Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  8:46:40 PM  Show Profile
DS is being tested for stomache issues and the first thing we are doing is eliminating dairy. DS ha autism and loves dry crunchy foods, but he does like milk. He eats cheese on pizza.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tasty brands of substitutes?

I have tried vanilla almond milk and vanilla soy milk. He didnt care for either. Next try is vanilla rice milk.

Anyone have any ideas? We make pizza at home and any suggestions for a cheese sub would be great.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  9:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I was little I had an allergy to milk. We always made/ordered my pizza with out cheese. It sounds weird to those who are used to cheese but it is actually pretty good! You might give that a try!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  04:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried Earth Balance as a substitute for butter? It is a natural product, organic if you get the whipped variety. There is also a soy-free variety. Our local Krogers carries it. We find it way tastier than the margarines, etc.

We have found Almond Breeze almond milk as a good substitute to milk. It actually tastes good "raw" and can be used in cooking, too.

It's been harder to find a good cheese, but there are some varieties of soy cheese that don't taste bad on grilled cheese. Still looking for one that tastes decent by itself.

Good luck. If you find a good cheese substitute, please let us know.

Judy
farm sister #932

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  11:07:10 AM  Show Profile
I bought some of the earth balance. Its pretty good. I love almond milk, myself. I have tried some cheeses, but so far, I would prefer to have no cheese than the fake ones. I havent tried soy...I will check those out.

I will also try the pizza without cheese. Eating is an everyday experiment around here for Nigel. His sensory issues are a huge challenge.

Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:14:57 PM  Show Profile
I am going to go out on a limb here, but have you tried goat milk? My middle granddaughter could not drink any formulas or even breast milk but could drink goat milk. But when she's with her dad and his family they drink store bought milk. And now at 8 she is having stomach problems too. She has to take some kind of medicine because of it. So now that I am milking my goats again I am going to be taking her goat milk to drink. I know this will help her. I do know that people that have cow milk issues can drink goat milk. Anyway, just a thought.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:58:13 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest you try to make your own nut milks because you can control the thickness, sweetness, and flavor. Just a blender and nuts of your choice (I like cashew milk with vanilla and agave syrup) and maybe you can find one he likes. I also would say take a look at Jo Stepaniak book "the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook". I love everything in here from block cheeses and sauces to whole dinners. She also makes suggestion for gluten and soy free. I do not eat dairy or soy but love the cheese flavor so this book is the most used in my library. She even has a mock mozzerella cheese for pizza. The thing that is great about this book is you make everything with wholesome ingredents, not some block of chemical fake cheese. Worth a try.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile
HI! DS was on a casein free, gluten free diet too. His sensory issues cause him to avoid cheese anyway and we tried all kinds of varieties. The best we found was a parmesan sprinkle. I love the ADHD Cookbook. It has LOTS of recipes and it clearly states which contain what allergen since so many kids with autism have other nutritional sensitivities as well.

We prefer rice milk. Soy can be irritating to the gut, too and the rice is less expensive than almond sometimes. Jane makes a good point about making milks at home. It's pretty easy if you have a blender and a little time. Sam is very sensitive to sound and the blender makes him crazy. The only time he's not home is when he's at therapy, so it's easier for me to buy than make more often than not.

If you e-mail me, I can send you some of the recipes from the cookbook if you're interested! Praying for you and your family. Children are an adventure. Children with autism are an odyssey! My Sam is undiagnosed. He's not on the spectrum, but is "a gray-area" type kid.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile
I suggest Horizon Organic Soy Milk! Its expensive but really good, plus our friends own it... help her become a neuro surgeon!

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  1:20:35 PM  Show Profile
We havent tried Horizon Farms. We will.

I will ask the Dr about goats milk. With the autism I am not sure about the casein. Its wrroth asking about. How does it taste?

Have any of you made your own milks? I will google it. I never thought of making it myself.

Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  5:02:21 PM  Show Profile
That's a good idea to make your own almond milk. We did it for a while but it wasn't any cheaper than buying it. However, you will know it is pure and can control the consistency. It's not difficult to make.

I don't know if you have heard of this program for autism but they address dietary issues, believe in homeopathy, etc. The link is below if you are interested in checking it out. Good luck!

http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/index.php

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  10:14:27 AM  Show Profile
My daughter cannot have any dairy of any sort or use shampoo or other products with dairy in them.

SHe orders pizza without the cheese from places that don't have dairy in their crusts. I eat it and really don't miss the cheese anyway.

SHe's tried almond milk, hemp, rice, soy, etc. Lately her favorite has been Silk soy milk which you get in the refirgerated case at the grocery store. She goes back and forth between them on a regular basis.

The big thing for her was the treats. No regular chocolate. I have had to find chocolate chips with out dairy, a little more expensive sometimes. I use coconut oil instead of margarine and we love the chocolate chip cookies!

It's a bit of a lifestyle change for the whole family. I rarely make anything with cheese or dairy in it for the family or I end up making 2 meals.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  12:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Judy,

I did go to a lecture last summer that the SonRise organization sponsored. Raun Kaufman was the main speaker. We are open to trying many things.

Angie,

I do need to look at ingredients in all things. I have heard stories about kids with issues eating the bubble bath because it filled the need for a "fix" that they get for forbidden foods.

I really do feel like if DS needs to do it, we all do it. I dont want to worry about cross contamination. I am finishing up the milk in the fridge, but we are looking at all the things that have so many extra ingredients. Even simpkle spices...why do they have all this extra stuff? I will have to look for those chocolate chips.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile
It's so hard! My husband gets sinus infections when he eats dairy & corn products. Thank goodness many companies are returning to sugar for sweeteners but dairy...it's hard! Cheese seems to be in every recipe any more and some restaurants pre-make their sandwiches so his choices can be very limited. Even flavored snacks will have cheese/dairy in the ingredients list. After a while, you learn which products to avoid. Homemade is simply the best.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Robin,
Im allergic to milk and eggs, so I'm always on the lookout for vegan recipes. I guess that's not so helpful for someone who CAN eat eggs, but I like the cookbook " Voluptuous Vegan". They have tons of flavorful recipes. I also use "the Farm Vegetarian Cookbook", which is from the hippie commune in Tennesse that started 35 yrs ago or more. It's kind of a funny book, but they did figure out how to do a lot of quick breads, pancakes, etc without milk or eggs. You can probably google for dairy-less recipes.
Even though I have my allergy to dairy, I can have yogurt and some parmesian cheese unless I am really stressed. Then my body cannot handle it.
I never liked any cheese substitutes either, and I don't buy rice milk, etc, because I never use the whole box and I don't like the waste of the packaging. Silk soymilk creamer is a real treat from time to time, though!
Good Luck!!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Non dairy- suggestions needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page