on your city council should step up to the plate and take things in hand before they do take over your town!! Just my opinion.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:37:54 PM  Show Profile
If I am understanding this post at all...I think you , Cozynana, need to calm down and re-read what you posted, it makes you sound like you have no compassion for your fellow man, and if thats true, that would be very sad. There are cities and towns all over this country that have families who are homeless, can't find work and their kids are hungry. They are moving from town to town, trying to survive. I'm sure there are some that are doing illegl things, but not all. Have you thought on how you might help some of these families?

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:48:43 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I'm a little ashamed of what I posted, guess I'm on my high horse tonight, Teresa's idea is a much more logical, and sensible approach.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the confusion. What I posted sounds like it is not even possible to happen to a town. We are a very little isolated town that has always been salt of the earth type people. We are being taken advantage of. Our pastor is on the food pantry board and told us at church Sunday some of the newer residents have been to the food pantry getting food and taking it to our only grocery store and trying to return it for cash. These people are now on a black list with the food pantry and the Red Cross. I am not making this up and Willowtreecreek it is not a spam. This is when fact is stranger than fiction. We have helped these people. At Christmas the community did a food drive to donate canned food to the food pantry. Around 2,000 cans of food were donated. It only took three months to deplete the collection. Clothes have been given to one family with mulitple families and kids living in the same house because the kids are so poorly clothed. Our county bus that is intended to pick up elderly for doctor appointments now pick up unemployeed folks that want a ride to the library (guess whos taxpayer money pays for the bus). Our churches are churching these people and feeding them at potlucks. The visitors want to know if they can have everybody's food that is leftover to take home. I am sorry, we have entended a hand and they are biting it. 1badmamawolf, I apologize if you think we are not doing enough, but our county tax dollars and our own pockets are not very deep in our little rural town. They are bleeding us dry. I am just trying to find a solution to help keep our town a float just like everyone else that has been a long time resident. All I am asking for are solutions that will help all of us, including the people who want free handouts. I do not resent the people who truly are needy, but there are many that are blatantly abusing the system and ruining it for those who are really helpless.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:46:05 PM  Show Profile
cozynana, then you need to weed out the bad, so the good don't suffer, ask for valid ID's and SS cards. I don't live all that far from Kern, and I also live in a somewhat small community that has had its share of problems in town. Our food bank here is overwelmed for all the people out of work, and with prices continueing to go up. Try talking to local farmers and ranchers to see if they would be able to donate, it is a tax right -off. I know alot of people in differant states who work and/or donate to food banks, and these problems are happening everywhere. You all have to put your foot down when it is effecting the well being of the entire town, and help the needest, especialy the children. Don't let a few bad apples spoil it for all.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately our farmers only raise wheat, corn, alfalfa, milo, and cane. We do not have the climate for vegetables. Or, maybe we do and farmers choose not to raise them. We are farmers and I don't think we will ever raise anything but crops and cattle. The food pantry does not have freezer space, so noone donates meat. I guess I do know of a orchard across the state line. I don't know if we could go pick apples and bring them across the state line to donate or not. Sad situation. I just hope it doesn't take our town under.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cozynana - my hubby works in law enforcement in a town of about 2,000 people and he would say that what you're talking about is happening in a lot of small towns. The solution? I'm not sure. But I do know that it can sometimes be frustrating and hard to keep the faith and want to help people (which I think we all want to do) when there ARE people out there blatantly abusing the system. I know you're looking for a solution and wanting your town to survive and thrive. There will always be people who abuse the system and take advantage of the kindness of others - unfortunately. I agree with Teresa - you have to figure out a way to weed out the "bad apples" so the people who are struggling and HONEST aren't affected. Good luck!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I think that if anyone can think of a great solution we should share it with the Federal Government because it seems like we all want to help and give to the truly needy but, we as a society are fed up with they way anyone can get money. Our society is in a sad state now because of the economic times that we live in but, remember the great depression when people lost everything and were sent out on the roads. Remember that Jesus was born in a stable because no one would offer them a room. I am rambling but, will pray for you, and the people coming to your town that find themselves in this unfortunate situation. It would be a hard thing to have to beg for yourself and your family.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can imagine the frustration and dismay that you are experiencing. Sadly, the hard answer is there is not anything we can do to change what other people are thinking or how they are living without them wanting to listen and experience change.

As for what aid giving agencies can do, what immediatly comes to mind is if a church has room for a garden on their land and would be willing to let people plant on it then maybe they could have a rule about some community service in exchange for food pantry help. Or if that isn't an option they might have to go to the food basket method where instead of having an open food pantry, needy parishioners leave their request in a secured box and the pastor delivers a food basket once a week/month or whatever.

I hope that everyone can weather this storm and hopefully the new community members will learn and grow with the rest of the community being a good example. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help our neighborhoods in our town Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page