Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking Traditions at Easter Next Topic  

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Back in the 50s, my great grandmother started making a coconut cake in the shape of a rabbit for Easter dessert. She saw it in I think Good Housekeeping. It's very simple - two cake rounds one of which you cut two long ovals out of at each end which leaves you the two ears and a bow tie. You put the ears at the top of the intact cake round and the bowtie at the bottom. It is frosted with vanilla buttercream and coated with shaved coconut. She used jellybeans to decorate the face and the bow tie, putting a big jelly bean smile on the rabbits face. She made this cake every year until she passed, then my Aunt picked up where she left off. Even though my family is spread around the country now, each household makes the rabbit cake for Easter and sends each other the pictures by e-mail on Easter Sunday (I have about 40 pictures of rabbit cakes now!). It almost makes it feel like we are all together at the same table for Easter dinner. What are your Easter cooking traditions?

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
One traditional thing we always had with ham when I was growing up was my grandmother's Cherry Salad. Now, I don't really consider this "salad" but being from the Midwest...well, you know!! ;)

I am making this this year because we are having ham and I knew having it would pretty much guarantee that my younger brother will come!! LOL!!

Cherry Salad
1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1 can sweetened-condensed milk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 container Cool-Whip

Mix all together. Store in refrigerator.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:15:42 AM  Show Profile
I always make Betty Crockers coconut cream pie. It's not that hard, but everyone always seems so impressed. Happy Easter, everyone, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  11:56:22 AM  Show Profile
My mom wasn't into cooking that much. My grandma was though. Actually both of them were. Easter meant pecan pie, homemade noodles, turkey, candies of every flavor, baked beans with tons of molasses, and grandma's oops cinnamin roll up. The best kitchen mistake to ever happen. Somehow my grandma had confused the rolled out pie dough for the rolled out bread dough. All her cinnamon roll filling went into the pie dough. she had rolled it up before she realized it. Rather than throw it out she decided to bake it and se what happened. It's a very log shaped, very flakey outside, chewy inside, and slices wonderfully. My dad even eats it crumbled up with milk like cereal!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  1:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
My grandma made that cake too only she used chiclets for the rabbit's teeth.
I have inherited her cookbook with all these cut up cakes
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  3:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, the cake rounds are cooling on the counter waiting for frosting, coconut and jellybeans. Happy Easter to all of you! And by the way - there will definitely be some Cherry Salad in my family's future!

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Tina, what a most wonderful easter Tradition, and all the pics you have from over the years. Traditions like yours, bring a big smile to my soul. Happy Easter to you and yours, and all the other farm girls and their families also!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  03:14:25 AM  Show Profile
Candy, that salad is a tradition with our family too and it's so good. We make it the same way. I usually make it for every holiday or family get together. We aren't having it for tomorrow though. Usually we have ham and all the fixings but my aunt decided to have pasta for a change. I think it will be great too!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  12:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Growing up, my family had all sorts of main meals for Easter dinner..always served early afternoon and to big extended family groups at my grandma's house. There were always deviled eggs and always pickles of several kinds...all homemade. Besides that it was very different each year..not sure why. My grandma did all the cooking.
With my own family I usually do ham, but this year we are having cranberry/apple glazed pork roast with baked sweet potatoes, corn on the cob (frozen from our garden last August) deviled eggs and pickles..3 kinds....and spinach. Also homemade rolls and applesauce. We always have a big breakfast too..before or after church..today it was waffles with fresh strawberries and blackberries.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  06:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
The Cherry Salad was a big hit! My 12-year-old nephew wants the recipe!

Another big hit was the Cheesy Potatoes. I forgot to put the onions in but they were really good anyway! I don't usually cook like this, I usually try not to use so many canned things, but everyone sure enjoyed it all!!

Mawmaw's Heavenly Hash Browns

1 2-lb bag Southern Style frozen hash browns
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onion
10 ounces cheddar cheese, grated

Mix together soup, sour cream, onion and cheese. Add hash browns, salt and pepper. Mix all together well. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13-inch greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking Traditions at Easter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page