Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic
Page: of 9

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  04:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it wonderful that farmers markets are up and running again. I basically did my grocery shopping at our farmers market yesterday - I was able to get cheese, milk, yogurt, bread, strawberries, granola, mesculan mix, spinach, kale, collards, chicken, beef, some baked goods, soup (minted pea soup no less, can't wait to try that!), and even a few bottles of local wine. We will be eating very well the next few days!

Well, since it's Sunday on to Ch. 9's Question. For those just joining in or others who miss a question or two, feel free to jump in anytime and comment on any question. The more the merrier and I love hearing everyone's thoughts :-)

So, for Ch. 9:
BK discusses the beauty of cooking from scratch and its emotional, philosophical, and economical benefits. What role does home cooking play in your life? Who taught you to cook? Have you taught anyone else to cook?

As a sub-question: if anyone out there has ever tried to make cheese before I would love to here about your experiences. I have never done it but was fascinated - and slightly skeptical - about how easy BK says it is? I'm considering giving it a try though!

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday!
All the best,
Tina

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile
I love to cook as long as I'm not in a hurry. No one really taught me to cook. My Mom did teach me some things about baking though. Most of my cooking skills have come from cookbooks,magazines and practice. I've taught my daughter how to cook and bake. She bakes better than I do, she's been teaching me how to make better bread!

My daughter and I are going to give cheesemaking a go one of these days. Let us know how yours turns out, Tina.

Judy
Farmgirl Sister #932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  1:41:33 PM  Show Profile
My dinner was a big success! I cooked all morning. And made it all with my own food or from the market. Even the cornbread. The cornmeal came from Ketner's Mill about 50 miles from here and the buttermilk came from Cruze Dairy in Knoxville. And with my eggs. And everyone loved the rhubarb crisp. Even with 1/2 cup of honey, it was very sweet. I used my whole wheat flour and my oats that I flake and succanot. And the beets were a big hit. So a very good local made from scratch Sunday dinner. I put a plate in the freezer for hubby and I fed 9 people here.

As you can tell, I love to cook. And I love to cook food I have raised. It just makes me feel so good about how it was raised and that all I have to do is go outside and pick it. The economical benefits are great. Although I do use a tiller that is gas powered. I did plant alot of the things I started from seeds this year. And I bought heirloom seeds so I can save the seeds for next year.

Cooking is not so much a big part of my life right now. Mainly on weekends now. But for me to fix a meal from scratch for my family means alot to me and to them. And to know that it is all healthy and good for us is all the more better.

I am teaching my grands to cook. They love to help me. I always have a job for them to do when they are here. And they love to help and cook.

My MIL taught me how to cook even before my hubby and I were married. I only knew how to make spaghetti. So she was a big help.

And I do make cheese. Really, it is NOT hard to do. Or very time consuming. Just the first initial parts. But mainly it makes itself. You just have to be there at those crucial moments, like to add things or stir. I have made hard farmer's cheese and feta and mozzarella and ricota and now Chevre. I will be making some this week with milking 4 goats now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 23 2010 6:55:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  4:59:15 PM  Show Profile
I usually try to cook from scratch--it always tastes so much better, plus it's more economical and you know exactly what's going into each dish. I taught myself to cook, mostly from cookbooks, but not necessarily with good results. One time I tried to make guacamole from scratch and chose avocados that were not ripe--that was a disaster! My husband is an excellent cook who learned from his mother (she hardly ever used a recipe) and he honed his skills cooking for years at his firehouse in NYC. He usually cooks dinner during the week because it's basic and we're on the go with the kids. I enjoy cooking creatively for larger groups or baking or trying new recipes. I read cookbooks like other people read novels! Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention that I've TRIED to teach my children to cook, but they never seemed interested until they moved away to college. Now the older ones call all the time asking for recipes and techniques on food prep. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I learned to cook mostly from my mom and cookbooks. My mom likes to experiment when she cooks and she passed that on to me - the "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" way of cooking! I have used cookbooks to add to what she taught me, mostly in terms of which seasonings and herbs go best with each other to make basic ingredients outstanding.

I've taught my youngest son, who is 10, to cook and it has really become a hobby for him. We have so much fun together whipping up recipes and he goes to the farmers market with me on weekends to pick out ingredients.

Cooking is my form of stress relief. I make a home cooked meal for my family nearly every night of the week. As much as they enjoy it, it really does a lot for me too since I find cooking so relaxing. My two sons, husband and I eat dinner together every night no matter what (we move dinner to fit any extracurricular activities the kids might have) and it is one of my favorite times of the day!

All the best,
Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort" - Jane Austen
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  10:05:02 PM  Show Profile
I learned to cook out of self defense mostly. My sisters and I did almost all of the cooking when we were home. Our mom is not a great cook. In fact, now that we're all gone from home, they eat out all the time and I really mean ALL THE TIME. We did learn to bake from our mom. She can bake anything. When I was in Junior High School my mom baked pies for a restaurant. We would get up and bake 7-8 pies every morning before we went to school. So....I guess she didn't really bake the pies did she. Anyway, we can all bake great pies, and fast. My sisters and I are all good cooks.

I try to cook most things from scratch. They just taste so much better and are healthier. I taught all four of my kids, boys and girls alike, how to cook, mostly the basics and then their own personal favorites. The boys both learned how to make lasagna from scratch right after they went to college. My two daughters are both excellent cooks. We all like to try new recipes and love cookbooks. Now I'm working on teaching my grandkids how to cook. We mostly do cookies and we always wear our aprons!

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  04:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Happy Wednesday Everyone!
I really enjoyed reading about the Farmers Diner in this Chapter.
Here are the questions for Chapter 10 for discussion:
1)What is your opinion of the commercial role big box stores play in our society? What did you think of BK's opinions as she outlines them in Chapter 10?
2)In your opinion, what is the financial feasability of buying only from Mom & Pop stores?
3)Share a story about a Mom & Pop store in your area with the group.
Have a wonderful day everyone!
All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  05:06:32 AM  Show Profile
--1 IMO, the big box, multinational companies have changed cultures around the world. The world was a better place when we did business with our neighbors instead of greedy, global corporations. This is a soap box subject for me so I will only say that The Story of Stuff, that I just finished reading, addresses aspects of multinational greed, exploitation that everyone should know.

--2 Theoretically, it would be great to only buy from Mom & Pops, however, realistically its almost impossible. At least where I live, there aren't enough Mom & Pop alternatives to provide the things we need and at an affordable cost. We do our best to shop Mom & Pops whenever possible.

--3 We have some great relationships with Mom & Pops. We buy vegetables (unfortunately they don't have organic unless we ordered an entire box of California grown) from a local produce company. We eat at a local diner that has great service. It reminds us the show "Alice" sometimes. We visit the local paint store, hardware, and greenhouse. My husband goes to the local barber. Our favorite, though, is Swiss Treat, the neighborhood ice cream shop, where we are treated like royalty and receive the friendliest service around. They even ask us for our opinion on what the next flavor of the week should be. We feel special!!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  6:02:53 PM  Show Profile
1) I am in complete agreement with you Judy. In my opinion, big box stores are morally, philosophically, and economically wrong. What many people fail to realize is that the money they save ultimately hurts them more in the long run by sending valuable dollars outside of the community. I am reading an amazing book called "Radical Homemakers" that outlines ways to become more self sufficient based on community relationships rather than retail based relationships.
2) It is hard to have a black and white stance on this topic though and say everyone should only shop at Mom & Pop stores. They are few and far between these days and it is true that the prices can be more expensive and difficult to manage in the short term. In these economic times, I have had no shame in negotiating with Mom & Pop stores. I often say, "I prefer to buy this from you, but I can get it for $XXX at whatever store. Is there anyway you can get your price closer to what they offer?" As long as the Mom & Pop is in the ballpark, I buy even if it means they are slightly more expensive. Since most of the owners know me personally they also feel secure in negotiating with me and not once have I not found a Mom & Pop willing to make it feasible for me to buy there.
3) My favorite local Mom & Pop place is a restaurant named Pete's. It is an Italian restaurant and the owners are an old couple originally from Italy. My husband and all four of his sisters worked there. No matter who goes, they send out a free plate of bruschetta and all of the customers are offered glasses of wine for free (they never, ever charge for wine). It feels like I'm eating in my grandparents kitchen when I go there!

Wishing everyone all the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  03:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Big Box Stores have certainly changed the landscape of shopping in the US, but enough has been said about that. Unfortunately, not shopping at them (or online for that matter) and shopping only at smaller, family-owned shops is unrealistic. I prefer smaller, individually owned shops to BBS (for the experience, customer service, and hometown feel) and try to patronize them when possible, but they are few and far between where I live. A few in our area are a locally owned hardware store (the customer service alone is worth the experience)and a cafe owned by a young couple that has become so popular simply by word of mouth. I truly believe the pendulum is swinging back toward a simpler, more local life, but it will take time for more people to catch on. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile
We have a grocery store in town and I try to do at least 25% of my shopping there ( our town is only 627 people) even though it costs more. I don't mind paying more and don't ask to negotiate because I know they need to make their profit margins - the chains get volume discounts that make it almost impossible to compete with them on prices. I'm just so happy to have a store in town again I don't care - plus I get back in extra time what I spend extra, for not having to run around the city.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  06:04:49 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Here is the discussion topic for Chapter 11:

BK describes in this chapter an idyllic visit to Elise and David's farm. If you live on a farm describe it to all of us. If you don't live on a farm, describe your idea of a dream farm - whether it be the one you hope for or that of a friend.

Enjoy the holiday weekend ladies! Talk to you soon!
All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Ah, the dream farm,....

My dream farm is an old-fashioned farm house with everything homemade: curtains, quilts, braided rugs, photos my husband has taken of nature, refurbished furniture,....a pantry chock full of home canned goods.

Outdoors: A barn with a hayloft - loved playing in them as a kid. Our own beef, 2 horses, a couple of goats, sheep and a few alpacas. A chicken house full of free range chickens. An outbuilding converted into a BIG sewing room for me and a BIG hobby room for my husband.

Then I want a huge garden where I can try growing all different kinds of heirloom veggies. Of course, there has to be a greenhouse so I can grow greens and salad things year round.

It's fun to dream!

Judy

Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Here is an article about our farm, in the wonderful Small Town Living on-line magazine.

http://stliving.com/?p=141

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Pennie, I love that article. You sure do alot there on your farm.

I have 3 acres plus a neighbor lets me use a pasture next door for my 2 heifers and some goats. I have 4 milk goats and am milking twice a day now. They all had 6 bucks which I have up front now. I also have 2 big market gardens and go to farmer's markets when everything starts coming in. I would love to have a small CSA. I am also going to be getting some heritage turkeys soon. Bourbon Reds. And a few heritage breed pigs. I make cheese and kefir and other things with the goat milk. Alos have too many free range chickens. I sell eggs. We also have a little house that I want to fix up and make it a B&B soon. So it will be a place to come and see what a small farm feels like. And to work a little too. I would really love to have a herd of grass fed cattle to raise for beef to sell. Also the pigs and chickens and turkeys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Kris,
I love and take much pride in what we do here as a family!

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:50:56 PM  Show Profile
I do not live on a farm, but my idea of one is probably idyllic--without the hard, dirty work! We did have dinner once at the home of a young Amish couple and the food was plentiful and delicious, the conversation enlightening, but the reality was shocking. They work (inside and outside the home) up to 18 hours a day with rarely a break to relax! My family has chickens and honeybees (in addition to house pets) and we are busy with just those. My dream, though, is to have a small farm when my husband and I retire...if ever! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Pennie, Just read your article. Your outlook on life is inspiring! Your farm sounds lovely and you seem to enjoy your life there. If I ever make it out to the Northwest, I will be sure to stop in and taste your delicious cheese. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Yes, that cheese did look good. I forgot to mention that. Do you ship it? I would love to try some. And the others too.

Dianne, that's a dream of mine too. A farm without all the mess. Ha! I don't think those exist though. I am having a really hard time with the flies already. With all the poop it's hard not to have them I guess. I try to keep it all raked up but goats just seem to poop all the time. And then they bring it into the milk room on their feet up on the stanchions and I am swatting away the whole time trying to milk. It's not fun at all. And then with all the rain we've had the last few days it's like poop soup. Sorry, that sounds awful but it happens. I do love what I do but the summer is the worse for flies. And my poor cows are just completely covered in them. I have to spray them at least once a day now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  8:20:41 PM  Show Profile
We moved to our small farm--7 acres--in May of 2006. This land was originally not called a homestead but a 'Patent Deed' in 1872. All that's left of the original acreage of about 360 acres, I believe, is this 7 acres which includes the original water rights to the creek that runs across the southern edge of the property. Many people have owned this piece of land. The longest being a woman named Dorothy and her husband who lived here for 55 years. Things were very run down outside when we moved in but the house is actually in very good condition. Dorothy was an antique dealer and she loves this house. We've had lots of work to do outside getting the pastures and the lawn and garden back in shape and every time we make a change outside my husband says, "I hope this is OK with Dorothy." I tell him she doesn't live here anymore but he always says, yes but she drives by all the time.

Since we moved in he has the pastures back on irrigation and we raise hay on about 5 acres--grass and alfalfa--we have other hay ground around the county. We also have cattle out on pasture, chickens and we have a huge garden. I've written some about all of this on a 100 year old farmhouse thread. We still have about a half acre of lawn but it's getting smaller. We're on a major grass reduction program. We sell hay, some beef and eggs. We've also raised pigs in the past. This year we will be raising some meat chickens.

When we originally bought this place my idea was to have a B & B and a market garden/produce stand, herb and cutting gardens. We're part way there. Right now we both work and then come home and work some more so it ends up being 16-18 hour days, almost all of it outside. But, this is what we love to do and our house will 100 years old in 2013 and we want her to be ready to party!

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  05:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Pennie,

What an inspiring article. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful lavender.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile
I live in a very suburban town right now, but dream of living on a farm someday. My dream farm would be well over one hundred years old with the original wood floors and beam ceilings. I wouldn't want the house to be big, but I would love a big old country kitchen with exposed brick and a fireplace. I am a big fan of porches, so a wrap around porch with a porch swing is my version of heaven. Outside I would love to have horses - three at a minimum and room for them to have a part of the fields to themselves. On the land I would like to have a few acres dedicated to a vegetable and flower garden, and a big old red barn. Of oourse, there would have to be chickens and a bee hive! I realize how much work a farm like this would be, but it is something I have always dreamed of. Even if all of these things aren't possible in my future, I'd settle for just one of these farm dreams to come true! In the meantime, I will enjoy my horseback riding lessons and small container garden!
Wishing Everyone All The Best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  04:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Happy Wednesday Everyone,
Here are the discussion points for Chapter 12:

I don't know about everyone else, but I really enjoyed BK's descriptions of her turkeys, chickens, and roosters - especially their personalities! Share with the group a description of the personality of an animal in your life (present or past).

Also, using up zucchini and other squash is always a challenge. BK and her daughter present some pretty creative uses of the vegetable. If you have a good zucchini recipe - share it with the group.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the week!

All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile
#1) We have a cat that loves lettuce, yes, lettuce! He comes running when we get the salad spinner out. He'll also scratch on the crisper drawer in the fridge wanting us to get him a piece.

#2) Thought I'd share an unusual zucchini recipe I came across. I haven't tried this but that it might pique some interest.

Zucchini-Rhubarb Pie

9-inch double pie crust, unbaked

Filling:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp freshly grated orange peel
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves, scant
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups fresh zucchini, peeled and chopped
3 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced

Topping:
2 tsp granulated sugar mixed with a pinch of ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Crust: Line a 9-inch baking pan with bottom crust; set aside.

Filling: Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in flour, orange peel, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Stir in vanilla, zucchini and rhubarb. Pour mixture into unbaked crust. cover with top crust; cut several slits into the top crust to allow space for steam to escape. Sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake 30-40 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool before cutting. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 8 servings.

I'm not sure how you can have fresh zucchini and rhubarb at the same time. However, I was going to try it this fall with rhubarb that I've frozen.

Judy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page