CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  09:34:47 AM  Show Profile
I have been calling, visiting and looking around and the chicks so far have either been given shots or medicated water/feed.
I don't want that.
I only want 4 chickens. I saw one place online that did have "natural" but I can't order 25 to be shipped here.
Please help me.

These are the breeds I am looking at:
Silkies, orpingtons, brahmas, australongs.
Please excuse any spelling that is wrong.
I read on Mother Earth News that those breeds are good layers and good pets, not skiddish like some that really good layers but you can't touch them. I need them to be family.

Thanks!
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  3:43:13 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure about your area but here on Craigs list there are tons of people selling chickens right now and many of them do not medicate or if they do they can not medicate yours after hatching. There might be someone right down your street that you never knew had them. Might be worth a look. (I love craigslist - I can't belive what I find on there)
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie- Do you happen to have a tractor supply near you? They do not vaccinate, and if they give medicated food or water, it would just be for a couple of days. Mine came medication free. If you buy from their stores, you have to buy a minimum of 6, at least here in NY. but, you could also sell the extras, or even give them away. They do have austrolorps, brahmas, and I believe orpingtons.
If you don't have a tractor supply, maybe you have something similar?
It seems if you pick them up locally, you don't have to buy quite so many at a time.
Yay for you, going natural, that's what I'm doing too, even though I have had some opposition.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  03:15:15 AM  Show Profile
IDEAL does not vaccinate unless you specify and you can order less than 25. If they need to keep the shipped chicks warm, they;ll throw in extra babies in for warmth, and these will be roosters.

I have ordered as few as 12 and 15 with no problems

Also mypetchicken.com claims thay can send as many as 1 chick.
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  09:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I feed all my babies medicated feed. I havent had real good luck keeping ALL my babies alive without feedig medicated. Also most feed stores only sell medicated feed for baby chicks. I dont medicate after they get bigger tho.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  09:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you each for the information. I have learned so much just in 24 hours. I also thank you Julie for the email with tons of "pay it forward" info! I found mychickenpet as mentioned above and just love that site. I also like the Meyer site as well. I can't buy the min. and can't afford the extra cost of just buying a small amount (they add on a fee for getting 3-I think it was around 13). I understand why but just can't justify it.
I live close enough to Seattle that I should be able to use mypetchicken and get around 6 chicks. They have the option on the site of getting the vaccine. I understand that means of course the moms were vaccinated. Uhhhh, it is such a maze!
I emailed an old neighbor to see if she'd sell me any older hens and have not heard back from her. Hers are pure & pampered. Her coop is like a fairy tale cottage.
I like the idea of buying 17 week hens but those come vaccinated and beak trimmed too. But it sure would be nice to buy hens that will lay soon.
Mypetchicken also offered a "narrow it down" section. I put in cold hardy and that helped me a lot.
I also looked on Craigs list and found lots of good coop ideas, some local chicks for sale too.
Are there any Farmgirls around Marysville, Wa? Please speak up if you have chickens and would like to share info or sell a few! I'd rather buy from a farmgirl.

& eeekkk about throwing in extras for warmth and having the warmth come from little roosters. Thanks for the heads up!

Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought - find someone who already has chickens and see if they'd be willing to sell you a few - I'm thinking of doing that myself as my coop probably won't be built until after chick season.

Lea - Farm Girl #143 at Heart in Southern Indiana
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  03:34:39 AM  Show Profile
If you buy from others though, be really careful about their stock.

Visit the location if you can and of course ask all kinds of probing questions

Had a friend who lost most of her chickens due to some that were introduced and passed around something that almost klled them all

People will sometimes try and offload their undesirables too
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  05:09:32 AM  Show Profile
If you have a friend that has hens and a roo, you could hatch them yourself. We had good luck doing that.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  10:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your help. I took the weekend off from my chicken dreaming plans and I am back out it tonight reading on mypetchicken and loving every page. I took the test to see what breeds fit our desires and it brings up.....Delaware, Easter Eggers, Rhode Island's. Thats for winter hardy and friendly, not shy and skiddish. Can I get your feedback please?
I just can't bare to buy or be given one from someone and not know it's true history. I don't need cast offs right now, thanks for the heads up!
I have a brooder and I just need to order some shot/medicated free chicks and get with it!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic natural chicks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page