Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic
Page: of 9

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I was able to find a farm offering organic meat through a friend's suggestion. It is a local farm that has been in my region for eons and has always been in the same family. It is very expensive, but the selection is so varied (they dry meats, make sausages, and have a selection of beef, pork and chicken products). They also only have a limited supply each season so you have to put in an order and pick it up weekly. I love buying direct and giving my business to such a hardworking local farm family!

Cindy, your comment about kids wanting to eat what they see on tv is so true. I have two young boys and it has been a bit of a struggle to get them interested in local and organic foods vs. processed. One trick I have been using is creating a game out of it. When we go to a farm or farmers market they get to pick the strangest fruit or veggie they see and then they get to create a recipe around it and cook it for dinner. I find when they do the cooking with me they'll eat whatever is on the plate - regardless of looks or taste. Also, I've told them there a few things in life I will never say no to if they want them - those are fruit, vegetables and books!
Tina

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  06:08:14 AM  Show Profile
I was listening to an interview with Micheal Pollan. He says to not buy anything you see advertised now, He used to say don't buy anything that had more than 5 ingredients but the food industry got onto that. So now it's anything you see that's advertised. He said you won't ever see brocolli advertised. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:37:43 PM  Show Profile
That is a good rule of thumb Kris. I wish our farmer's market wasn't so expensive, the one in the city where I work (30 miles north of home) is way more expensive than the one in Moscow ( 50 miles south of home). I want to support the local farmers but in some cases they have priced themselves out of my reach - an example: organic lettuce start - $3. I still do go but I don't buy as much as I would otherwise. I'm glad I'm growing a lot of my own, and we have our own eggs. I bought beef from a local grass-fed producer who had their number up at our little town store so that was good. I really look for local and organic....I'm kind of rambling I just realized, evidently it is stream-of-consciousness posting night:) Maybe I will try to gather my thoughts and try this tomorrow
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Tina,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you were able to find a local farm. Isn't it great to know your hard-earned dollars are staying local? I read chapter 2 and some websites are listed that may help in the search. The next yucky day I'm going to check them out and see what I can find nearby.

Kris, Michael Pollan is probably right on! I'm going to eat more broccoli.

It's such a bummer that Monsanto, Dow, etc own so much of the market. I found out I can't buy from Johnny's Seeds now.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  4:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I just found out about Johnny's too. Darn. I am so upset about them. I have bought their seeds for several years now. But not anymore. And I think I will tell them too. I just planted the shallots I ordered from them today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Kris,

You know, you are right,.... everyone that is upset with Johnny's needs to let them know. If we don't speak up, how is any company going to know how we feel? It's not likely it will change anything regarding their ownership, but we will feel better and if enough people do the same, the word will get around that people are sick of multi-national companies controlling the market and we won't buy from them. I'm already planning on saving seeds where I can and checking out Seed Savers where I can't. I'm glad you posted, Kris, it just kind of woke me up. Anybody with us on this? Put up your dukes, Monsanto, here come the garden girls spoiling for a fight!!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:08:33 PM  Show Profile
I switched to mostly heirlooms last year, and I have bought lots of seeds from Botanical Interests - have been very happy with them.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  6:38:44 PM  Show Profile
I like Botanical Interests Seeds, too. Bountiful Gardens is another great place to order seeds :) .

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  03:24:40 AM  Show Profile
One more thought possibly related to the over-processed food we've been eating for the last 50-60 years. My husband heard on a radio show that 1 in 150 children will be born with some form of autism. The statistic used to be 1 in 250 (which is scary enough). I know some people think the relationship is between autism and vaccinations, but I'm wondering about our processed foods and the environment? It's just too coincidental. Any thoughts? Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  06:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,
Thank you for the seed ordering tips. I just ordered from Botanical Interests! I will post a question on Chapter 2 later tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to more discussion - I am having fun reading with all of you. Hope you are having fun too!
-Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Dianne- I think there are so many things we see now that we didn't used to that are probably related to the changes in our foods, like food allergies. I don't remember any peanut allergies or the like when I was a kid, and I'm not that old, or if there were allergies they weren't fatal. And all the fibromyalgia and other stuff - I know it can't all be food related, there's lots of other stuff in the environment, but it is scary!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I am posting earlier than planned again with the chapter 2 question (I'm off to Sunday Supper with some family friends this afternoon and not sure when I'll be home).

For Chapter 2, three sentences really jumped out at me while reading. Those were:
1) "If something in our diets came from outside our county or state, we'd need an extraordinary reason for buying it. (I want it is not extraordinary)."
2) "Respecting the dignity of a spectacular food means enjoying it at its best."
3) "That's the sublime paradox of a food culture: restraint equals indulgence."
What do these sentiments mean to you? How do you think they relate to America's food mindset overall? How can these philosophies be used in grassroots agriculture support?
Looking forward to all of your comments!
Wishing everyone a wonderful day,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

karmeh
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karen
Vancouver WA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  8:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Just found this invitation to read/discuss Barbara Kingsolver's book. I am late but will read it anyway and watch as the discussion takes shape. If I catch up before you all are done, then I look forward to reading and discussing another book with you. Farmgirl Sisterhood #888
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Amy, Agree with you 100 percent about the rise in all types of medical conditions. It is very scary. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  04:02:36 AM  Show Profile
OK, some thoughts on our second set of questions...First let me confess that I bought asparagus at a supermarket yesterday (from Peru/USA whatever that means). It was definitely a WANT and not a NEED. We live in NYS which has apple orchards everywhere, yet most supermarkets carry apples from Washington and other states. So, I will make future shopping decisions based on NEED and not WANT, when possible. And back to that asparagus from the supermarket. I'm sure it will not taste nearly as good as if I had purchased it locally or grown it myself, and enjoyed it in season. So, I will make a conscious effort to respect the dignity of our food. Finally, and ironically, I refuse to buy strawberries out of season or from areas other than ours. We wait every year for late June and the strawberry season and then we truly ENJOY the strawberries. We will try to apply that practice to other foods. I believe these philosophies are the basis on any grassroots movement to eat locally. I think most Americans have been conditioned by advertising and the global economy to fulfill their desires for immediate gratification. It will be hard to pass up that asparagus from Peru for $1.99 a pound! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  04:15:13 AM  Show Profile
One more thought before I sign off...I just finished reading Frances Mayes' newest book Every Day in Tuscany--Seasons of an Italian Life (she's the author of Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany). In it she talks about how Italian restaurants do not have "Children's Menus" because Italian children eat what their families eat. She also says that there is not talk of "proteins, carbs, etc." and that Americans have a tortured relationship with food. Michael Pollan says similar things in his books. If we ate the way other cultures do (locally) we would be a lot healthier. Off to work! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:36:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, I will use the example I gave somewhere else about me and my grands at the store a few eeks ago. Chloe saw some peaches and wanted one. I asked her where are they growing peaches in March? She looked and they were from Chili. I said no. We will wait for Ga. peaches. Then she wanted blueberries. From the same place. I said we will have to wait til July and get them from right up the road right off the bushes. Then she saw kiwi. I asked where they were from. Italy! So no kiwi. I will but strawberries from Fla. because that's not so far away from here. Until mine start coming in. I have over 300 plants. I still have some in the freezer. We always pick alot of blueberries to put in the freezer. These kids eat them like candy. So I do look at where food comes from and will do without. I was at Earthfare the other day and the tomatoes were from Costa Rico I think. So even in those stores stuff comes from all over the world. When are they going to realize what they are doing. No matter that it's organic. It kind of defeats the whole purpose.

I need to think more about #2. Good question.

#3. I believe food that is waited for and anticipated is so much more enjoyed and appreciated. So the experience is worth the wait!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 26 2010 05:37:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Dianne and Kristin - I am right there with you on the fruit from way far away, during the winter the only produce I really buy is potatoes which are locally grown, local apples till they get mushy, and lettuce, which does come from California. I'm hoping to have a hoop house next year so I can grow my own greens. But really, the fruits and veggies that travel so far don't even taste like fruit or veggies.
As a result however, we never eat enough fresh produce because I really don't buy it except in the summer.
Dianne - I also agree about our relationship with food, it is just crazy, that is one of the things from chapter 1 that struck me too, when BK said that French people thought the real paradox was how we managed to eat so much of the scary american food.
#2 If we did enjoy food at its best we would have such a different relationship with it - as it is we produce and buy this throw-away quality food and so it has become something we don't value at all. We don't recognize the importance it has for our life.
#3 Likewise just the restraint of waiting for fresh strawberries would make them such an indulgence - we wouldn't even need Reese's PB cups:) - in France ( and other countries I'm sure) they have celebrations when different foods come into season, that is such a cool thing - "yay, we waited all year to have this fresh picked strawberry, and it is the best strawberry ever!!"

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:55:01 PM  Show Profile
I love celebrating the new growing season. Our farmers market opens up next week and there is going to be a party on opening day. Strolling musicians, samples of produce and free recipe books - I'm taking the kids and really looking forward to it.

For this week's questions I must admit that while I agree with and aspire to eating food in season and showing patience in waiting for it to arrive, it is very hard for my family to practice in the Northeast when it comes to fruit. There just isn't any local fruit all of the winter and most of the spring. In summer, I am able to take advantage of going all local and freeze as much as I can afford to buy, but we usually run out before Thanksgiving gets here! I really related to the part of chapter 2 where BK's daughter says "Fruit Please!". My youngest son is crazy about fruit and would rather eat that than chips, other processed food, or candy. So when I have to decide between letting him have a non-local strawberry or a can of Pringles I always opt for the non-local strawberry. It's not perfect, but it is the best I can think of.

For those of you who freeze your fruit and veggies from summer, how are you best able to plan ahead to make sure you have enough on hand? What type of recipes do you use frozen fruit in (the texture of mine are a little mushy when they defrost)?
-Tina

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  8:09:03 PM  Show Profile
1) When I read that sentence I just wanted to black it out in the book. I love papayas, mangoes, pineapple, all those wonderful tropical-type fruits that would laugh at growing in Michigan! I've been thinking ever since I read that about how I could excuse sneaking them in.
2)That was a thought-provoking sentence. Tomatoes came to mind when I read it, our homegrown tomatoes are so wonderful and then it is so hard to eat those nasty, pink, flavorless things all winter. Tomatoes alone, were a good enough reason for us to consider switching to a locavore diet. This year I'm going to can even more tomatoes and veggies. I find it so hard to eat just a few things, I love variety.

Until I read this book, I never actually sat down and thought about attitudes toward food and our food culture. We really settle for less. Right now I'm in the process of totally revamping the way we eat and will eat in the future. It is a big job! We're not in a position where we can become locavores right off the bat, but I'm trying to get us in a position where we can be in the future. I know my family will appreciate the different foods as they come into season more if we wait for them rather than buy the flavorless ones in the store out of season.

BTW, thanks for the heads up about Botanical Interests, I'm going to check that out.

Amy Grace, I think you are right about food playing a large role in the deteriorated health of this nation. At one time, I was told I had lupus. I didn't want to take all the heavy duty meds they try to stuff down you so I researched it and changed to an almost vegetarian diet. My blood tests cleared up and then they said I never had lupus. To me it proves how diet is a big factor in most autoimmune diseases. Add in vaccines (have mercury and other harmful ingredients), and chlorine, fluoride in our water - its no wonder our bodies are stressed and can't fight disease properly. You're right about the emergence of more allergies. It's because our bodies are fighting so many foreign substances, chemicals in our foods, etc. and then the body can get confused because so many things are slipping through. My husband and I take a natural product that is detoxing us of the metals in our bodies and this is the first spring we haven't had bad allergies. I hope you get feeling better, too.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  05:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Tina, I just pick and freeze as much as I can for use in winter. Blueberries usually don't last long because grands LOVE them frozen and between the 3 of them they will eat a few quart bags in a weekend if I let them. I have to tell them they need to stretch them out through the winter til July when we can get more but it's hard for them. And I want them to have good stuff. This summer we will be picking more. We have a friend up the road where we pick. She has about 35 bushes. Then another friend up on the mountain has some and we get to pick free there. And then there is a blueberry farm about 30 miles from us where we like to go. So between those 3 places we should be able to get enough for this winter. The problem is they are so good we have to pick twice as much because we eat most of them while picking!

I have over 300 strawberry plants here and we pick and eat those right away. But I did manage to put alot in the freezer last year which I still have some. I have been making strawberry smoothies with my kefir I am making now. They are so good.

I also make jellies and dry some and make juice. We made cider from our apples which I still have some in the freezer. Plus applesauce. And apples for pies. My 3 older trees are FULL of little bitty apples now.

For frozen peaches I use them in smooties too. I will hopefully have pears this year to can. I love pears. I planted 3 trees about 4 years ago and this spring they were just full of blooms. I am so excited to get pears. I haven't had any in a long time.

I really never figure the amount because I am not good at math. So I just doa as much as possibe when we have the fruits and veggies. Which this will be canning year for me. I didn't can last year because I had so much from the year before. I will be a canning fool this year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I hear you loud and clear. I live in the Hudson Valley in NY and we sometimes have snow in April, so there isn't much local produce here for another 2 months at least. You're right about making educated choices and fruit from another state is always healthier than a processed snack. We don't have enough time or space to grow produce to can or freeze for the entire winter so I will sometimes buy in bulk from a local farmer. We're all doing the best we can! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Dianne,
It's hard, but I went shopping today and found out that the produce place I normally go has organic eggs. I never knew that even though I've gone there for years. Now if they would just get organic fruits and veggies,....

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  04:48:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,
First and foremost, thank you to those that recommended Botanical Interests for seeds. I got mine in the mail yesterday. They practically come gift wrapped with that beautiful box and tissue. The illustrations are wonderful and I am so happy they come from a reputable source!

Second, I was curious if anyone was interested in upping our reading to two chapters per week. I am afraid that one chapter a week might be too slow. I could post the question for chapter 3 sunday afternoon, chapter 4 on wednesday and so on until we finish. Thoughts?
-Tina

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a good idea. It allows for a more lively exchange of opinions.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page