Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic
Page: of 9

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  6:48:29 PM  Show Profile
There is a farm in this area that has free-range beef, pork and chicken--I don't know the prices since I tend to eat a vegetarian diet. There is also a farm that raises free-range longhorn cattle, and I've had their beef jerky (delicious). As for heritage breeds, I'm not sure. I have a brochure from a woman in the area who raises Shetland sheep but it's kind of a far drive. I grew up in a rural area and picked strawberries for my neighbor who had a large strawberry patch. Mostly I just spent a lot of time outdoors and knew kids who lived on farms. I wanted a horse but we only had one acre, not really room enough to pasture a horse. I used to walk up the road where there was a real farm and visit the horses there.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:06:27 PM  Show Profile
We raise our own beef and sometimes pork, but not every year. We do have chickens for eggs but this year I'm thinking of getting meat chickens too. I'm not sure what kind though. I'm with Kris on this, I've raised Cornish Cross before and now I'm not sure what kind to get for meat chickens. There are some farmers around here that raise organic beef for the Seattle market and there was a farmer who raised organic chickens for the Portland market. One farmer raises and sells goats. I don't really know anything about the availability of heritage breeds in this area. I'm from a family with a long history of farming and ranching. My mom was raised on a wheat farm and my dad was raised on a fruit ranch. They always had really big gardens and we all worked. My 3 sisters and I would spend 3-4 days a weeks, about 4 hours a day picking raspberries. There were also quarter acres each of corn and potatoes. We all learned to can and freeze everything because that's what we lived on in the winter. I hated it then. Now I know just how valuable that knowledge is and I have passed it on to my children.

About the rabbits, Any Grace....my friend Pierre begs me to raise rabbits. The French love to cook rabbit. He made a Rabbit Terrine and gave us some. It was incredible but then everything he's cooked for us so far has been incredible.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, I went to the American Livestock Breeds Conservacy site and found some hatcheries that carry other birds. I found a Columbian Rock cross that looks good. Also the White Plymouth Rock. They are great roasters and broilers and get to 8-9 pounds. And they are only .90 for 50. These are at Mt. Healthy hatchery. Not sure where they are.

Also found a farm in Chapel Hill, Tn. that raises the Guinea hog. They have some for sale but they are a little pricey at $200.00. Also some some Red Wattle hogs but none close by. They have a spot for meat birds but none right now.

So they are out there. I would also like to get some heritage turkeys to raise for meat and keep some like BK did to use as breeding stock. I'll have to keep looking. That hatchery has the Bourban Reds that will be available in June.

I like what BK said about how the chicks are able to go 2 days after hatching without eating. I knew they had the yolk but I thought they ate it. I didn't know it was absorbed into the chicks belly before hatching. Very interesting.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Kris. I'll check into some of those. I would also like to raise a few turkeys but so far I haven't convinced my DH. If he can have a couple of pigs should I get a turkey or three??

April--have you read the book FarmCity by Novella Carpenter? It was fun to read. She lives in Oakland and even raised two hogs in her backyard. I really had to laugh at that when she went to buy the weaner pigs at a sale, in a station wagon, I think.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  7:36:58 PM  Show Profile
That's funny Marcia - that's why I want rabbit - I have tons of french cookbooks, and really love the country french food.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  11:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Pierre IS funny! I wish you all could meet him. He's a Master Chef(apparently that's something very special his mother-in-law tells me)and everything he's cooked for us so far has been incredible. He's very much into wild game and free range and fresh, fresh, fresh. I think he feels his job is to educate us about eating the right way. He prefers to deal directly with the farmers. That way he knows exactly what he's getting. I've learned quite alot from him about French cooking so far. I made chicken stock but I left out the most important ingredient he told me. He asked if I put in the feet. The feet! I said the chicken feet? No. Pigs feet. Apparently pigs feet go into every kind of meat stock. Who knew. And when he said pigs feet, he oinked like a pig. He does that when he tells me about ducks too...quack, quack, quack.

I have a French cookbook--French Farmhouse Cooking. I read it cover to cover, like a novel. I understand where he's coming from much better now but either he needs to learn to speak better English or I need to learn French.

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Marcia - is that the Susan Hermann Loomis cookbook? I have that one and I love it! She has a cooking school in Normandy and my goal is in 5 years to go take a class from her. Where in Washington are you and how do you happen to have a french chef living near you? I think I asked you that once before about 2 years ago but have forgotten.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  9:04:28 PM  Show Profile
That's the book. It's a great book. I live in Pomeroy which is about and hour and a half directly south of you. Pierre and his wife live in Clarkston near her family. I've been selling eggs to them for a couple of years now. He buys 5-10 dozen at a time. He cooks and she bakes the bread but...she says he always has to shape it..just so. The French way he says. We've given him some of our beef to cook and some of the flour we grind. Soon he's taking us--Pierre and Kayleen are taking Marcia and Le Husband, that would be my husband, Tim--on a road trip to the Missoula Farmer's Market which he claims is the best this side of---well, I don't know where. Paris maybe. Tim's afraid already. He asked me who's driving. I think he's afraid Pierre is driving which is hard to do when you wave your hands around all the time while you talk.

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  04:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, I'm laughing out loud about your friend Pierre! You should write a blog! Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,
I hope your Sunday mornings are off to a pleasant start! Time for Chapter 7's question, although this is more of an activity:
Chapter 7 talked about the creation of recipes from local ingredients for BK's birthday party celebration. The challenge was met head on by BK and her family and friends, and a beautiful array of recipes featuring local and flavorful ingredients were created just for her party. How about if each of us creates one recipe using all local ingredients from our region, then shares it with the group? How hard was it to come up with a recipe using all local ingredients?
Can't wait to see what we all come up with.
Wishing all of you many blessings this Sunday!
All the best,
Tina

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  12:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, Not a bad idea but I'm not sure how Pierre would feel about being the subject of a blog. Last year(and every year) I have a huge French Tarragon plant. By mid-summer it's always falling over even when I stake it. So I asked Pierre if he wanted some, say 10 lbs. or so. He told me in no uncertain terms that he doesn't like the flavor of it. How can that be? It's French after all. But he stuck to his guns and said it's not a good flavor for him. I asked him what I should do with all of it but he never did tell me. I fed alot of it to the chickens. They don't seem to mind and he got it anyway because he buys the eggs. Ha! I did ask which herbs he uses most:garlic, basil, rosemary and mint. He wanted to buy mint from me but I told him I use all of my mint in mojitos and there isn't any to spare. I have my priorities too.

I'll work on a recipe. I'm getting an idea.

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Marcia, that's so funny! Stick to your guns, girl! But what is a mojito? I have seen the word but never know what it is. And anything with mint in it has to be good.

I go to a Bible study and we are going to have a pot luck lunch sometime this summer. I suggested we do an all local lunch with things we have grown ourselves or from the farmer's market. They said that sounded like a great idea. I haven't got anything but strawberries at the moment. And kefir that I am making with my goat milk. SO I am having a strawberry kefir smoothie for dinner.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  5:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Marcia - that is too funny! I thought you were in Pomeroy, I think we talked about it once a couple years ago. I don't really care for tarragon either and have had guilt feelings about it - glad to hear someone who is actually French doesn't care for it too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  8:33:34 PM  Show Profile
A mojito is drink made with sugar or simple syrup(sugar and water simmered for awhile), lime juice, mint, white rum and club soda. Puerto Rican I think. It was Hemingway's favorite drink and now it's my favorite summer drink. But never more than two because it really messes up my knitting.

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  05:09:04 AM  Show Profile
After looking at the farmers market this weekend, we still have pretty slim pickings as far as veggies and fruit go here in the Northeast. Here is what I could pull together as far as a meal/recipe made from local ingredients:
Local, free range chicken (breast only) sauteed in two stick of butter made from the local creamery with garlic scapes and wilted greens. (You melt the two sticks of butter in a pan and add the garlic scapes. Sautee until tender add the chicken and cook 3 min on one side and 2 min on the other. In a separate pan wilt the greens with just a touch of butter).

As there was no fruit available yet, I though perhaps yogurt (from the same local creamery) for dessert with local honey overtop.

It was a little hard coming up with something early in the season like this because ingredients were so limited. I also realized that I do not have a local resource for flour, which proved to be a big challenge to creating recipes because I use a lot of flour in my cooking.

All in all, I'm happy with what I came up with though!
All the best,
Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile
I have never tried garlic scapes. I saw some the other day at the FM and should have gotten some. I am going back Wed. so I will see what they have there and come up with something. Your chicken sounds really good.I need to get some kale too and some shallots. I am growing shallots but don't know when to harvest them. Never grown them before. I love them.

That drink sounds like it would be great after a hot day working out in the garden. Do you havethe exact measurements? I'd like to try it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  10:27:35 PM  Show Profile
We had garlic scapes last summer. They were so good!. I put them in the salad I made.

My recipe: Tomorrow night we are having lamb chops(local free range) marinated all day in Pierre's marinade with extra garlic and grilled. Not sure what we're having with them yet but definitely something rhubarb for dessert.

Kris-I'm growing shallots this year too, for the first time. And leeks.

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  02:45:08 AM  Show Profile
That's a challenge, especially this time of year in the NE, as some farm markets haven't yet opened. We could have steak and eggs (local beef and our own eggs) with asparagus grown by a friend and biscuits made from locally milled flour. For dessert we grow our own rhubarb which I make into a coffeecake (again with the locally milled flour and our hens' eggs and milk and cream from the farm where we buy our dairy). I really admired BK's family for planning such a large scale party using mostly local products. It's hard enough to feed that many people, let alone doing it in a sustainable way. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  04:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Happy Wednesday Everyone!
Here is the question for chapter 8:
Chapter 8 celebrates the local farmer and their efforts and challenges. BK tells the story of New England farmer Amy and her innovative techniques. For Chapter 8, how about if each of us tell the story of a local farmer we have encountered at any point in our lives. We can share as much or as little as we know.
Hope everyone has a great day!
All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  3:07:06 PM  Show Profile
I know a young couple with 4 daughters who farm locally on family property owned since the 1700s. They have had to introduce things like crafts, fall farm events, Christmas tree sales, plant sales, hosting field trips, etc. to stay afloat. We try to patronize them whenever possible. They don't sell everything we need and their prices are a bit higher than some, but they are committed!
PS...I hit the jackpot today when I went to a farm store 40 minutes from my home and found they sold a wide variety of Botanical Interests Seeds. I was so excited! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Love reading the discussion, but I'm not able to contribute much I'm still in the process of locating organic sources. There are a couple of leads in neighboring counties for organic meat. I'm dedicating this year to growing organic and heirloom vegetables and hopefully finding a good source of meat, dairy. I haven't met any organic growers yet, but would love to!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  03:58:33 AM  Show Profile
There is a woman in my community that runs a farm that has been in her family for ages. She turned the farm into a CSA about 3 years ago and her efforts won her an award as most innovative business leader in the community (slightly ironic I must admit). She had a banner first year with the CSA - I hardly know anyone that didn't participate.

She has been hit by two factors though that have created hard times -
1) There was a freak tornado that went through Pennsylvania last year that damaged her farm - we NEVER get tornadoes in the mountains in PA so this was particularly devastating and many farms were impacted in the community (they didn't have the proper insurance coverages because who plans for tornadoes in the PA mountains).
2) The economy went south and a lot of people cannot afford to join the CSA anymore, this is made harder by the fact that the CSA price has to go up when there aren't as many people.

This farmer is creative though and opened a little store on her farm with some for sale items, regardless of CSA membership. She hosts farm tours, childrens gardens, and potlucks. I find her efforts very inspiring.

All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:24:25 AM  Show Profile
I know several small farmers here. I am a member of the local market so that helps. There is one family that has several acres and also a store on the property they sell from. They have chickens and they make some of the best nut brittles ever. I just bought some onions, kale, baby squash and the cutest little red carrots from them this morning. They have a lot of different vareties there. They are in Ga.

Also in Tn. not too far away is another family farm. They raise pastured pork, beef, lamb and chicken along with fruits and veggies. They give farm tours. It's a beautiful farm.

I am fortunate to live near so many diverse farms and people. Even in town near Chatt. there is a farm that has a CSA and also rents plots for town gardeners. They have workshops and tours and sell at the Chatt. markets.

So it's very fun here. I get to talk to interesting people all the time about what they are doing and how they do things.

Oh, and I never got to answer the question before this about cooking something local. I found all kinds of goodies this morning at the FM. I have one of my own beef roasts thawing and I will cook it with the baby carrots and fresh spring onions. Then I am going to cook the collards. And baby squash. Plus I found a bunch of rhubarb so will make a dessert with that plus a pound cake I got from a lady that has a local bakery. I'll have that with my own fresh strawberries. All for dinner tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  4:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

I think I'll be heading to your house for dinner.

judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  6:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I am going to make the rhubarb crisp from the book. It looks really easy and I have everything to make it. I can't wait til dinner now. I'll have alot to do tommorow. But come on over. There will be plenty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page