Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic
Page: of 9

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:46:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Is anyone interested in putting together a bookclub to read it together? It's a autobiography - the writer moves to a farm and chronicles her life there growing her own food, running the farm, etc.

From a planning standpoint, I thought we could start on April 19th with Chapter 1. I'll post a discussion question the morning of that day and we can all comment from there. We can take the book at a leisurely pace - one chapter per week with discussion questions posted on Monday mornings.

How does that sound? Anyone interested in doing this?

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm up for this. I have read the book but will read it again, especially with discussion
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  5:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Count me in. I've been wanting to read it.

Judy
farm sister #932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Me too - I read it every spring, it really reminds me of why I garden so on the yucky days I go out and work anyway. Anyway, I get something new out of it every time I read it and I know getting different perspectives on it would give me more food for thought as well.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Apr 05 2010 5:29:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile
I've read it twice but I would love to read it again for discussion.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited - it looks like we have a good group here. I have picked up my copy of the book and I'm going to start reading! I'll write back on this discussion thread on April 19th with a discussion question for Chapter 1 to start things going. Thanks to all of you for joining me in reading this together!

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile
See you on the 19th Tina - thanks for starting this
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  03:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Count me in! This book has been on my "to-read" list for a long time. See you on the 19th and thanks for organizing this. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  03:55:47 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do this!!
As a matter of fact, I am reading the book right now! I am almost done with it, and it is a library book, but I want to buy a copy of my own.
It is such a good book! There is so much good information in it.
Looking forward to the 19th!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:45:47 PM  Show Profile
I am in the process of reading this book when time permits. Would love to be part of the discussion group. Look forward to seeing you on the 19th.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Count me on on the discussion too! I have been wanting to read this book for a while.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  8:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I have this book and read it already. But have been thinking of reading it again. I would love to be in on this with ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
I have read this before but love the idea of rereading with you gals. I have sort of had this fantasy of growing as much of my own food as possible for a long time, it was a sort of fuzzy notion till I stumbled across this book last year. I used to read tons but for some reason in recent years i haven't, and wasn't up on Kingsolver's newer books but I love her older fiction so I picked it up. It was a revelation. I am not sure how I will make this happen just yet, but I *will* do something similar. Sort of bizarre sitting here in greater Chicagoland suburbia typing on my computer how I yearn to go back to the basics, but there it is. Where there is a will there is a way! It's a great book and rather inspirational.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  06:18:12 AM  Show Profile
I just started rereading this book a few evenings ago, I'd love to join in the discussion.

Blessings,
Catherine

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
I hope everyone is enjoying their reading! I had a few moments to spare today in between spring cleaning and thought I would post our first discussion question a day early. I'll follow up with new questions on the following chapter each week (remember - we are reading one chapter per week). Everyone feel free to jump in with comments and additional questions as we move along! I hope you are enjoying the book - I know that I am!
Chapter 1 for discussion: Chapter 1 details American culture turning away from agriculture. While Barbara Kingolver notes a growing movement in recent years of consumers embracing organic products and localism for food, the majority of Americans still have not. What do you think some of the reasons for this could be? In your opinion, how could each of us individually help effect change?

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile
I believe most people don't believe the government would allow food to be tainted by chemicals so they don't understand how harmful it is. Also, the busyness of our culture keeps people occupied to the point where they don't feel they have time to look into things properly. And many folks don't know where and how to find the information they need or its not a priority.

The localism problem is one my family struggles with. I'm hoping Barbara's book will help solve our dilemma. If others are like us they don't know where to find local,organic produce. How do you know if the growers follow good farming practices? I know there are different organic certifications, but my understanding is that the government certification is being diluted so that food doesn't have to be truly organic anymore.

As far as if we can individually effect change, that is the good news. It may not be as fast as we would hope, but just using our influence one person at a time will make a difference.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  09:22:16 AM  Show Profile
I honestly believe that most people don't care...yet. We know many people that are educated, in higher income brackets, two career earners in professional jobs that are too busy to even recycle soda bottles (a law in NY State). They are more concerned with eating over-processed "diet" foods (so they can be model thin) than eating locally. Some people are also over-scheduled, so supermarket convenience foods are cheap and readily available. Plus, many people watch too much TV and are subject to believing ads that tout these convenience foods as "healthy". Finally, and sadly, our culture promotes individuality and self-centeredness, so many people only care about how they are affected and not how eating locally can help farmers in their area.

I have hope though. By educating others by example (without being fanatical, the way some people are about fitness or health foods or fad diets, for example), I believe the pendulum will swing the other way. Just look at the Farmgirl movement so far!

I believe it's important to effect these changes carefully and slowly. I know how difficult it is for us to stay out of the supermarket year round, even for produce. Unfortunately, farm markets in the Northeast are open from May to October, and farm share programs follow the same calendar.

Because we are up against multinational corporations, the only way to effect change is with our dollar! I'm enjoying the book so far. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts are that humans are such creatures of habit - heavily processed foods came of age so to speak in the 50s onward as part of a turn to modernism. Our parents and grandparents - many of whom moved to the first suburbias - were taught that these foods were acceptable - if not preferable - and passed those traditions on to us. We have decades of practice eating processed foods and I think it will take just as long to break the habit.

I know that I and many of my friends have turned towards localism and organic foods as our primary means for grocery shopping. Many of us were literally pushed in that direction as our parents started to receive medical diagnosis of the effects their diets have had - diabetes, dyverticulosis, heart disease, liver and kidney malfunctions, cancer. Changing our diets isn't just important for the sake of embracing agriculture - it's of fundamental medical importance at this point.

Sadly, I think true change doesn't seem possible by setting example. I think many changes take place due to finances and until it becomes financially feasible for most people in this country to afford locally produced and organic foods, the masses will most likely turn to convenience foods. Financial change will need to be supported by government initiatives pushed along by grassroots advocacy. That is definitely a slow moving process.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  12:56:17 PM  Show Profile
I think the culture has much to do with it. So many peope are so busy they think they don't have time to cook or shop for healthier alternatives to processed food. These things are seen as a convenience, and even though most people know they are unhealthy, they choose convenience.

I think change is happening, though slowly. The best way to make changes is to do the best you can for your family and encourage others as you have opportunity. Our family planted a garden at a local church and we will be teaching some of the children and any interested adults about gardening, whole foods, etc. this spring and summer. I want the children to realize that food ... real food, comes from a garden or a farm, not a box or fast food restaurant.
Blessings,
Catherine :)

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile
There's another way that culture affects this issue - we (the US) as a culture spend less percent of our total income on food than any other culture - in other cultures meals, real, sit-down, multi-course meals made of simple ingredients, are a priority. As a culture we are used to super-cheap everything, so we can afford lots of everything, I think the emphasis is on quantity, not quality. I even find myself doing it when I shop at Costco "oooh, I can get 5 pounds of Cheez-its for $7" when I just rejected a really good piece of cheese as too expensive at that same $7. And in the long run the cheese would give me more satisfaction than the Cheez-its - I know this but I still get sucked into it.
Marketing is a huge part of this - a very powerful influence in our society.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile
I am seeing a slow change here. We are getting more really good places to shop now and more people are going there. But I still think most people think they can't afford to eat well. Processed foods are cheaper and they can get so much more for their money. But for every one person that thinks like this there is another that goes the other way. I am meeting more and more people that are concerned with the way our country is headed and want to see a change. So I think we are slowly changing the way we think about food and where it comes from.

I have one daughter who buys all the processed foods and another that just plowed up her front yard to plant veggie gardens. So there is still hope.

Catherine, good for you! It takes people like you to make a difference. Keep it up!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile
But if you think of the long-term cost of the cheap food it is really more expensive when you factor in health care as a result of eating poorly. We just aren't educated to think like that.
Kristin - at least you have the daughter who plants veggies:)
It's challenging too to try to educate folks without alienating them - people are very attached to their lifestyles
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  05:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kristin regarding limited choices. Where I live you have to seek out organic and local foods - it is strip mall central in most parts. I've found many farmers just a ten or fifteen minute drive outside of town limits who happily sell their extra produce, milk, meat, etc. Most of the farmers I buy from don't sign up for the one regional farmers market because of the expense of booth space. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on how farmers and the general community can better interact with each other?
Tina

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  05:40:30 AM  Show Profile
Tina,

It would be great to get like-minded people on the same page. What I found around here is that the farmers market only sells those vegetables that are most common, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. You can't buy a variety and most of it isn't organic anyway. I've spoken with a local produce vendor several times about variety and they've told me that when they order fruits such as papayas and certain vegetables they end up throwing most of them away because no one buys them. It just isn't economical for them.

It seems to me that education would be step one. If enough people were interested in eating a variety of organic fruits and vegetable there would be a market. How to make this appealing to the public, I don't know. Most people are happy as they are. A simpler solution may be to find a group of people interested in the same types of food and form a swap. How has everyone else found others who choose to eat organic? Tina, how did you find the farmers who sell organic meat?

Judy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  05:48:09 AM  Show Profile
The market I go to is only $20 a year plus $5 each time I set up. Which is usually only on Wed. I sometimes go to the Monday market in town. But can't seem to make the Sat. morning market. So that is not too much. But the Chattanooga market is way too expnsive for me. It's $30 plus 10% of what you sell. Every week. But they are able to charge about 40% more there for the produce. People are buying it though. It's about the same distance for me both places. And the people at each market are totally different. Country and city. Then on Wed. in Chatt. is another very different type market. Smaller and some CSA's bring their boxes to be picked up. Very different atmosphere there. That's where I got my Kombucha. The vendors bring the whole family. Kids run around all over. Very fun and laid back. It's only for 2 hours. But this one is where they really get the message out there about good local food. They are always having meetings and speakers. Dinners and music gatherings. They are doing a great job of making people aware.

I love farmer's markets and what they are doing for our communities. Also the local farmers that sell directly from the farm are a big force for getting people involved in where their food comes from. With tours and pick-your-own crops and hands on involvement. I have people drop in alot here when the gardens are up and running. Just talking to poeple about what we belive in is a great tool. Get out there among the people! And more and more people are really thinking this lifestyle is "cool" now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  7:59:35 PM  Show Profile
I think the tide is turning our way, but very slowly. I meet more and more people who are taking the time to ask where their food comes from, how was it grown? And when I bring up the topic to other people, they're usually receptive listeners. I hear food concerns being talked about in churches and other places where they were never brought up just a few years ago. And how's this for an eye-opener: I just read a report that the meals kids eat at school are making them unfit to serve in the military. I think we've become the most sedentary society on Earth, as well as having the easiest, and as Amy Grace noted, the cheapest access to food of any country. Something is wrong when a poor person can more easily afford an order of fries than a handful of berries. We need to educate people, but we need to live our words as well. Kids learn by example and when all they see on TV are ads for fast foods....it'd be great if the small farmers could advertise their produce the way the big corporations do, but that's impossible. So we have to spread the news by word of mouth. But that's how all great movements get started.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Vegetable, Miracle Book Club - Interested? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page