Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Wanting to try our hands at egg layers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wanting to try our hands at egg layers Next Topic  

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  3:28:24 PM  Show Profile
I think I've finally convinced hubby that raising chickens for eggs is a good idea. We have some differing opinions, so I thought I'd take a crack (ha, no pun intended) at seeing what you all thought.

First off, hubs says to let the chickens roam without having them fenced in. I say FORGET IT because we have dogs, our neighbors have dogs, and there are also coyote in the area. I say we build a coop and then fence in an area to keep the chickens so four-legged creatures don't snatch them up. Leave that to the owls and other flying folk.

Second, what is a good beginner coop? How many chickens are needed to start off? Hubs says 12. Is there any area that is better-suited for the birds, such as a shady spot?

Third, how much time is required to get this operation off the ground and running?

Where do you get your birds? Do you mail order them? What is a guinea hen as I've heard to never get one? Do you start with chicks or start off with adults?

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/kristenparkinson

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  4:44:47 PM  Show Profile
12 is A LOT unless you really like eggs! When they are all laying you will get a dozen a day. Can you go through those? I personally would suggest 4 to start with. You could build a "tractor". Instead of a coop. You can then move it around to fresh grass without having to worry about predators as much. That being said it is still entirely possible for a dog or coyote to get into a fenced in area as well as possums, racoons, bobcats etc. Chicks are great but you will likely wait 6 months or so before they lay and they eat a lot of food. Older birds are a little more expensive but will lay possibly right away. My first 4 hens I bought older at a sale barn and only had to wait two months for eggs. Since I have always purchased online fro
a hatchery but most require a minimum order of 25. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you email me. Good luck!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  4:46:53 PM  Show Profile
Also I would NOT suggest gunieas. They are very load, like to roam and only lay tiny eggs. I have buff orpingtons and LOOOOOOVE them!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile
If you want hens just for eggs, there are a few breeds out there, bred just for that reason. They lay 365 days a year, slow down a little in the winter and when molting. Start with 4-6 hens, roosters are optional. I DO NOT let my chickens free range, between wild dogs, coyotes, hawks, owls and other predators they would not last long. If you build a permenant coop, a shade tree in the summer is good, bury dig wire so predators can't dig in, and a wire fence roof over the outside run will keep climbers out winged predators out. If you truely believe that you will want more chickens in the future, build the coop now so you don't have to enlarge or re-build right away. I too would suggest buying some 3-6 month old hens to start, other wise you will also need brooders to keep your chicks warm and safe to they are feathered and big enough to put out in the coop. If you want day olds, there are several good mail order companys around.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  5:25:18 PM  Show Profile
We just started having chickens here - we have a rooster (who we only have because he showed up stray) and 6 hens we bought. They are 6-7 months old (paid $10-13 a piece) and they are just starting to lay. Their coop is 11x6 inside (just because that's what space we had) and they have a fenced yard that is 14x14. The fenced yard also has a netting roof as we discovered the hens like to fly out and run for the woods or the road. Our intention is/was the free range them in our larger yard during the day and lock them up at night in the coop, but we are wondering with how flighty they seem to be if this is going to happen - they might all disappear! We will see. We also have a ton of predators around here but we never see them during the day - if we left them out overnight, the chickens wouldn't last one night. So I suppose it has to depend on where you live!

As far as how many hens, I would think 12 hens is a lot - considering when they are all laying, depending on the breed and how good they lay, you could have 7 dozen eggs a week!! So I suppose it depends how many eggs you plan on eating or selling or giving away. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:59:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how much help I'll be as mine aren't even here yet!
I wanted 6 hens, but husband decided on 25 all together.... :)
I had read in "Raising Chickens for Dummies" that if you get chicks, they should stay in a run, until they start laying, otherwise you will be hunting eggs every day! Decided there are too many places for them to hide them around here, so that's what we'll do.
I do eventually want them to be able to roam somewhat, but for now we will have a moveable run.
If you get hot weather, you definitely want some shade for them.
I ordered my chicks on 3/11 and they will be at my post office on April 7, most places say it does take a few weeks unless you don't care what breeds you get. Because I special ordered from Tractor Supply, I had to order 25, and most hatcheries have that as a minimum order.
If you go to mypetchicken.com, they say if you live near a major city you can order as few as 3, but normally you have to order 8.
Oh, and check out backyardchickens.com, lots of information and plans for coops, plus a message board.
Good luck!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  7:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristen,

I am researching getting some chickens too. There are really good websites and I found a couple of magazines recently - GRIT Guide to Backyard Chickens published by Mother Earth News and Chickens published by Hobby Farms. Chickens has a website - chickensmagazine.com. The current Mother Earth mag has an article Best Chickens Breeds for Backyard Flocks. Haven't read it yet, but imagine it is informative.

I read that it won't hurt the chickens to clip wings so they can't fly. This is what I plan on doing to keep them from getting hurt or away.

A friend who has chickens -to sell for meat and eggs- has a coop and then a huge (maybe 50 ft by 60 ft) enclosed area that they roam around in.

Good luck. Dawn

PS. the citychicken.com has many pics of chicken coops.

"though an old man yet, I am a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - dawnm on Mar 25 2010 7:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I love having chickens..and have for most of my life. I have a mixed flock of banties...about 2 dozen right now. I agree that 12 would be alot to start with if you havn't have them before. 6 is a good amount unless you have a really large family. I keep mine in their yard attached to coop unless I am outside to supervise them...too many dogs and other things that would love to catch and eat a little hen. If you do clip wings...only clip on one on each bird..if you clip both they are "evened out" and can figure out flying. They can't get away from other animals if clipped so I don't do it right now, but have in the past when I needed to. Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:32:14 AM  Show Profile
just a thought...we had to put netting on top of our yard to keep birds out. they were flying in the chicken hole. into the coop they would go and eat my expensive food. just a thought

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I currently have 40 hens and they will not all lay everyday.so even if you get 12 i would only plan on getting 8-10 eggs a day. I have plans on having a 100 hens but we i have a large family so have homes for the eggs plus do sell extras. I would start with 12 and if you find that is too many sell them on craigslist!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I currently have 40 hens and they will not all lay everyday.so even if you get 12 i would only plan on getting 8-10 eggs a day. I have plans on having a 100 hens but we i have a large family so have homes for the eggs plus do sell extras. I would start with 12 and if you find that is too many sell them on craigslist!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  2:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, great info, thank you all. Sorry it I am late getting back to this as things have been busy. Anyway, so 12 is too many hens. I'll have to tell hubby that.

I went to a friend's farm yesterday and her chicken area had some netting over it. She said the hawks and eagles were taking her hens and she would have none of that. She also had a fenced-in area for them that wasn't covered, but there were movable covered areas for them to eat grass in and not get snatched away.

I have looked at backyardchickens.com and kind of got blown away and overwhelmed. One day when I have a lot of spare time, I'll have to just plant it there and look around. Hey, I should do that right now as I am at the library. My kids are playing on the computers and I am killing time.

~Farmgirl Sister #986~

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
http://dinnertimetalk.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/kristenparkinson
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  7:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Kristin,

I dont really think that 12 is to many, being experienced with lots of chickens you can only really plan on 6-8 a day from 12 hens. Most hens lay every other day, not every day. So dont let that keep you from gettign 12 if that is what you want. I have 50 hens that are just starting to lay and i am just now getting a dozen a day.My other 50 are a few months away from laying yet.

Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  10:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Did you order chicks yet? Can you tell me what breeds you are intersted in and where you are buying from? I have been loving mypetchicken com.
I looked around out here and all the local chicks have had shots or medicated food/water.

Also want to say thanks to Aunt Jenny for the comment about not clipping both sides. I needed to hear that.

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin,

I have about 20 something-odd layers and I am getting 8-17 eggs daily. I keep mine in the coop/run until about 3 or 4 o'clock when I am sure they are done laying, as I do not want to play Easter egg hunt everyday! Lol. Another option would be a chicken tractor, especially if you are only wanting a few hens. If you have never had chickens before, I would say that 3-6 will be enough to get you broke in really well :0) Like Brandee says, all hens won't lay everyday, and mine did not lay well in the winter. However, they sure do make up for it when the daylength is longer!!! (daylength is a major player in what regulates egg laying frequency)

For a newbie, I'd say 3-6 hens. That's just my opinion, though. I don't think you will feel as overwhelmed this way. As for myself, I have over 45 chickens total now, and I don't think they're any more difficult to keep than 1 or 2, but that's just me, lol! I do sell eggs to friends and family to pay for their feed, which is lovely.

And, backyardchickens.com can be very overwhelming to a newbie. Most of the 'emergencies' you will see on there are not emergencies at all but an overly concerned chicken keeper, lol. Really, chicken keeping is not difficult at all as long as you provide them with good husbandry skills, keeping them clean and well fed, and get your chicks from a reputable source. And, as with anything else, there are a million different ways to do things, and they may all be 'right'. :0D

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wanting to try our hands at egg layers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page